- Volume 42 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Physicochemical and Antioxidant Properties of Commercial Vinegars with High Acidity
시판 고산도 식초의 이화학적 품질 및 항산화 특성
- Jo, Deokjo (School of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Park, Eun-Joo (School of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Yeo, Soo-Hwan (Fermentation and Food Processing Division, Dept. of Agrofood Resources, NAAS, RDA) ;
- Jeong, Yong-Jin (Dept. and Food Science and Technology, Keimyung University) ;
- Kwon, Joong-Ho (School of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kyungpook National University)
- 조덕조 (경북대학교 식품공학부) ;
- 박은주 (경북대학교 식품공학부) ;
- 여수환 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농식품자원부 발효이용과) ;
- 정용진 (계명대학교 식품가공학과) ;
- 권중호 (경북대학교 식품공학부)
- Received : 2013.04.12
- Accepted : 2013.05.27
- Published : 2013.08.31
Various commercial vinegars of high-strength acidity (10% or more of total acidity) were investigated to compare their physicochemical and antioxidant properties. The total acidity of double-strength vinegars was relatively lower than triple-strength vinegars. Irrespective of the acidity, sugar and reducing sugar content ranged from
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Jo JS. 1984. The types and characteristics of vinegar. Korean J Food Sci Technol 17: 38-60.
- Jeong YJ, Lee MH. 2000. A view and prospect of vinegar industry. Food Industry and Nutrition 5(1): 7-12.
- Kim YT, Seo KI, Jung YJ, Lee YS, Shim KH. 1997. The production of vinegar using citron (Citrus junos Seib) juice. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 7: 301-307.
- Gil BI. 2004. Physicochemical characteristics of brown rice vinegars produced by traditional and industrial manufacturing method. J Nat Sci 11: 1-7.
- Kim DH. 1999. Studies on the production of vinegar from fig. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 28: 53-60.
- Jeong YJ, Seo JH, Jung SH, Shin SR, Kim KS. 1998. The quality comparison of uncleaned rice vinegar by two stages fermentation with commercial uncleaned rice vinegar. Korean J Food Preserv 5: 374-379.
- Jeong YJ. 2009. Current trends and future prospects in the Korean vinegar industry. Food Science and Industry 42(2):52-59.
- KFDA. 2008. Korea Food Standard Code. Korea Food & Drug Administration. Korea. 5-21-1-5-21-2.
- Jo DJ, Park EJ, Kim GR, Yeo SH, Jeong YJ, Kwon JH. 2012. Quality comparison of commercial cider vinegars by their acidity levels. Korean J Food Sci Technol 44: 699-703. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2012.44.6.699
- Lee YC, Lee JH. 2000. A manufacturing process of highstrength vinegars. Food Industry and Nutrition 5(1): 13-17.
- Lee SM, Choi YM, Kim YW, Kim DJ, Lee JS. 2009. Antioxidant activity of vinegars commercially available in Korean markets. Food Engineering Process 13: 221-225.
- Kim GR, Yoon SR, Lee JH, Yeo SH, Jeong YJ, Yoon KY, Kwon JH. 2010. Physicochemical properties of and volatile components in commercial fruit vinegars. Korean J Food Preserv 17: 616-624.
- Woo SM, Jo JY, Lee SW, Kwon JH, Yeo SH, Jeong YJ. 2012. Quality comparison of static-culture and commercial brown rice vinegars. Korean J Food Preserv 19: 301-307. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2012.19.2.301
- Marais JP, de Wit JL, Quicke GV. 1966. A critical examination of the Nelson-Somogyi method for the determination of reducing sugars. Anal Biochem 15: 373-381. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(66)90098-4
- Singleton VL, Rossi Jr JA. 1965. Colorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolybdic-phosphotungstic acid reagents. Amer J Enol Viticult 16: 144-158.
