- Volume 13 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A New Synchronous Reference Frame-Based Method for Single-Phase Shunt Active Power Filters
- Monfared, Mohammad (Dept. of Electrical Eng., Faculty of Engineering, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad) ;
- Golestan, Saeed (Dept. of Electrical Eng., Abadan Branch, Islamic Azad University) ;
- Guerrero, Josep M. (Dept. of Energy Technology, Aalborg University)
- Received : 2012.09.07
- Published : 2013.07.20
This paper discusses the design of a novel synchronous reference frame (SRF) method that can extract the reference compensating current for single-phase shunt active power filters (APFs). Unlike previous SRF studies, the proposed method has an innovative feature that does not require a fictitious current signal. Other key features of the proposed strategy include frequency-independent operation, accurate reference current extraction, and relatively fast transient response. The effectiveness of the proposed method is investigated by conducting a detailed mathematical analysis. Results of the analysis confirm the superior performance of the suggested approach. Theoretical evaluations are confirmed by the experimental results.
- H. Akagi, "The state-of-the-art of active filters for power conditioning," in Proc. EPE '05, pp. P1-P15, 2005.
- B. Singh, Al-Haddad K., and A. Chandra, "A review of active power filters for power quality improvement," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 45, No. 5, pp. 960-971, Oct. 1999.
- J. Miret, M. Castilla, J. Matas, J. M. Guerrero, and J. C. Vasquez, "Selective harmonic-compensation control for single-phase active power filter with high harmonic rejection," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 8, pp. 3117-3127, Aug. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2024662
- L. Ruomei, "A high power active filter for harmonic compensation in an electric locomotive," in Proc. PowerCon '02, pp. 1059-1063, 2002.
- V. Khadkikar, A. Chandra, and B. N. Singh, "Generalised single-phase p-q theory for active power filtering: Simulation and DSP-based experimental investigation," IET Power Electron., Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 67-78, Jan. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel:20070375
- M. Cirrincione, M. Pucci, and G. Vitale, "A single-phase DG generation unit with shunt active power filter capability by adaptive neural filtering," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 5, pp. 2093-2110, May 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.918642
- K. R. Uyyuru, M.K. Mishra, and A. Ghosh, "An optimization-based algorithm for shunt active filter under distorted supply voltages," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 5, pp. 1223-1232, May 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2011908
- M. Rukonuzzaman and M. Nakaoka, "Single-phase shunt active power filter with harmonic detection," in Proc. Electr. Power Appl. '02, pp. 343-350, 2002.
- B. M. Han, B. Y. Bae, and S. J. Ovaska, "Reference signal generator for active power filters using improved adaptive predictive filter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 52, No. 2, pp. 576-584, Apr. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2005.844222
- P. Kumar and A. Mahajan, "Soft computing techniques for the control of an active power filter," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 452-461, Jan. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2008.2005881
- F. D. Freijedo, J. D. Gandoy, O. Lopez, P. F. Comesana, and C. M. Penalver, "A signal-processing adaptive algorithm for selective current harmonic cancellation in active power filters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 8, pp. 2829-2840, Aug. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2013844
- L. P. Kunjumuhammed and M. K. Mishra, "Comparison of single phase shunt active power filter algorithms," in Proc. Annu. Conf. IEEE Power India, 2006.
- S. A. Gonzalez, R. G. Retegui, and M. Benedetti, "Harmonic computation technique suitable for active power filters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 5, pp. 2791-2796, Oct. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.894789
- M. Saitou, N. Matsui, and T. Shimizu, "A control strategy of single phase active filter using a novel d-q transformation," in Proc. IEEE IAS '03, pp. 1222-1227, 2003.
- J.-W. Choi, Y.-K. Kim, and H.-G. Kim. "Digital PLL control for single-phase photovoltaic system," in Proc. Electr. Power Appl. '06, pp. 40-46, 2006.
- S. M. Silva, B. M. Lopes, B. J. C. Filho, R. P. Campana, and W. C. Bosventura, "Performance evaluation of PLL algorithms for single phase grid-connected systems," in Proc. IAS '04, pp. 2259-2263, 2004.
- J. S. Kim, and Y. S. Kim, "A new control method for a single-phase hybrid active power filter based on a rotating reference frame," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 5, pp. 718-725, Sep. 2009.
