- Volume 14 Issue 2
Radiative heating phenomena occurring in planetary entry flights are reviewed for the purpose of educating those who are not familiar with the problem. How the radiative heat transfer rates to the Apollo entry vehicle were measured and analyzed are first described. Next, the effects of thermo-chemical non-equilibrium on radiation are summarized. Then the radiation problems in entry flights into other planets are reviewed. Finally, unsolved problems are enumerated.
- Keck, J. C., Camm, J. C., Kivel, B., and Wentink, T., Jr., "Radiation from Hot Air: Part II", Annals of Physics, Vol. 7, 1959, pp. 1-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-4916(59)90045-4
- Armstrong, B. H., Sokoloff, J., Nicholls, R. W., Holland, D. H. Meyerott, R. E., "Radiative Properties of High Temperature Air", Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer, Vol. 1, No. 1, 1961, pp. 143-169. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-4073(61)90020-6
- Allen, R. A., "Air Radiation Tables: Spectral Distribution Functions for Molecular Band Systems", AVCO-Everett Research Laboratory Research Report 236, 1966.
- Allen, R. A., "Nonequilibrium Shock Front Rotat-ional, Vibrational and Electronic Temperature Measure-ments", AVCO-Everett Research Laboratory Research Report 186. 1964.
- Page, W. A., and Arnold, J. O., "Shock-Layer Radiation of Blunt Bodies at Reentry Velocities", NASA Technical Report R-193, 1964.
- Sharma, S. P., Gillespie, W. D., and Meyer, S. A., "Shock Front Radiation Measurement in Air", AIAA Paper 91-0573, 1991.
- Park, C., "Stagnation-Point Radiation for Apollo 4", Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 18, No. 3, 2004, pp. 348-357.
- Ried, R. C., Jr., Rochelle, W. C., and Milhoan, J. D., "Radiative Heating to the Apollo Command Module: Engineering Predictions and Flight Measurement", NASA TM X-58091.
- Park, C., "Radiative to Convective Heat Flux Conversion by Boundary Layer Absorption", 47th AIAA Aerospace Science Meeting, Orlando, 2009.
- Woodward, H. T., "Predictions of Shock-Layer Radiation From Molecular Band Systems in Proposed Planetary Atmospheres", NASA TN D-3850, 1967.
- Tauber, M. E., and Sutton, K., "Stagnation-Point Radiative Heating Relations for Earth and Mars Entries", Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 28, No. 1, 1992, pp. 40-42.
- Park, C., "Assessment of Two-Temperature Kinetic Model for Ionizing Nitrogen", Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 2, No. 3, 1988, pp. 8-16. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.55
- Park, C., Nonequilibrium Hypersonic Aerothermodynamics, John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, 1990, pp. 281.
- Cauchon, D. L., "Radiative Heating Results From the Fire II Flight Experiment at a Reentry Velocity of 11.4 Kilometers per Second", NASA TM X-1402, 1967.
- Arnold, J. O., and Whiting, E. E., "Nonequilibrium Effects on Shock-Layer Radiometry During Earth Entry", Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer, Vol. 13, No. 9, 1973, pp. 861-870. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-4073(73)90126-X
- Levin, D. A., Candler, G. V., Collins, R. J., Erdman, P. W., Zipf, E. C., and Howlett, L. C., "Examination of Theory for Bow Shock Ultraviolet Rocket Expeirment - 1", Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 8, No. 3, 1994, pp. 447- 452. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.563
- Park, C. S., Bershader, D., and Park, C., "Radiative Emission From the Simulated Shock Layer of the Huygens Probe", Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 10, No. 10, 1996, pp. 563-569. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.830
- Lee, E-S., Park, C., and Chang, K-S., "Shock-Tube Determination of CN Formation Rate in a CO-N2 Mixture", Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 21, No. 1, 2007, pp. 50-56. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.25144
- Park, C., "Nonequilibrium Chemistry and Radiation for Neptune Entry", Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 48, No. 6, 2011, pp. 897-903. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.51810
- Park, C., "Viscous Shock Layer Calculation of Stagnation-Region Heating Environment", to be published in Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets.
- Park, C., and Ahn, H. K., "Stagnation-Point Heat Transfer Rates for Pioneer-Venus Probes", Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 13, No. 1, 1999, pp. 33-41. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.6426
- Park, C., "Stagnation-Region Heating Environment of the Galileo Probe", Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 23, No. 3, 2009, pp. 417-424. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.38712
- Matsuyama, S., Ohnishi, N., Sasoh, A., and Sawada, K., "Numerical Simulation of Galileo Probe Entry Flowfield with Radiation and Ablation", Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 19, No. 1, 2005, pp. 28-35. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.10264
- Park, C., "Injection-Induced Turbulence in Stagnation- Point Boundary Layers", AIAA Journal, Vol. 22, No. 2, 1984, pp. 219-225. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.8371
- Winter, M. W., and Trumble, K. A., "Near-Ultraviolet Emission Spectroscopy During an Airborne Observation of the Stardust Reentry", Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 48, No. 1, 2011, pp. 59-71. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.38176
- Fujita, K., Takayanagi, H., Suzuki, T., Yanagisawa, T., Kurosaki, H., and Yamamoto, M., "Optical Tracking and Spectroscopic Measurement of Hayabusa Capsule Reentry Fireball", 49th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Orlando, 2011.
- Park, C., "Hypersonic Aerothermodynamics: Past, Present, and Future", International Journal of Aerospace Sciences, Vol. 14, No. 1, 2013, pp. 1-10.
- Park, C., "Rosseland mean Opacities of Air and H-Chondrite Vapor in Meteor Entry Problems", to be published in Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer.