- Volume 19 Issue 3
Yellow clay dispersion has been applied to minimize fisheries impact by the red tide Cochlodinium polykrikoides blooms in Korean coasts since 1995. The present preliminary study documents the effect of yellow clay on Korean rockfish, Sebastes schlegelii, in terms of oxygen consumption rate (OCR). The OCR in the low clay suspension (0.05 and 0.23 %, w/w) showed normal level compared to the control. In contrast, the OCR for each one of three replicates in the high clay suspension (1.16 and 5.58 %, w/w) was not returned to the previous level that clay was not treated, indicating that high clay suspension (
Yellow clay;Fisheries impact;HABs;Oxygen consumption rate;Korean rockfish;Sebastes schlegelii
- Archambault, M. C., M. Bricelj, J. Grant and D. Anderson(2002), Effects of clay, used to control harmful algal blooms, on juvenile hard clams, Mercenaria mercenaria. Journal of Shellfish Research, Vol. 21, p. 395.
- Bae, H. M., C. S. Kim, S. Y. Kim, Y. C. Cho and S. J. Yun(2000), New control technique of harmful algal blooms by electrolytic sea water mixed with yellow loess. Proceedings of Autumn meeting of the Korean Fisheries Society, pp. 143-144.
- Brett, J. R.(1971), Energetic responses of salmon to temperature. A study of some thermal relations in the physiology and freshwater ecology of sockeye salmon (O. nerka). American Zoologists, Vol. 11, pp. 99-113. https://doi.org/10.1093/icb/11.1.99
- Cao, X., Z. Yu and X. Song(2012), Investigation of the clay modification techniques and the application strategies in removing brown tides in Qinhuangdao coastal waters, Hebei province, PRC. In: Abstract book of 15th International Conference on Harmful Algae, Pusan, p. 236.
- Choi, H. G., P. J. Kim, W. C. Lee, S. J. Yun, H. G. Kim and H. J. Lee(1998), Removal efficiency of Cochlodinium polykrikoides by yellow loess. Journal of Korean Fisheries Society, Vol. 31, pp. 109-113.
- Cranford, P.(1995), Relationships between food quantity and quality and absorption efficiency in sea scallops, Placopecten magellanicus (Gmelin). Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, Vol. 189, pp. 123-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-0981(95)00019-N
- Cranford, P. J. and D. C. Gordon(1992), The influence of dilute clay suspensions on sea scallop (Placopecten magellanicus) feeding activity and tissue growth. Netherlands Journal of Sea Research, Vol. 30, pp. 107-120. https://doi.org/10.1016/0077-7579(92)90050-O
- Dollar, S. J. and R. W. Grigg(1981), Impact of a kaolin clay spill on a coral reef in Hawaii. Marine Biology, Vol. 65, pp. 269-276. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00397121
- Follum, O. A. and J. S. Gray(1987), Nitrogenous excretion by the sediment-living bivalve Nucula tenuis from the Oslofjord, Norway. Marine Biology, Vol. 96, pp. 355-358. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00412517
- Forstner, H. and E. Gnaiger(1983), Calculation of equilbrium oxygen concentration. In: Gnaiger, E. and H. Forstner. eds., Polarographic oxygen sensors. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, p. 370.
- Goldes, S. A., H. W. Ferguson, R. D. Moccia, P. Y. Daoust(1988), Histological effects of the inert suspended clay Kaolin on the gills of juvenile rainbow trout, Salmo gairdneri Richardson. Journal of Fish Diseases, Vol. 11, pp. 23-33. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2761.1988.tb00520.x
- Howell, B. R. and R. G. J. Shelton(1970), The effect of China clay on the bottom fauna of St. Austell and Mevagissey bays. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom, Vol. 50, pp. 593-603. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0025315400004902
- Jobling, M.(1981), The influence of feeding on the metabolic rate of fishes: short review. Journal of Fish Biology, Vol. 18, pp. 385-400. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.1981.tb03780.x
- Jobling, M.(1988), A review of the physiological and nutritional energetics of cod, Gadus morhua L. with particular reference to growth under farmed conditions. Aquaculture, Vol. 70, pp. 1-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/0044-8486(88)90002-6
- Kim, H. G.(1998), Harmful algal blooms in Korean coastal waters focused on three fish killing dinoflagellates. In: Harmful algal blooms in Korea and China, edited by Kim, H. G., S. G. Lee and C. K. Lee. National Fisheries Research and Development Institute, Pusan, pp. 1-20.
- Kim, H. G., J. K. Choi, M. S. Han and C. K. Lee(2012), Korea and HABs. Korea Local Organizing Committee of the 15th International Conference on Harmful Algae, Pusan, p. 132.