- C. H. Ng, K. Busawon, G. A. Putrus, and L. Ran, "Fast-individual-harmonic-extraction technique," in Proc. Gener. Transm. Distrib. '05, pp. 556-562, 2005.
- P. Rodriguez, J. Pou, J. Bergas, J.I. Candela, R. P. Burgos, and D. Boroyevich, "Decoupled double synchronous reference frame PLL for power converters control," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 584-592, Mar. 2007.
- T. Kailath, Linear Systems, Prentice-Hall, New York, 1980.
- C. T. Chen, Introduction to Linear System Theory, Holt Rinehart and Winston Inc., New York, 1970.
- Y. Han, and L. Xu, "Design and implementation of a robust predictive control scheme for active power filters," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 5, pp. 751-758, Sep. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.5.751
- J. H. Lee, J. K. Jeong, B. M. Hany, and B. Y. Bae, "New reference generation for a single-phase active power filter to improve steady state performance," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 412-418, Jul. 2010. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2010.10.4.412
- H. H. Tumbelaka, L. J. Borle, C. V. Nayar, and S. R. Lee, "A grid current-controlling shunt active power filter," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 365-376, May 2009.
- M. Adel, S. Zaid, and O. Mahgoub, "Improved active power filter performance based on an indirect current control technique," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 6, pp. 931-937, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.6.931
- L. Asiminoaei, F. Blaabjerg, and S. Hansen, "Detection is key-Harmonic detection methods for active power filter applications," IEEE Ind. Appl. Mag., Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 22-33, Jul./Aug. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/MIA.2007.4283506
- M. K. Ghartemani, H. Mokhtari, M. R. Iravani, and M. Sedighy, "A signal processing system for extraction of harmonics and reactive current of single phase systems", IEEE Trans. Power Deliv., Vol. 19, pp. 979-986, Jul. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2004.829942
- J. S. Tepper, J. W. Dixon, G. Venegas, and L. Morán, "A simple frequency-independent method for calculating the reactive and harmonic current in a non-linear load," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 43, pp. 647-653, Dec. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/16.485548
- A Simplified Synchronous Reference Frame for Indirect Current Controlled Three-level Inverter-based Shunt Active Power Filters vol.16, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.5.1964
- Enhanced Instantaneous Power Theory with Average Algorithm for Indirect Current Controlled Three-Level Inverter-Based Shunt Active Power Filter under Dynamic State Conditions vol.2016, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/9682512
- Improved grid voltage sensorless control strategy for railway power conditioners vol.8, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2014.0673
- Advanced SOGI-FLL Scheme Based on Fuzzy Logic for Single-Phase Grid-Connected Converters vol.14, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.3.598
- An Efficient FPGA based Real-Time Implementation Shunt Active Power Filter for Current Harmonic Elimination and Reactive Power Compensation vol.10, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2015.10.4.1655
- A Refined Self-Tuning Filter-Based Instantaneous Power Theory Algorithm for Indirect Current Controlled Three-Level Inverter-Based Shunt Active Power Filters under Non-sinusoidal Source Voltage Conditions vol.10, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/en10030277
- A Self-Tuning Filter-Based Adaptive Linear Neuron Approach for Operation of Three-Level Inverter-Based Shunt Active Power Filters under Non-Ideal Source Voltage Conditions vol.10, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/en10050667
- Modified Synchronous Reference Frame Based Shunt Active Power Filter with Fuzzy Logic Control Pulse Width Modulation Inverter vol.10, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/en10060758
- Control Algorithms of Shunt Active Power Filter for Harmonics Mitigation: A Review vol.10, pp.12, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/en10122038
- PLL-Less Three-Phase Four-Wire SAPF with STF-dq0 Technique for Harmonics Mitigation under Distorted Supply Voltage and Unbalanced Load Conditions vol.11, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/en11082143
- A Dual-Function Instantaneous Power Theory for Operation of Three-Level Neutral-Point-Clamped Inverter-Based Shunt Active Power Filter vol.11, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/en11061592
- Operation of Three-Level Inverter-Based Shunt Active Power Filter Under Nonideal Grid Voltage Conditions With Dual Fundamental Component Extraction vol.33, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2017.2766268