- Zhishen J, Mengcheng T, Jianming W. 1999. The determination of flavonoid contents in mulberry and their scavenging effects on superoxide radicals. Food Chem 64: 555-559. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(98)00102-2
- Zou Y, Lu Y, Wei D. 2004. Antioxidant activity of a flavonoid- rich extract of Hypericum perforatum L. in vitro. J Agric Food Chem 52: 5032-5039. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf049571r
- Blios MS. 1958. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 181: 1199-1200. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Re R, Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Pannala A, Yang M, Catherine RE. 1999. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Free Radical Biol Med 26: 1231-1237. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(98)00315-3
- SAS. 2001. SAS User's Guide. version 8.1. Statistical Analysis System Institute, Cary, NC, USA.
- Seo JH, Kim YJ, Lee KS. 2003. Comparison of physicochemical characteristics of fruit vinegars produced from two-stage fermentation. Food Industry and Nutrition 8(3):40-44.
- Moon SY, Chung HC, Yoon HN. 1997. Comparative analysis of commercial vinegars in physicochemical properties, minor components and organoleptic tastes. Korean J Food Sci Technol 29: 663-670.
- Woo SM, Kim TY, Yeo SH, Kim SB, Kim JS, Kim MH, Jeong YJ. 2007. Quality characteristics of alcohol fermentation broth and by-product of brown rice varieties. Korean J Food Preserv 14: 557-563.
- Furukawa S, Ueda R. 1963. Studies on non-volatile organic acid in vinegar, contents of non-volatile organic acid in commercial vinegar. J Ferment Technol 41: 14-19.
- Kim GR, Yoon SR, Lee JH, Yeo SH, Kim TY, Jeong YJ, Yoon KY, Kown JH. 2009. Quality comparison of commercial brown rice vinegar fermented with and without ethanol. Korean J Food Preserv 16: 893-899.
- Jo BH. 1987. Studies on quality characteristics of commercial vinegars. MS Thesis. Seoul Woman's University, Seoul, Korea.
- Bidlack W. 1999. Phytochemicals as bioactive agents. Technomic Publishing Co, Lancaster, Basel, Switzerland. p 25-36.
- Hassas-Roudsari M, Chang PR, Pegg RB, Tyler RT. 2009. Antioxidant capacity of bioactives extracted from canola meal by subcritical water, ethanolic and hot water extraction. Food Chem 114: 717-726. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.09.097
- Wang MF, Shao Y, Li JG, Zhu NQ, Rngarajan M, Lavoie EJ, Ho CT. 1998. Antioxidative phenolic compounds from sage (Salivia officinalis). J Agric Food Chem 46: 4869-4873. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf980614b
- Hong SM, Kang MJ, Lee JH, Jeong JH, Kwon SH, Seo KI. 2012. Production of vinegar using Rubus cereanus and its antioxidant activities. Korean J Food Preserv 19: 594-603. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2012.19.4.594
- Hong SM, Moon HS, Lee JH, Lee HI, Jeong JH, Lee MK, Leo KI. 2012. Development of functional vinegar by using cucumbers. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 927-935. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.7.927
- Labuza TP. 1971. Kinetics of lipid oxidation in foods. Crit Rev Food Technol 2: 335-405.
- Xu Q, Tao W, Ao Z. 2007. Antioxidant activity of vinegar melanoidins. Food Chem 102: 841-849. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.06.013
- Sakanaka S, Ishihara Y. 2008. Comparison of antioxidant properties of persimmon vinegar and some other commercial vinegars in radical-scavenging assays and on lipid oxidation in tuna homogenates. Food Chem 107: 739-744. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.08.080
- Frankel EN. 1991. Recent advances in lipid oxidation. J Sci Food Agric 54: 495-511. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740540402
- Yen GC, Chang YC, Chen JP. 2002. Antioxidant activity of mycelia from Aspergillus candidus. J Food Sci 67: 567-572. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2002.tb10639.x
- Quality Characteristics and Biological Activities of Vinegars Added with Young Leaves of Akebia quinata vol.43, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.7.989