- Volume 13 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Push and Pull Factors Affecting the Use of Outdoor Environments for the Elderly : Focus on the Case of Testbed in Jeonju
노인의 옥외환경 이용에 대한 Push and Pull 요인 연구 - 전주시 도시재생 테스트베드 사업지역을 중심으로-
- Received : 2012.02.09
- Accepted : 2013.02.26
- Published : 2013.02.28
As longevity of human-beings is extended and the population of aged people increases, diverse issues related with the aged people are presented. The neighborhood space for the aged people is required to be designed based upon the understanding of such difficulties of the elderly and the public outdoor environment is an important environmental resource that can enhance the quality of life and promote the health of the elderly in underprivileged area without burdening them economically. This study aims to research the daily life of the elderly in underprivileged urban area and their utilization styles of outdoor environments in order to find out the push factors and pull factors that induce the aged people to use the outdoor environments. For this purpose, this study carried out an interview survey upon 69 elderly residents and surveyed on 363 elderly residents of low income class who are aged 60 and over and living in decaying area in Jeonju. For the analysis of the collected data, a qualitative and a quantitative analysis were accomplished. As results of study, the elderly in underprivileged area use such outdoor environments as resting facilities, exercise equipment, parks, farming gardens and waterfronts, and the push factors for them to use the outdoor environments were sordid indoor spaces, sense of isolation or loneliness, and the desire for maintaining good health. And the pull factors for them to use the outdoor environments were natural factors, opportunities for social interactions, space for exercise. The obstacles that hinder the elderly in using outdoor environments were the bad health of the elderly, lack of facilities, accessibility and weather conditions. Thus, the results of this study are expected to provide basic data for designing the outdoor environments to promote the health of the elderly in urban underprivileged area and to relieve the burdensome problems related with ageing societies.
Supported by : 한국건설교통기술평가원
- 김창국, 김수인. 1993. 도시노인의 여가환경 및 행태에 관한 연구-여가행태 분석을 중심으로. 대한건축학회학술발표논문집 13(!):65-68.
- 도시재생사업단. 2010. 6차년도 1-2세부 전주 테스트베드기법 적용연구 기초조사 보고서
- 안소미, 이연숙. 2011. 전주 도심쇠퇴지역 노인의 옥외환경 실태 및 이용에 관한 연구. 한국생태환경건축학회 추계학술발표대회 논문집 12(2):469-474.
- 정훈, 최창환, 강만호, 유우상, 주석중. 2008. 대한건축학회지회연합논문집 10(4): 71-78.
- 한국갤럽조사연구소, 1990. 한국노인의 생활과 의식구조.
- 통계청. 2011. 노인이 경험하는 가장 어려운 문제. http://kosis.kr/gen_etl/start.jsp?orgId=117&tblId=DT_11771_2011N095&conn_path=I2&path=NSI
- 통계청. 소득10분위별 가구당 가계수지(전국,2인이상) http://kosis.kr/gen_etl/start.jsp?orgId=101&tblId=DT_1L9H008&conn_path=I2&path=NSI
- Blair, S.N. 2009. Physucal inactivity: the biggest public health problem of the 21st century. Br J Sports Med 43:1-2.
- Fee, E., Porter, D. 1992. Public health, preventive medicine and professionalization: England and America in the nineteenth century. In A. Wear(eds.). Medicine in society. Historical essays. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 249-275.
- Frumkin, H., Frank, L., Jackson, R. 2004. Urban sprawl and public health. Island, Washington.
- Joseph, A., Zimring, C., Harris-Kojetin, L., Kiefer, K. 2005. Presence and Visibility of Outdoor and Indoor Physical Activity Features and Participation in Physical Activity Among Older Adults in Retirement Communities. In S. Rodiek, B. Schwarz(eds.). The Role of the Outdoors in Residential Environments for Aging. New York: The Haworth Press.
- Kono, A., Kai, I., Sakano, C., and Rubenstein, L.Z. 2004. Frequency of going out doors:A predictor of functional and psychosocial change among ambulatory frail elders living at home, Journal of Gerontology: Medical Sciences, 59A
- Lee, E.S. 1966. "A Theory of Migration". University of Pennsylvania.
- Macintyre, S., Maciver, S.,Sooman, A. 1993. Area, class and health: should we be focusing on places or people? Jounal of Social Policy 22: 213-234. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0047279400019310
- 공인덕, 예병일. 2010. 죽음을 부르는 가장 큰 원인은?, Pressian. 2010.02.04. http://www.pressian.com/article/article.asp?article_num=60100204085728
- Muniz-Solari, O., Li, W., Schleicher, Y. 2010. Migration conceptual framework: Why do people move to work in another place or country? In Solem, M., Klein, P., Muniz-Solari, O., Ray, W.(eds.). AAG Center for Global Geography Education. http://globalgeography.aag.org.
- Nakajima, Y. 2010. 2010시니어 트렌드 포럼. 2010. 9.15. 중앙일보 주최. 서울코엑스.
- Rodiek, S. 2005. Resident Perceptions of Physical Environment Features that Influence Outdoor Usage at Assisted Living Facilities. In S. Rodiek, B. Schwarz, eds. The Role of the Outdoors in Residential Environments for Aging. New York :The Haworth Press.
- Shephard, R.J. 1997. Aging, physical activity, and health. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
- Studenski, S., Perera, S., Patel, K., Rosano, C., Faulkner, K., Inzitari, M., Brach, J., Chandler, J., Cawthon, P., Connor, E. B., Nevitt, M., Visser, M., Kritchevsky, S., Badinelli, S., Harris, T., Newman, A. B., Cauley, J., Ferrucci, L., Garalnik, J. 2011. Gait speed and survival in older adults. Journal of American Medical Association 301(1):93-94.
- USDHHS. 1996. Physical activity and health: A report of the surgeon general. Atlanta, GA:U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion.