- Volume 19 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Study on a Layout Design Method for Leisure Ship Production Factories using a Heuristic Location-Allocation Algorithm
Lee, Dong-Kun;Jeong, Yong-Kuk;Shin, Jong-Gye
- Received : 2013.03.08
- Accepted : 2013.06.25
- Published : 2013.06.30
To ensure that the production system of a factory is efficient, the factory layout design should consider the location and material flow plans of facilities, workshops, and storage areas. Highly productive factories need to have an optimized layout planning process, and a customized design methodology of the production system is a necessity for feasible layout planning. This paper presents a method for designing a layout module's size and shape and provides a heuristic location-allocation algorithm for the modules. The method is implemented and validated using a rich internet application-based platform. The layout design method is based on the leisure ship production process; this method can be used for designing the layout of a new factory or remodeling an existing factory and its production system. In contrast to existing layout methods, the inputs required for the proposed method, such as target products, production processes, and human-resource plans, are simple. This layout design method provides a useful solution for the initial stage of factory design.
Factory layout design;Layout planning;Heuristic location-allocation algorithm;Rich internet application;Leisure ship production process
- Heragu, S. S. and A. Kusiak(1988), Machine layout problem in flexible manufacturing systems, Operations Research, Vol. 36, No. 2, pp. 258-268. https://doi.org/10.1287/opre.36.2.258
- Jeong, D. H. and Y. H. Seo(2007), Heuristic Algorithm for Facility Layout Design with Fixed Input and Output Points, IE Interfaces, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 121-132.
- Jeong, S. K. and G. Jeon(2008), Nesting Problem for Two Dimensional Irregular Shapes using Heuristic, IE interface, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 8-17.
- Lee, B. U. and K. K. Cho(1999), Design of Cellular Layout based on Genetic Algorithm, Journal of the Korean Society of Precision Engineering, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 197-208.
- Lee, D. K., S. H. Nam and J. G. Shin(2012), A Study of Life Cycle Assessment in Shipyards Layout using a Discrete Event Simulation Engine, Journal of the Korea Society for Simulation, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 1-8. https://doi.org/10.9709/JKSS.2012.21.1.001
- Lee, D. K., Y. K. Jeong and J. G. Shin(2013), Development of a Factory Layout Design System using Leisure-Boat Building Process, Journal of the Society of Naval Architecture of Korea, Vol. 50, No 1, pp. 14-24. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2013.50.1.14
- Shin, J. G., Y. J. Song, D. K. Lee and J. H. Woo(2009), A concept and framework for a shipyard layout design based on simulation. Journal of Ship production, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 126-135.
- Song, Y. J., K. K. Lee, D. K. Lee, I. H. Hwang, J. H. Woo and J. G. Shin(2008), Development of a Design Framework for Simulation based Shipyard Layout, Journal of the Society of Naval Architecture of Korea, Vol. 45, No. 2, pp. 202-212. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2008.45.2.202
- Stevenson, W. J. and M. Hojati(2002), Operations management, New York: McGraw-Hill, pp. 215-255.
- Tompkins, J. A., Y. A. Bozer, E. H. Frazelle, J. M. A. Tanchoco, and J. Trevino(1996), Facilities planning. New York: Willey, pp. 125-160.
- A Study on Simulation based Manufacturing in Shipyards : Focused on a Long-term Plan Verification vol.20, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2014.20.1.086
- An analysis of shipyard spatial arrangement planning problems and a spatial arrangement algorithm considering free space and unplaced block vol.95, pp.9-12, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-017-1525-1
Grant : Technical development of engineering integration management and main parts for sail yacht 20ft~40ft, Research and development of an echo-friendly electrical propulsion power-train for small vessels
Supported by : Ministry of Knowledge Economy (MKE)