- Volume 13 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Performance assessment model for robot-based automated construction systems
- Lee, Ung-Kyun (Division of Architecture, Kwandong University) ;
- Yoo, Wi Sung (Construction and Economy Research Institute of Korea) ;
- An, Sung-Hoon (Department of Architectural Engineering, Daegu University) ;
- Doh, Nakju (School of Electrical Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Cho, Hunhee (Department of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Jun, Changhyun (School of Electrical Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Kim, Taehoon (Department of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Lee, Young Hoon (Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Southern California)
- Published : 2013.08.20
An adjusted assessment model based on benefit-cost analysis (BCA) is proposed for evaluating the economic efficiency of automated construction technologies. In contrast to conventional BCA, the model does not compare monetary values, but the differences in benefits and costs between traditional and automated construction methods. To verify the usefulness of the model, it was applied to a real-scale building construction project that used a fully automated building construction system, and the face validity of the model was confirmed. The results indicate that the model can support decision makers in identifying valuable benefit factors and in assessing the cost effectiveness of the system.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- Everett JG, Slocum AH. Automation and robotics opportunities: construction versus manufacturing. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management. 1994 Mar;120(2):443-52. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(1994)120:2(443)
- Oh D, Lee Y, Lee UK, Doh N, Cho H, Kang KI. Performance evaluation index for comparing traditional construction methods with a robot-based automated construction method. In The 3rd International Conference on Construction Engineering and Management, Final program and Abstract book; 27-29 May 2009; Jeju, Korea. Seoul (Korea): Korea Institute of Construction Engineering and Management; 2009. p. 1088-94.
- Lee JH, Yoo HS, Kim YS, Lee JB, Cho MY. The development of a machine vision : assisted teleoperated pavement crack sealer. Automation in Construction. 2006 Sep;15(5):616-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2005.06.018
- Ham YB, Kwon SW, Noh JH, Han JG, Kim KT. Development of road stripe removing equipment using high-pressure water jet. Automation in Construction. 2006 Sep;15(5):578-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2005.06.017
- Woo S, Hong D, Lee W-C, Chung J-H, Kim T-H. A robotic system for road lane painting. Automation in Construction. 2008 Jan;17(2):122-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2006.12.003
- Li Z, Madanu S. Highway project level life-cycle benefit/cost analysis under certainty, risk, and uncertainty: methodology with case study. Journal of Transportation Engineering. 2009 Aug;135(8):516-26. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)TE.1943-5436.0000012
- Zhou H, Williams KM, Farah W. Methodology to evaluate the effects of access control near freeway interchange areas. Journal of Transportation Engineering. 2008 Dec;134(12):504-11. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-947X(2008)134:12(504)
- Jang WS, Skibniewski MJ. Cost-benefit analysis of embedded sensor system for construction materials tracking. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management. 2009 May;135(5):378-86. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(2009)135:5(378)
- Shin YS, Choi HB, Lee UK, An SH, Kang KI. A study on selection of slab formwork system for high-rise building construction. Journal of Architectural Institute of Korea: Structure & Construction Section. 2006 Feb;22(2):147-54.
- Linstone HA, Turoff M. The Delphi method: techniques and applications. Newark (MA): Addison-Wesley; 1975. 616. p.
- Saaty TL. The analytic hierarchy process: planning, priority setting, resource allocation. New York (NY): McGraw-Hill; 1980. 57. p.
- Korea Institute of Construction Technology. Standard quantities per unit of construction projects in Korea. Seoul (Korea): Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs; 2010. p. 917-28.
- Boehm B. Software engineering economics. Englewood Cliffs (NJ): Prentice-Hall, Inc.: 1980. 385 p.
- Boehm B, Abts C, Chulani S. Software development cost estimation approaches-a survey. Annals of Software Engineering. 2000 Mar;10(1-4):177-205. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1018991717352
- Kang TK, Nam C, Lee UK, Doh N, Park GT. Development of robotic crane-based automatic construction system for steel structures of high-rise buildings. In The 28th International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction; 29 June-2 July 2011; Seoul, Korea. Seoul: International Association for Automation and Robotics in Construction; 2011. p. 670-1.
- Kim K, Kim G, Kim K, Lee Y, Kim J. Real-time progress management system for steel structure construction. Journal of Asian Architecture and Building Engineering. 2009 May;8(1):111-18. https://doi.org/10.3130/jaabe.8.111
- Jin IG, Shin Y, Cho H, Kang KI. Development of component design process for automated construction system. Korean Journal of Construction Engineering and Management. 2009 Jul;10(4):76-86.
- Chu B, Jung K, Ko KH, Hong D. Mechanism and analysis of a robotic bolting device for steel beam assembly. In International Conference on Control, Automation and Systems; 2010 Oct; Ilsan, Korea. Seoul: Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems; 2010. p. 2351-6.
- Saaty TL, Vargas LG. Models, methods, concepts and applications of the analytic hierarchy process. Norwell (MA): Kluwer Academic Publishers; 2001. 335. p.
- Comparative Performance Analysis of Robot-based Automated Construction System Using a Real Scale Test Project vol.15, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5345/JKIBC.2015.15.3.339