- Kim, W. S., J. K. Jeon, S. H. Lee and H. T. Huh(1996), Effects of pentachlorophenol (PCP) on the oxygen consumption rate of the river puffer fish, Takifugu obscurus. Marine Ecolology - Progress Series, Vol. 143, pp. 9-14. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps143009
- Kim, W. S., J. M. Kim, M. S. Kim, C. W. Park and H. T. Huh(1998), Effects of sudden changes in salinity on endogenous rhythm of the spotted sea bass Lateolabrax sp. Marine Biology, Vol. 131, pp. 219-225. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002270050314
- Kim, W. S., S. J. Yoon, H. T. Moon and T. W. Lee(2002), Effects of water temperature changes on the endogenous and exogenous rhythms of oxygen consumption in glass eels Anguilla japonica. Marine Ecology - Progress Series, Vol. 243, pp. 209-216. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps243209
- Lee, Y. J., J. K. Choi, E. K. Kim, S. H. Youn and E. J. Yang(2008), Field experiments on mitigation of Sopholipid-Yellow clay mixture and effects on marine plankton. Harmful Algae, Vol. 7, pp. 154-162. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hal.2007.06.004
- Mehner, T. and W. Wieser(1994), Energetics and metabolic correlates of starvation in juvenile perch (Perca fluviatilis). Journal of Fish Biology, Vol. 45, pp. 325-333. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.1994.tb01311.x
- Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries(2003), Statistical Year Book of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries, p. 150.
- Morgan, M. J.(1992), Low temperature tolerance of American Plaice in relation to declines in abundance. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, Vol. 121, pp. 399-402. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8659(1992)121<0399:LTOAPI>2.3.CO;2
- Mortimer, C. C.(1983), Chemie. Georg Thieme Verlag, Stuttgart, p. 637.
- NFRDI(2007), Guideline for yellow clay evaluation. National Fishereis Research & Development Institute/Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries, p. 3.
- Pierce, R. H., M. S. Henry, C. J. Higham, P. Blum, M. R. Sengco and D. M. Anderson(2004), Removal of harmful algal cells (Karenia brevis) and toxins from sea water culture by clay flocculation. Harmful Algae, Vol. 3, pp. 141-148 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hal.2003.09.003
- Quinn, J. M., R. J. Davies-Colley, C. W. Hickey, M .L. Vickers and P. A. Ryan (1992), Effects of clay discharges on streams 2. Benthic invertebrates. Hydrobiologia, Vol. 248, pp. 235-247. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00006150
- Reynolds, W. W. and M. E. Casterlin(1980), The role of temperature in the environmental physiology of fisher. In: Environmental Physiology of Fishes. Ali, M. A. ed. Plenum Press, New York, pp. 497-518.
- Sengco, M. R. and D. M. Anderson(2005), Controlling harmful algal blooms through clay flocculation. Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology, Vol. 51, pp. 169-172.
- Sengco, M. R., A. Li, K. Tugend, D. Kulis and D. M. Anderson(2001), Removal of red and brown tide cells using clay flocculations: I. Laboratory culture experiments with Gymnodium breve and Aureococcus anophagefferens. Marine Ecology - Progress Series, Vol. 210, pp. 41-53. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps210041
- Seo, K. S., C. K. Lee, Y. T. Park and Y. Lee(2008), Effect of yellow clay on respiration and phytoplankton uptake of bivalves. Fisheries Science, Vol. 74, pp. 120-127. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1444-2906.2007.01476.x
- Shirota(1989), Red tide problem and countermeasure (part 2). International Journal of Aquatic Fisheries Technology, Vol. 1, pp. 29-40.
- Shumway, S. E., D. M. Frank, L. M. Ewart and J. E. Ward (2003), Effect of yellow loess on clearance rate in seven species of benthic filter feeding invertbrates. Aquaculture research, Vol. 34, pp. 1391-1402. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2109.2003.00958.x
- Stevens, P. M.(1987), Response of excised gill tissue from the New Zealand scallop to suspended silt. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research, Vol. 21, pp. 605-614. https://doi.org/10.1080/00288330.1987.9516265
- Sun, X. X., Y. J. Lee, J. K. Choi and E. K. Kim(2004), Synergistic effect of sopholipid and loess combination in harmful algal blooms mitigation. Marine Pollution bulletin, Vol. 48, pp. 863-872. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2003.11.002
- Urban, E. R. and D. L. Kirchman(1992), Effect of kaolinite clay on the feeding activity of the eastern oyster Crassostrea virginica (Gmelin). Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, Vol. 160, pp. 47-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-0981(92)90109-N
- Waring, C. P., R. M. Stagg and M. G. Poxton(1996), Physiological responses to handling in the turbot. Journal of Fish Biololgy, Vol. 48, pp. 161-173. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.1996.tb01110.x
- Weiss, R. F(1970), The solubility of nitrogen, oxygen, and argon in water and seawater. Deep-Sea Research, 17, pp. 721-735.
- Yu, Z., X. Sun and J. Zou(2001), Progress of harmful algal bloom (HAB) mitigation with clays in China. In: Harmful Algal Blooms 2000 (ed. by G.M. Hallegraeff, S.I. Blackburn, C.J. Bolch and R.J. Lewis). Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission of UNESCO 2001, pp. 484-487.