- Volume 55 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Hydraulic Conductivity Function in Unsaturated Soils using an Inverse Analysis
역해석기법을 이용한 불포화토 투수계수함수 산정에 관한 연구
- Received : 2013.01.07
- Accepted : 2013.04.16
- Published : 2013.07.31
Unsaturated hydraulic conductivity function is one of key parameters to solve the flow phenomena in problems of landslide. Prediction models for hydraulic conductivity function related to soil-water retention curve equations in many geotechnical applications have been still used instead of direct measurement of the hydraulic conductivity function since prediction models from soil-water retention curve equations are attractive for their fast and easy use and low cost. However, many researchers found that prediction models for the hydraulic conductivity function can not predict the hydraulic conductivity exactly in comparison with experimental outputs. This research introduced an inverse analysis to evaluate the hydraulic conductivity function corresponding to experimental output from the flow pump system. Optimisation process was carried out to obtain the hydraulic conductivity function. This research showed that the inverse analysis with flow pump system was suitable to assess the hydraulic conductivity in unsaturated soil, and the prediction models for the hydraulic conductivity were led to the significant discrepancy from actual experimental outputs.
Grant : 지진시 사면붕괴 등 지반피해 예측기술개발
Supported by : 소방방재청
- Brooks, R. H., and A. T. Corey, 1964. Hydraulic properties of porous media. Colorado State University, Hydrology Paper, 3, March.
- Burdine, N. T., 1953. Relative permeability calculations from pore-size distribution data. Petr. Trans., Am. Inst. Mining Metall. Eng. 198: 71-77.
- Campbell, J. D., 1973. Pore pressures and volume changes in unsaturated soils. Ph.D. diss., Urbana-Champaign, Illinois: University of Illinois.
- Chiu, T.-F. and C. Shackelford, 2001. Laboratory evaluation of sand undrains. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironnenta Engineering 126(1): 990-1001.
- Coca, J., and J. Wright, 1992. Diffusion and flow in gravel, soil, and whole rock. Applied Hydrogeology 1: 5-24.
- Doherty, J., 2004. PEST, Model-independent parameter estimation user manual 5th Edition. Watermark Numerical Computing.
- Fayer, M. J., 2000. UNSATH Version 3.0: Unsaturated soil water and head flow model: theory, user manual, and examples. Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Washington.
- Fredlund, D. G., and A. Xing, 1994. Equations for the soil-water characteristic curve. Canadian Geotechnical Journal 31: 521-532. https://doi.org/10.1139/t94-061
- Fredlund, D. G., A. Xing, and S. Huang, 1994. Prediction the permeability function for unsaturated soil using the soil-water characteristic curve. Canadian Geotechnical Journal 31: 533-546. https://doi.org/10.1139/t94-062
- Gardner, W. R., 1958. Some steady state solutions of the unsaturated moisture flow equation with application to evaporation from a water table. Soil Science 85(4): 228-232. https://doi.org/10.1097/00010694-195804000-00006
- Ghayoomi, M., 2011. Seismically induced settlement of partially-saturated sand. Ph.D. diss., Boulder, Colorado: University of Colorado.
- Hamilton J.M., D. E. Daniel, and R. E. Olson, 1981. Measurementof hydraulic conductivity of partially saturated soils. In Permeability and groundwater contaminant transport, Zimmie T.F. and Riggs C.O. (Eds.), ASTM Special Technical Publication 746: 182-196.
- Huang, K., B. P. Mohanty, and M. Th. van Genuchten, 1998. A new convergence criterion for the modified picard iteration method to solve the variably saturated flow equation. Journal of Hydrology 178: 69-91.
- Khaeel, R., J. F. Relyea, and J. L. Conca, 1995. Evaluation of van Genuchten-Mualem relationships to estimate unsaturated hydraulic conductivity at low water content. Water Resour. Res. 31(11): 2659-2668. https://doi.org/10.1029/95WR02309
- Khosravi, A., 2011. Small strain shear modulus of unsaturated, compacted soils during hydraulic hysteresis. Ph.D. diss., Boulder, Colorado: University of Colorado.
- Kim, S. N., C. W. Park, Y. J. Mok, and S. M. Kum, 2005. Determination of soil water characteristic curve and permeability equation of unsaturated soils using modified apparatus. Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society 21(5): 59-64 (in Korean).
