- Volume 39 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Study on the Distribution of Fluorides in Plants and the Estimation of Ambient Concentration of Hydrogen Fluoride Around the Area of the Accidental Release of Hydrogen Fluoride in Gumi
구미 불산 누출사고 지점 주변 식물의 불소화합물 농도 분포 및 공기 중 불화수소 농도 추정에 관한 연구
- Received : 2013.03.20
- Accepted : 2013.07.19
- Published : 2013.08.31
Objectives: The goal of this study is to identify the distribution of the foliar fluorine content of vegetation surrounding the area where hydrofluoric acid was accidently released in Gumi, Gyeongsangbuk-do on September 27, 2012. In addition, it also aims to estimate the concentration of hydrogen fluoride in the air on the day of the accident. Methods: Samples of plant leaves were collected on October 7, 2012 within 1 km from the site where the accident occurred. These samples were analyzed for soluble fluorine ion with an ion selective electrode. The ambient concentration of hydrogen fluoride was calculated using the fluoride content in the plant via the dose-rate equation (
Chemical accidental release;Gumi;hydrogen fluoride
- Lee YG. Workshop report on the problems and action strategy on recent chemical accident release: Cases of Samsung Electronics and Gumi - Reform required to secure the right to know for the residents. Seoul: Wonjin Institute for Occupational and Environmental Health, 2013.
- Park TJ. Gumi confirms 55.4 billion won compensation fund for hydrofluoric acid release. Kyongbukilbo. 6 March, 2013.
- ATSDR. Toxicological profile for fluorides, hydrogen fluoride, and fluorine. Atlanta: Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, 2003.
- Arnesen AKM, Abrahamsen G, Sandvik G, Krogstad T. Aluminium-smelters and fluoride pollution of soil and soil solution in Norway. Sci Total Environ. 1995; 163(1-3): 39-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-9697(95)04479-K
- Haidouti C, Chronopoulou A, Chronopoulos J. Effects of fluoride emissions from industry on the fluoride concentration of soils and vegetation. Biochem Syst Ecol. 1993; 21(2): 195-208. https://doi.org/10.1016/0305-1978(93)90037-R
- Franzaring J, Klumpp A, Fangmeier A. Active biomonitoring of airborne fluoride near an HF producing factory using standardised grass cultures. Atmos Environ. 2007; 41(23): 4828-4840. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2007.02.010
- Koblar A, Tavear G, Ponikvar-Svet M. Effects of airborne fluoride on soil and vegetation. J Fluor Chem. 2011; 132(10): 755-759. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluchem.2011.05.022
- Vike E. Uptake, deposition and wash off of fluoride and aluminium in plant foliage in the vicinity of an aluminium smelter in Norway. Water Air Soil Pollut. 2005; 160(1-4): 145-159. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11270-005-3862-1
- Cooke JA, Johnson MS, Davison AW. Determination of fluoride in vegetation: A review of modern techniques. Environmental Pollution (1970). 1976; 11(4): 257-268. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-9327(76)90066-5
- Wing JS, Sanderson LM, Brender JD, Perrotta DM, Beauchamp RA. Acute health effects in a community after a release of hydrofluoric acid. Arch Environ Health. 1991; 46(3): 155-160. https://doi.org/10.1080/00039896.1991.9937443
- Peters D, Miethchen R. Symptoms and treatment of hydrogen fluoride injuries. J Fluor Chem. 1996; 79(2): 161-165. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-1139(96)03484-7
- Erdal S, Buchanan SN. A quantitative look at fluorosis, fluoride exposure, and intake in children using a health risk assessment approach. Environ Health Perspect. 2005; 113(1): 111-117.
- Carpenter R. Factors controlling the marine geochemistry of fluorine. Geochim Cosmochim Acta. 1969; 33(10): 1153-1167. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-7037(69)90038-6
- NIER. Report on the State of Environmental Pollution and Emergency Plan of Accidental Release of Hydrogen Fluoride in Gumi. Korea National Institute of Environmental Research, 2012.
- Jacobson JS, Heller LI. A simple, rapid potentiometric method for the estimation of fluoride in vegetation. Environmental Letters. 1971; 1(1): 43-47. https://doi.org/10.1080/00139307109434965
- Horntvedt R. Accumulation of airborne fluorides in forest trees and vegetation. Eur J Forest Pathol. 1997; 27(2): 73-82. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0329.1997.tb01358.x
- Surface Weather Observation Data. Korea Meteorological Administration. Available: http://www.kma.go.kr/ weather/observation/past_cal.jsp?stn=279&yy=2012 &mm=9&x=24&y=11&obs=12012 [accessed 3 May 2013]
- Krelowska-Kulas M. Content of fluorine in vegetables and fruits from an industrial area. Nahrung. 1994; 38(4): 397-401. https://doi.org/10.1002/food.19940380409
- ACGIH. 2012 TLVs and BEIs: American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists; 2012.
- MOEL. Exposure Standard of Chemicals and Physical Parameters. Notification of the Ministry of Employment and Labor. 2012; 39-42.
- Weinstein LH. Fluoride and plant life. J Occup Environ Med. 1977; 19(1): 49-78. https://doi.org/10.1097/00043764-197701000-00005
- Doley D. Experimental analysis of fluoride susceptibility of grape vine (Vitis Vinifera L.): Foliar fluoride accumulation in relation to ambient concentration and wind speed. New Phytol. 1984; 96(3): 337-351. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8137.1984.tb03571.x
- Sylvester AW, Parker-Clark V, Murray GA. Leaf shape and anatomy as indicators of phase change in the grasses: comparison of maize, rice, and bluegrass. Am J Bot. 2001; 88(12): 2157-2167. https://doi.org/10.2307/3558377
- McKenney TC. Differentiation of sterile specimens of Nyssa sylvatica Marsh. and Diospyros virginiana L. Castanea. 1967: 186-189.
- Raman A, M CJE. The anatomical features of powdered Ginkgo biloba L. leaf as observed by light microscopy. J Med Food. 1998; 1(2): 89-95. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.1998.1.89
- Christie K, Currie M, Davis LS, Hill M-E, Neal S, Ayers T. Rhamnaceae Buckthorn family. Canotia. 2006; 2(1): 23-46.
- Nwachukwu C, Mbagwu F, Onyeji A. Morphological and leaf epidermal features of Capsicum annuum and Capsicum frutescens. Nature and Science. 2007; 5(3): 54-60.
- Tanaka K, Yu H-C, Kim YS. Cultivation of Perilla. Perilla: CRC Press; 1997. p.9-17.
- SEWPaC. Wild radish: Raphanus raphanistrum. Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities, 2011.
- Paris HS, Janick J, Daunay M-C. Medieval herbal iconography and lexicography of Cucumis (cucumber and melon, Cucurbitaceae) in the Occident, 1300-1458. Ann Bot. 2011; 108(3): 471-484. https://doi.org/10.1093/aob/mcr182
- Kortekamp A, Zyprian E. Leaf hairs as a basic protective barrier against downy mildew of grape. J Phytopathol. 1999; 147(7-8): 453-459. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0434.1999.tb03850.x
- Accident analysis of the Gumi hydrogen fluoride gas leak using CFD and comparison with post-accidental environmental impacts vol.48, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2017.05.001
- Large Eddy Simulation for the Prediction of Unsteady Dispersion Behavior of Hydrogen Fluoride vol.30, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14346/JKOSOS.2015.30.1.014
- Diagnostic assessment on vegetation damage due to hydrofluoric gas leak accident and restoration planning to mitigate the damage in a forest ecosystem around Hube Globe in Gumi vol.17, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.17663/JWR.2015.17.1.045
- Estimation of the Concentration of HF in the Atmosphere Using Plant Leaves Exposed to HF in the Site of the HF Spill vol.32, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5572/KOSAE.2016.32.3.248
- Alternative Risk Assessment for Dangerous Chemicals in South Korea Regulation: Comparing Three Modeling Programs vol.15, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph15081600