- Volume 14 Issue 2
The development of high performance fabrics have advanced body armor technology and improved ballistic performance while maintaining flexibility. Utilization of the shear thickening phenomenon exhibited by Shear Thickening Fluids (STF) has allowed further enhancement without hindering flexibility of the fabric through a process of impregnation. The effect of STF impregnation on the ballistic performance of fabrics has been studied for impact velocities below 700 m/s. Studies of STF-impregnated fabrics for high velocity impacts, which would provide a transition to significantly higher velocity ranges, are lacking. This study aims to investigate the effect of STF impregnation on the high velocity impact characteristics of Kevlar fabric by effectively dispersing silica nanoparticles in a suspension, impregnating Kevlar fabrics, and performing high velocity impact experiments with projectile velocities in the range of 1 km/s to compare the post impact characteristics between neat Kevlar and impregnated Kevlar fabrics. 100 nm diameter silica nanoparticles were dispersed using a homogenizer and sonicator in a solution of polyethylene glycol (PEG) and diluted with methanol for effective impregnation to Kevlar fabric, and the methanol was evaporated in a heat oven. High velocity impact of STF-impregnated Kevlar fabric revealed differences in the post impact rear formation compared to neat Kevlar.
Shear Thickening Fluid;High Velocity Impact;Energy Absorption;STF Impregnated Kevlar Fabric
- Hoffman, R. L., "Explanations for the cause of shear thickening in concentrated colloidal suspensions", Journal of Rheology, Vol. 42, No. 1, 1998, pp. 111-123. DOI:10.5139/ IJASS.2010.11.4.285 https://doi.org/10.1122/1.550884
- Lee, Y. S., Wetzel, E. D., and Wagner, N. J., "The ballistic impact characteristics of Kevlar woven fabrics impregnated with a colloidal shear thickening fluid", Journal of Materials Science, Vol. 38, Issue 13, 2003, pp. 2825-2833. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1024424200221
- Clements, F. E., and Mahfuz, H., "Enhancing the stab resistance of flexible body armor using functionalized SiO2 nanoparticles", 16th International Conference on Composite Materials, Kyoto, Japan, 8-13 July 2007.
- Kim, C. G., Kim, I. J., Lim, G., and Yoon, B. I., "The ballistic impact characteristics of woven fabrics impregnated with a colloidal suspension and flattened rolls", Advances in Science and Technology, Vol. 71, 2010, pp. 74-79. DOI: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AST.71.74 https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AST.71.74
- Lee, B. W., Kim, I.-J., and Kim, C. G., "The influence of the particle size of silica on the ballistic performance of fabrics impregnated with silica colloidal suspension", Journal of Composite Materials, November 2009, Vol. 43, No. 23, pp. 2679-2698. DOI: 10.1177/0021998309345292 https://doi.org/10.1177/0021998309345292
- Park, J. L., Yoon, B. I., Paik, J. G., and Kang, T. J., "Ballistic performance of p-aramid fabrics impregnated with shear thickening fluid; Part I - Effect of laminating sequence", Textile Research Journal, April 2012, Vol. 82, No. 6, pp. 527- 541. DOI: 10.1177/0040517511420753 https://doi.org/10.1177/0040517511420753
- Wetzel, E. D., Lee, Y. S., Egres, R. G., Kirkwood, K. M., and Kirkwood, J. E., "The effect of rheological parameters on the ballistic properties of shear thickening fluid (STF) Kevlar composites", AIP Conference Proceedings, Vol. 712, Issue 1, 2004, pp. 288-293. DOI: 10.1063/1.1766538 https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1766538
- Egres Jr., R. G., Decker, M. J., Halbach, C. J., Lee, Y. S., Kirkwood, J. E., Kirkwood, K. M., Wagner, N. J., and Wetzel, E. D., "Stab resistance of shear thickening fluid (STF) - Kevlar composites for body armor applications", Proceedings of the 24th Army Science Conference, Orlando, Florida, Nov. 29-Dec. 2, 2004.
- Bohannan, A. L., and Fahrenthold, E. P., "Simulation of STF Kevlar shielding performance in a stuffed whipple configuration", 50th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, Palm Springs, California, 4-7 May 2009. DOI: 10.2514/6.2009-2400 https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2009-2400
- Kang, T. J., Hong, K. H., and Yoo, M. R., "Preparation and properties of fumed silica/Kevlar composite fabrics for application of stab resistance material", Fibers and Polymers, Vol. 11, No. 5, 2010, pp. 719-724. DOI: 10.1007/s12221-010-0719-z https://doi.org/10.1007/s12221-010-0719-z
- Laible, R. C., Ballistic materials and penetration mechanics. Method and phenomena: their applications in science and technology, Vol. 5, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1980, Chapter 4.
- Complex Fluids in Energy Dissipating Systems vol.6, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2013.14.2.140
연구 과제 주관 기관 : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)