- Volume 13 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Insulated-gate Bipolar Transistor Operating Temperature: Simulation and Experiment
- Bahun, Ivan (KONCAR-Electric Vehicles Inc.) ;
- Sunde, Viktor (Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing, University of Zagreb) ;
- Jakopovic, Zeljko (Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing, University of Zagreb)
- Received : 2012.09.04
- Published : 2013.07.20
Knowledge of a power semiconductor's operating temperature is important in circuit design and converter control. Designing appropriate circuitry that does not affect regular circuit operation during virtual junction temperature measurement at actual operating conditions is a demanding task for engineers. The proposed method enables virtual junction temperature estimation with a dedicated modified gate driver circuit based on real-time measurement of a semiconductor's quasi-threshold voltage. A simulation was conducted before the circuit was designed to verify the concept and to determine the basic properties and potential drawbacks of the proposed method.
- V. Blasko, R. Lukaszewski and R. Sladky, "on line thermal model and thermal management strategy of a three phase voltage source inverter," in Conference Record of IEEE Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting, pp. 1423-1431, Oct. 1999.
- A. Ammous, S. Ghedira and B. Allard, "Choosing a thermal model for electrothermal simulation of power semiconductor devices," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 300-307, Mar. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.750183
- A. Ammous, B. Allard, and H. Morel, "Transient temperature measurements and modeling of IGBTs under short circuit," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 12-25, Jan. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.654955
- R. Krummer, T. Reimann, G. Berger, J. Petzoldt, and L. Lorenz, "On-line calculation of the chip temperature of power modules in voltage source converters using the microcontroller," in EPE Conf. Rec., Sep. 1999.
- Z. Bencic, V. Sunde, and Z. Jakopovic, "Estimation error of semiconductor devices virtual junction temperature in IEC's approximate formula," Automatika, Vol. 41, No. 3-4, pp. 153-157, 2000.
- Z. Jakopovic, V. Sunde and Z. Bencic, "Electro-thermal modelling and simulation of a power MOSFET," Automatika, Vol. 42, No. 1-2, pp. 71-77, 2001.
- D. Barlini, M. Ciappa, A. Castellazzi, M. Mermet-Guyennet, and W. Fichtner, "New technique for the measurement of the static and of the transient junction temperature in IGBT devices under operating conditions," Microelectronics Reliability, Vol. 46, pp. 1772-1777, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microrel.2006.07.058
- D. Barlini, M. Ciappa, M. Mermet-Guyennet, and W. Fichtner, "Measurement of the transient junction temperature in MOSFET devices under operating conditions," Microelectronics Reliability, Vol. 47, pp. 1707-1712, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microrel.2007.07.008
- H. Chen, V. Pickert, D. Atkinson, and L. Pritchard, "On-line monitoring of the MOSFET device junction temperature by computation of the threshold voltage," in PEMD Conf. Rec., pp. 440-444, Apr. 2006.
- Y.-S. Kim and S.-K. Sul, "On-line estimation of IGBT junction temperature using on-state voltage drop," in IAS Conf. Rec., pp. 853-859, Oct. 1998.
- H. Kuhn and A. Mertens, "On-line junction temperature measurement of IGBTs based on temperature sensitive electrical parameters," in EPE 2009 Conf. Rec., pp. 1-10, Sep. 2009.
- A. Bryant, P. Mawby, and P. Tavner, "Investigation into IGBT dV/dt during turn-off and its temperature dependence," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 10, pp. 3012-3031, Oct. 2011.
- Z. Jakopovic, Z. Bencic, and F. Kolonic, "Important properties of transient thermal impedance for MOS-gated power semiconductors," in ISIE 1999 Conf. Rec., pp. 574-578, Jul. 1999.
- E. Farjah, C. Schaeffer, L. L. Rouve, and R. Perret, "Thermal characterization of MOS-controlled device in transient conditions," EPE Journal, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 33-37, Jun. 1994. https://doi.org/10.1080/09398368.1994.11463341
- D. L. Blackburn, "A review of thermal characterisation of power transistors," in SEMITHERM 1988 Conf. Rec., pp. 1-7, Feb. 1988.
- S.M. Sze, Physics of Semiconductor Devices, New York: J. Wiley & Sons, 1981.
- A. Castellazzi, M. Ciappa, W. Fichtner, M. Piton, and M. Mermet-Guyennet, "A study of the threshold-voltage suitability as an application-related reliability indicator for planar-gate non-punch-through IGBTs," Microelectronics Reliability, Vol. 47, pp. 1713-1718, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microrel.2007.07.035
- Y. C. Gerstenmaier, W. Kiffe and G. Wachutka, "Combination of thermal subsystems modeled by rapid circuit transformation," in THERMINIC 2007 CD Conf. Rec., pp. 1-6, Sep. 2007.
- S. Clemente, "Transient thermal response of power semiconductors to short power pulses," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 337-341, Oct. 1993.
- L. Dupont, Y. Avenas, and P. Jeanin " Comparison of junction temperature evaluations in a power IGBT module using an IR camera and three thermo-sensitive electrical parameters," in Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition, 2012 twenty-seventh annual IEEE, pp. 182-189, Feb. 2012.
- M. H. Rashid, Power electronics handbook: devices, circuits and applications handbook, Third Edition, Elsevier Inc, 2011.