- Volume 28 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of Horse oil on the DNCB-induced Contact Hypersensitivity in Balb/c Mice
마유(馬油)가 DNCB로 유발된 알레르기성 접촉성피부염에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Young Sun ;
- Yoon, Ji-Hyun ;
- Kim, Bo-Ae ;
- Park, Chan Ik ;
- Yoo, Wang Keun ;
- Cho, Jae We ;
- Kim, Mi Ryeo
- Received : 2013.06.24
- Accepted : 2013.07.10
- Published : 2013.07.30
Objectives : Horse oil (HO) has been used long time as the folk medicine of many Asian countries such as Korea, Mongol, China, India and Japan. HO has been used for anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-pruritic purposes in skin. However, it is still largely unknown whether HO modulates the skin condition. In this study, we attempted to evaluate the anti-inflammatory effect of HO on the 1 % of 2, 4-dinitro-1-chlorobenzene (DNCB)-induced contact hypersensitivity in Balb/c mice. Methods : To find the anti-inflammatory effect of HO, contact hypersensitivity, a local inflammatory response of skin, was induced on the back of Balb/c mice by sensitization and repeated application by 1% DNCB and HO treated 2 weeks on the 1% of DNCB-treated Balb/c mice. Excised mice skins were stained with hematoxylin and eosin and serum IgE level was measured by mouse IgE ELISA kit. Results : In this study, we found that HO reduced erythema by 1% of DNCB treated Balb/c mice. Also, HO recovered histopathological features such as the thickening of epidermis, hyperkeratosis and the infiltration of inflammatory cells in 1% of DNCB treated Balb/c mice. In addition, HO reduced IgE level on the serum obtained from blood of 1% of DNCB-treated Balb/c mice. Conclusion : Taken together, these results showed that HO could be used as a pharmaceutical material with anti-inflammatory effects by reducing of erythema, IgE level and recovering of histopathological features skin on DNCB-induced contact hypersensitivity in Balb/c mice model.
Horse oil;DNCB;Contact hypersensitivity;anti-inflammatory;Balb/c mice;IgE
- Leung DY, Boguniewicz M, Howell MD, Nomura I, Hamid QA. New insights into atopic dermatitis. J Clin Invest. 2004 ; 113 : 651-7. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI21060
- Park CI. Study on the development of cosmetic emulsion cream for patients with atopic dermatitis using Scutellaria Baicalensis. Kor J Herbology. 2006 ; 21 : 47-53.
- Tasaka K. Epinastine: An update of its pharmacology, metabolism, clinical efficacy and tolerability in the treatment of allergic diseases. Drugs Today (Barc). 2000 ; 36 : 735-57. https://doi.org/10.1358/dot.2000.36.11.601529
- Pacor ML, Di Lorenzo G, Martinelli N. Mansueto P, Rini GB, Corrocher R. Comparing tacrolimus ointment and oral cyclosporine in adults patients affected by atopic dermatitis: a randomized study. Clin Exp Allergy. 2004 ; 43 : 639-45.
- Wang B (zhu). Huangdineijing Lingshu. Chung Hwa Book Company. Taibei. 1972 : 90-1.
- Tao HJ. Bencaojingjizhu. Beijing : People's Medical Publishing House. 1994 : 416.
- Li SZ. Bencaogangmu. Beijing : People's Medical Publishing House. 1982 : 2769.
- Sator PG, Schmidt JB, Honigsmann H. Comparison of epidermal hydration and skin surface lipids in healthy individuals and in patients with atopic dermatitis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2003 ; 48 : 352-8. https://doi.org/10.1067/mjd.2003.105
- Kimber I, Basketter DA, Gerberick GF, Dearman RJ. Allergic contact dermatitis. Int Immunopharmacol. 2002 ; 2 : 201-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1567-5769(01)00173-4
- Matsuda H, Watanabe N, Geba GP, Sperl J, Tsudzuki M, Hiroi J, Matsumoto M, Ushio H, Saito S, Askenase PW, Ra C. Development of atopic dermatitis-like skin lesion with IgE hyperproduction in NC/Ng mice. Int Immunol. 1997 ; 9 : 461-6. https://doi.org/10.1093/intimm/9.3.461
- Eun JS, Lee DH, Jeon YK, Kwon YA, Kwon J. Effect of Kamichungdieum on immune reaction. Kor J Orient Physiol Pathology. 2003 ; 18 : 1391-6.
- Paller A, Eichenfield LF, Leung DY, Stewart D, Appell M. A 12-week study of tacrolimus ointment for the treatment of atopic dermatitis in pediatric patients. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2001 ; 44 : S47-57. https://doi.org/10.1067/mjd.2001.109813
- Park SJ, Kim YS, Kim TJ. Inhibitory effect of PG-platycodin D on the development of atopic dermatitis-like skin lesions in ICR mice. J Life Sci. 2012 ; 22 : 1339-43. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2012.22.10.1339
- Kim CH, Kim KJ. The Effects of Yanghyulsamultanggamibang to allergic contact dermatitis. J Kor Orient Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermatol. 2005 ; 1 : 13-26.
- Park SO, Park BS, Ryu CM, Ahn YS. Effect of herb extracts mixed with Houttuynia Cordata on antiatopic dermatitis in DNCB-induced BALB/c mouse. J Kor Oil Chemists Soc. 2012 ; 2 : 175-83.
- Kim CJ, Kim YB, Ku YH, Nam HJ. The effects of Sophorae Radix and Coptidis Rhizoma-iontophoresis in allergic contact dermatitis. J Kor Orient Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermatol. 2005 ; 18 : 199-20.
- Kim BA, Yang JC, Park CI. Effect of Hwangryunhaedok-tang extracts on DNCB-induced allergic contact dermatitis. Kor J Herbology. 2009 ; 24 : 1-5.
- Leung DY, Soter NA. Cellular and immunologic mechanisms in atopic dermatitis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2001 ; 44 : S1-S12. https://doi.org/10.1067/mjd.2001.109815
- Mayr SI, Zuberi RI, Liu FT. Role of immunoglobulin E and mast cells in murine models of asthma. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2003 ; 36 : 821-7. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0100-879X2003000700001
- The Effects of GalGunSeunggi-tang (GST) on Mice Induced Allergic Contact Dermatitis (ACD) by DNCB vol.27, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7730/JSCM.2015.27.2.240
- Quality Characteristics of Horse Oil Extracted by Hot Water with Adding Green Tea Leaves vol.22, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.13050/foodengprog.2018.22.3.242