- Volume 33 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Behavior Analysis of PPWS Sockets for Suspension Bridges Considering Frictional Contact
마찰 접촉을 고려한 현수교 PPWS용 소켓의 거동 해석
- Yoo, Hoon (Hyundai E&C R&D division) ;
- Lee, Sung-Hyung (Hyundai E&C R&D division) ;
- Seo, Ju-Won (Hyundai E&C R&D division)
- Received : 2012.08.21
- Accepted : 2013.06.03
- Published : 2013.07.30
A sophisticated finite element model is illustrated to analyze the behavior of Prefabricated Parallel Wire Strand(PPWS) sockets for main cables of suspension bridges. An orthotropic model is proposed for the casting material by considering both effects of individual wires and a casting alloy, and the contact between surfaces of a socket and a casting alloy is idealized by using the Coulomb friction and the surface-based contact model. The proposed FE model is verified by comparing the strain distributions obtained from the tensile test and FE analysis. The mechanical behavior of a socket is investigated with respect to the variation of the frictional coefficient. The result shows that the friction between surfaces significantly diminishes the stress concentration of a socket and a casting alloy, and the normal stress from the design equation represents the averaged value of the upper and lower quartiles in the distribution of contact stresses between a socket and a casting alloy.
Supported by : 국토해양부
- Brandon, J. E., Chaplin C. R. and Ridge, I. M. L. (2001). "Analysis of a resin socket termination for a wire rope." J. of Strain Anal. Eng., Vol. 36, No. 1, pp. 71-88. https://doi.org/10.1243/0309324011512621
- Brandon, J. E. and Ridge, I. M. L. (2003). "Comparison of white metal and resin socket terminations for wire ropes." J. of Strain Anal. Eng., Vol. 38, No. 2, pp. 149-160. https://doi.org/10.1243/030932403321163677
- Feyrer, K. (2010). Wire ropes - tension, endurance, reliability, Springer, Germany.
- Flory, J. F., McKenna, H. A. and Gibson, P. T. (1995). "Improvement in potted socket terminations." OCEANS '95. MTS/IEEE. Challenges of Our Changing Global Environment. Conference Proceedings, Vol. 2, pp. 1345-1353.
- HSBA-Honshu Shikoku Bridge Autority (1989). HBS 3503 Prefabricated parallel wire strand.
- JSA-Japanese Standard Association (1995). JIS F 3432 Ship's steel wire sockets.
- Komura, T., Wada, K., Takano, H. and Sakamoto, Y. (1990). "Study into mechanical properties and design method of large cable sockets." Structural/Earthquake Eng., JSCE, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 251-262.
- Korean Agency for Technology Standards (2001). KS D 4101 Carbon steel castings.
- NADCA-North American Die Casting Association (2006). NADCA product specification standards for die castings, USA.
- Podolny, W. and Scalzi, J. B. (1986). Construction and design of cable-stayed bridges, Wiley.
- Seo, J. W., Jung, W., Cho, E. K. and Yoo, H. (2010). "Parametric analysis to determine optimum geometries of PPWS sockets in cable-suspension bridges." 2010 Annual Conference of Korean Society of Steel Construction, pp. 35-36 (in Korean).
- Simulia (2010). ABAQUS Analysis user's manual.
- Verreet, R. (1999). Wire rope end connections, CASAR, Germany.
- Waisman, H., Montoya, A., Betti, R. and Noyan, L. C. (2011). "Load transfer and recovery length in parallel wires of suspension bridge cables." J. of Eng. Mech., ASCE, Vol. 137, No. 4, pp. 227-237. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000220
- Wire Rope Technical Board (2005). Wire rope users manual, 4th edition. USA.
- Yoo, H., Jung, W. and Seo, J. W. (2010a). "Design and verification of safety factor for PPWS sockets of suspension bridges." 2010 Annual Conference of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, p. 2517 (in Korean).
- Yoo, H., Lee, S. H. and Seo, J. W. (2013). "Effect of the tapered angle on the ultimate load factors of PPWS sockets in main cables of suspension bridges." J. of Civil Eng., KSCE, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 47-59 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.12652/Ksce.2013.33.1.047
- Yoo, H., Seo, J. W. and Lee, S. H. (2011). "Applicability verification of high-strength parallel wire strands by tensile tests." J. of Civil Eng., KSCE, Vol. 31, No. 6A, pp. 435-447 (in Korean).
- Yoo, H., Seo, J. W., Jung, W. and Lee, S. H. (2010b). "Parametric study of optimum design variables of PPWS socket and stability analysis." 2010 COSEIK Annual Conference, Computational Structural Engineering Institute of Korea.