- Volume 37 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Analysis of Pant Style Trend to Establish a Fashion Cycle Theory: Focus on 1967 to 2012
패션 주기 이론 구성을 위한 팬츠 스타일 트렌드 분석 -1967~2012년을 대상으로-
- Received : 2013.06.10
- Accepted : 2013.08.22
- Published : 2013.08.31
This study establishes a fashion theory frame to forecast future fashion cycles of pants through analyzing past fashion cycles of pants through a diachronic method. Pants pictures from 1967-2012, post-industrialized period of Korea were analyzed. Representative pant styles, fashion cycles of pants and the relation of pant styles, length and width were identified. The total of 1006 pictures in fashion magazine published over 46 years were selected and analyzed using PASW 18.0 (statistical program). The results are as follows. For 46 years, representative pant styles were skinny, regular and bell-bottom. The first cycle period was from 1969 to 1992 and lasted 24 years. The second cycle period was from 1993 to 2003 and lasted 11 years. The third cycle is ongoing as of 2004. Fashion cycles have shown a general trend to be shortened. The relation between pant styles, length and width revealed related results; in addition, pant length and width changed significantly in a similar orientation. Fashion marketers can develop successful products using fashion cycle theory from these results.
Fashion cycle theory;Pants style;Pants length;Pants width;Trend
- George W. T. (n.d.). Hemline index. Retrieved May 28, 2013, from http://en.wikipedia.org
- Greenwood, K. M., & Murphy, M. F. (1979). Fashion innovation and marketing. New York: Macmillan Publishing Co.
- Hamilton, J. A. (1997). The macro-micro interface in the construction of individual fashion forms and meanings. Clothing and Textiles Research Journal, 15(3), 164-171. https://doi.org/10.1177/0887302X9701500306
- Horn, M. J., & Gurel, L. M. (1981). The second skin: An interdisciplinary study of clothing (3rd ed.). Boston: Houghton Mifflin.
- Jeong, H. S., & Park, C. (1995). 우리나라 광고에 나타난 소비가치의 변화에 관한 연구: 1962-1992년 여성잡지 광고 내용 분석을 중심으로 [A study on changes of consuming value showed in Korean ads]. Advertising Research, (26), 85-106.
- Kaiser, S. A., Nagasawa, R., & Hutton, S. (1995). Construction of an SI theory of fashion part 1: Ambivalence and change. Clothing and Textiles Research Journal, 13(3), 172-183. https://doi.org/10.1177/0887302X9501300304
- Kean, R. C. (1997). The role of the fashion system in fashion change: A response to the Kaiser, Nagasawa and Hutton model. Clothing and Textiles Research Journal, 15(3), 172-177. https://doi.org/10.1177/0887302X9701500307
- Ko, E. J., Do, H. J., & Kim, S. S. (2010). A study of changes in consumption values shown in women's magazines-Focus on advertisement content in women's magazines from 1955 to 2008-. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 34(2), 226-241. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2010.34.2.226
- Damhorst, M. L., Miller-Spillman, K. A., & Michlman, S. O. (2006). The meanings of dress (2nd ed.), New York: Fairchild Publication.
- Doosan encyclopedia. (2013, May 25). Doopedia. Retrieved May 25, 2013, from http://www.Doopedia.co.kr
- Ko, E. J., & Kim, S. S. (2009). The analysis of products characteristics on hit brands for fashion trend forecasting-Focused on 1996-2005-. Journal of the Korean Society of Fashion Design, 9(3), 67-79.
- Kroeber, A. A. (1919). On the principle of order in civilization as exemplified by changes of fashion. American Anthropologist, 21, 235-263. https://doi.org/10.1525/aa.1919.21.3.02a00010
- Rhee, E. Y. (1995). Fashion marketing (2nd ed.). Paju: Kyomunsa.
- Sproles, G. B. (1985). Behavioral science theories of fashion. In M. R. Solomon (Ed.), The psychology of fashion (pp. 55-70). Lexington, MA: Lexington Books.
- Sproles, G. B., & Burns, L. D. (1994). Changing appearance: Understanding dress in contemporary society. New York: Fairchild Publication.
- The hemline economy. (2012, August 12). Daily Mail. Retrieved May 28, 2013 from http://www.dailymail.co.uk
- Women's Choong-Ang. (1970-1994). Seoul: The Choong-Ang Ilbo.
- Women's Choong-Ang. (1997-2012). Seoul: The Choong-Ang Ilbo.
- Women's Dong-A. (1967-2012). Seoul: The Dong-A Ilbo.
- Young, A. B. (1937). Recurring cycles of fashion. New York: Harper & Brothers.
- A Study of Verification on Fashion Theory around Relation Theory of Skirt Length and Stock Index, Hemline Index -Focus on 1980 to 2013 years- vol.38, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2014.38.4.584
- Does Economy Dictate Hemline Move? -Verification of the Hemline Theory- vol.39, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2015.39.5.755