- Klute, A., 1972. The determination of the hydraulic conductivity and diffusivity of unsaturated soils. Soil Science 113(4): 264-276. https://doi.org/10.1097/00010694-197204000-00006
- Lee, K. I., J. Lee, and W. J. Back, 2009. Soil-water characteristic curve of weathered granite soils in Pocheon area using flow pump technique. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 51(1): 11-20 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2009.51.1.011
- Lee, J., and C. Yu, 2012. A study on change of soil-water retention curve with different net confining pressures and porosities using a suction-saturation control technique. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 54(4): 93-103 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2012.54.4.093
- Lee, J., C. Yu, U. G. Kim, and D. W. Kim, 2012. Analysis of rainfall induced infiltration considering occluded air in unsaturated soils. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 54(5): 129-139 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2012.54.5.129
- Lim, S. Y., and T. J. Lyu, 2008. The analysis of permeability coefficient and the evaluation of equations of permeability coefficient for an unsaturated soils. Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society 24(1): 91-100 (in Korean).
- Lu, N., E. M. Kwicklis, and J. P. Rousseau, 2001. Determining fault permeability from subsurface barometer pressure at Yucca mountain, Nevada. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironnenta Engineering 127: 801-809. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2001)127:9(801)
- Lu, N., A. Wallyace, J. Carrera, and W. J. Likos, 2006. Constant flow method for concurrently measuring soil-water characteristic curve and hydraulic conductivity function. Geotechnical Testing Journal 29(3): 1-12.
- McCartney, J. S., 2007. Determination of the hydraulic characteristics of unsaturated soils using a centrifuge permeameter. Ph.D. diss., Austin, Texas: University of Texas.
- McCartney, J. S and J. Parks, 2009. Uncertainty in predicted hydraulic conductivity functions of unsaturated soils. 17th ICSMGE Conference, Alexandria, Egypt.
- McCartney, J. S and D. Znidarcic, 2010. Test system for hydraulic properties of unsaturated nonwoven geotextiles. Geosynthetics International 17(5): 10.
- McCartney, J. S and J. G. Zornberg, 2010. Centrifuge permeameter for unsaturated soils II: measurement of the hydraulic characteristics of an unsaturated clay. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironnental Engineering 136(8): 1064-1076. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0000320
- Meerdink, J. C. Benson, and M. Khire, 1996. Unsaturated hydraulic conductivity of two compacted barrier soils. Journal of Geotechnical Engineering 122(7): 565-576. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1996)122:7(565)
- Moore, R., 1939. Water conduction from shallow water tables. Hilgardia, 12: 383-426. https://doi.org/10.3733/hilg.v12n06p383
- Mualem, Y., 1976. A new model for prediction the hydraulic conductivity of unsaturated porous media. Water Resour. Res. 12: 513-522. https://doi.org/10.1029/WR012i003p00513
- Ng, C., and Y. Pang, 2000. Influence of stress state on soil-water characteristics and slope stability. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironnental Engineering 126(2): 157-166. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2000)126:2(157)
- Nimmo, J. R., J. Rubin, and D. P. Hammermeister, 1987. Unsaturated flow in a centrifugal field: measurement of hydraulic conductivity and testing of Darcy's law, Water Resource Research 23(1): 124-134 https://doi.org/10.1029/WR023i001p00124
- Richards, L., 1952. Water conducting and retaining properties of soils in relation to irrigation, Proc. Int. Symp. On Deser Res.: 523-546.
- Sigda, J. M., and J. L. Wilson, 2005. Are faults preferential flow paths through semiarid and arid vadose zones. Water Resour. Res. 39(8): 1225-1239.
- Vanapalli, S., D. Pufahl, and D. Fredlund, 1999. The influence of soil structure and stress history on the soil-water characteristics of a compacted till. Geotechnique 49(2): 143-159. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.1922.214.171.124
- van Genuchten, M. TH., 1980. A closed-form for predicting the hydraulic conductivity of unsaturated soils. Soil Science Society of America Journal 44: 892-898. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1980.03615995004400050002x
- Wildenschild, D., J. W. Hopmans, and J. Simunek, J. 2001. Flow rate dependence of soil hydraulic characteristics. Soil Science Society of America Journal 65(1): 35-48. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2001.65135x
- Wildenschild, D., K. H. Jensen, K. J. Hollenbeck, T. H. Illangasekare, D. Znidarcic, T. Sonnenborg, and M. B. Butts, 1997. A two-stage procedure for determining unsaturated hydraulic characteristics using a syringe pump and outflow observations. Oil Science Society of America Journal 61(2): 347-359. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1997.03615995006100020002x
- Young, M., A. Karagunduz, J. Simunekm, and K. Pennell, 2002. A modified upward infiltration method for characterizing soil hydraulic properties. Soil Science Society of America Journal 66: 57-64. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2002.0057
- Zornberg, J. G., and J. S. McCartney, 2010. Centrifuge permeameter for unsaturated soils I: theoretical basis and experimental developments. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironnental Engineering 136(8): 1051-1063. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0000319