- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Aesthetic Thought and Expression Tendency of Contemporary Architecture from the Concept of the Uncanny
언캐니 개념으로 바라 본 현대건축의 미적사유와 표현경향 연구
- 박경아 (숙명여자대학교 미술대학 환경디자인과)
- Received : 2012.12.31
- Accepted : 2013.02.08
- Published : 2013.02.28
This study aims to analyze the aesthetic thought and expression tendency appeared in contemporary architecture by looking at today's architectural art based on the concept of the uncanny that Sigmund Freud contended as an aesthetic principle, of the aesthetic concepts tossed around to define the contemporary times in the aesthetics field and discuss the architectural analysis possibility of the concept of the uncanny. The generation structure of the uncanny that generates experiences of fear and surprise is classified into dual structure, trauma, threatening structure, and repetition compulsion. This is the principle that evokes a sense of experiencing subject, incorporates sensibility, and vitalizes internal process. This is also the methodology to organize and structure the concept of the uncanny. When seen from the four factors drawn from the concept of the uncanny and aesthetic expressions, the uncanny expression characteristics of contemporary architecture includes isolation, subversion, trace, absence, oblique line, flotation, concealment, and disturbance. Isolation and subversion refers to producing the space of the pressure of tension and relaxation caused by repression and relief from repression and eliciting the maximum expansion of the sense of space through spatial change. Trace and absence indicates being able to elicit more intense emotions from the experiencing subject by applying the images of alienation and absence in the way to reproduce historical trauma. This happens by implementing the potential value of physical activity. Oblique line and flotation means visual impulse. This happens in the way to visualize uneasy points. This causes uncanny by threatening the survival. Finally, concealment and disturbance refers to creating unpredictable space. The concept of masquerade and maze space composition are applied in the way to activate spatial perception, including space exploration and unintended subject's forced selection. As stated above, the uncanny expression characteristics shown in contemporary architecture can be presented as indicators that are available to analyze the undecided and diversified contemporary architecture aesthetically. In this respect, this study has great significance.
Uncanny;Sigmund Freud;Aesthetic thought;Architectural expression
- 박진빈, 9.11 기억의 터 : 미국 예외주의의 트라우마, 한국사회사학회 제78집, 2008
- Ellie Regland, Essats on the Pleasures of Death from Fred to Lacan, New York, Routledge, 1995
- R. L. Stevenson, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, London, 1925
- Anthony Vidler, The Architectural Uncanny, MIT Press, 1994
- John Hejduk, Mask of Medusa, Rizzoli, 1985
- 지그문트 프로이트, 예술, 문화, 정신분석, 정장진 역, 열린 책들, 1996
- 피터 노에버, 뉴모더니즘과 해체주의 1, 김경준 역, 청람, 1996
- 토마스 엘새서, 디지털 시대의 영화, 김성욱 역, 한나래, 2002.
- Tadao Ando, 新建築 from the periphery of Architecture, 1991
- 할 포스터, 욕망, 죽음 그리고 아름다움, 전영백 역, 아트북스, 2005
- 이종건, 존 혜이덕 건축에서의 시선과 응시, 건축역사연구 제14호 3호, 2005
- 김정선, 데 키리코의 형이상학적 회화에 나타난 정신분석학적 테마 : 언캐니(The Uncanny)를 중심으로, 경희대 석논, 2012
- Sigumund Freud, Studies in parapsychology, ed, Philp Rieff, New York, 1963.
- Nicholas Royle, The Uncanny, Routledge, 2003.