- Volume 33 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Black Sugar Supplementation on Dry Matter Intake, Milk Yield, and Milk Composition in Holstein Dairy Cow
- Seng, Tongheng (Department of Animal Science, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Lee, Sang Moo (Department of Animal Science, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Kim, Eun Joong (Department of Animal Science, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2013.08.31
- Accepted : 2013.09.17
- Published : 2013.09.30
This study was conducted to investigate the effects of supplementing additional sucrose, in the form of black sugar (BS), into the diet of Holstein dairy cows on dry matter intake (DMI), milk yield, and milk composition. Eight Holstein dairy cows (
Supported by : Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
- AOAC. 2000. Official Methods of Analysis, 17th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Arlington, VA.
- Belanche, A., Doreau, M., Edwards, J.E., Moorby, J.M., Pinloche, E. and Newbold, C.J. 2012. Shifts in the rumen microbiota due to the type of carbohydrate and level of protein ingested by dairy cattle are associated with changes in rumen fermentation. Journal of Nutrition. 142:1684-1692. https://doi.org/10.3945/jn.112.159574
- Berthiaume, R., Benchaar, C., Chaves, A.V., Tremblay, G.F., Castonguay, Y., Bertrand, A., Belanger, G., Michaud, R., Lafreniere, C. and McAllister, T.A. 2010. Effects of nonstructural carbohydrate concentration in alfalfa on fermentation and microbial protein synthesis in continuous culture. Journal of Dairy Science. 93:693-700. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2009-2399
- Broderick, G.A. and Radloff, W.J. 2004. Effect of molasses supplementation on the production of lactating dairy cows fed diets based on alfalfa and corn silage. Journal of Dairy Science. 87:2997-3009. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(04)73431-1
- Chamberlain, D.G., Robertson, S. and Choung, J.J. 1993. Sugars versus starch as supplements to grass silage: effects on ruminal fermentation and the supply of microbial protein to the small intestine, estimated from the urinary excretion of purine derivatives, in sheep. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 63:189-194. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740630204
- Correa, C.E.S., Pereira, M.N., Oliveira, S.G.d. and Ramos, M.H. 2003. Performance of Holstein cows fed sugarcane or corn silages of different grain textures. Scientia Agricola. 60:621-629. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0103-90162003000400003
- DeVries, T.J. and Gill, R.M. 2012. Adding liquid feed to a total mixed ration reduces feed sorting behavior and improves productivity of lactating dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 95:2648-2655. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2011-4965
- Emanuele, S.M. 2004. Sugar in diets for dairy cows. Proceedings of 65th Minnesota Nutrition Conference, University of Minnesota, St. Paul, Minn. pp. 241.
- Firkins, J.L. and Eastridge, M.L. 2010. Addition of sugars to dairy rations. Proceedings of the 19th Annual Tri-State Dairy Nutrition Conference, Grand Wayne Center, Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA. pp. 91-105.
- Grant, R.J., Haddad, S.G., Moore, K.J. and Pedersen, J.F. 1995. Brown midrib sorghum silage for midlactation dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 78:1970-1980. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(95)76823-0
- Hall, M.B., Larson, C.C. and Wilcox, C.J. 2010. Carbohydrate source and protein degradability alter lactation, ruminal, and blood measures. Journal of Dairy Science. 93:311-322. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2009-2552
- Hintz, R.W., Mertens, D.R. and Albrecht, K.A. 1996. Effects of sodium sulfite on recovery and composition of detergent fiber and lignin. Journal of AOAC International. 79:16-22.
- Hristov, A.N. and Ropp, J.K. 2003. Effect of dietary carbohydrate composition and availability on utilization of ruminal ammonia nitrogen for milk protein synthesis in dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 86:2416-2427. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)73836-3
- Lascano, G.J., Velez, M., Tricarico, J.M. and Heinrichs, A.J. 2012. Nutrient utilization of fresh sugarcane-based diets with slow-release nonprotein nitrogen addition for control-fed dairy heifers. Journal of Dairy Science. 95:370-376. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2011-4275
- McCormick, M.E., Redfearn, D.D., Ward, J.D. and Blouin, D.C. 2001. Effect of protein source and soluble carbohydrate addition on rumen fermentation and lactation performance of Holstein cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 84:1686-1697. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(01)74604-8
- Nocek, J.E., Socha, M.T. and Tomlinson, D.J. 2006. The effect of trace mineral fortification level and source on performance of dairy cattle. Journal of Dairy Science. 89:2679-2693. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(06)72344-X
- NRC. 2001. Nutrient requirements of dairy cattle. 7th revised ed.
- Oelker, E.R., Reveneau, C. and Firkins, J.L. 2009. Interaction of molasses and monensin in alfalfa hay-or corn silage-based diets on rumen fermentation, total tract digestibility, and milk production by Holstein cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 92:270-285. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-1432
- Penner, G.B. and Oba, M. 2009. Increasing dietary sugar concentration may improve dry matter intake, ruminal fermentation, and productivity of dairy cows in the postpartum phase of the transition period. Journal of Dairy Science. 92:3341-3353. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-1977
- Qin, L.-Q., Wang, X.-P., Li, W., Tong, X. and Tong, W.-J. 2009. The minerals and heavy metals in cow's milk from China and Japan. Journal of Health Science. 55:300-305. https://doi.org/10.1248/jhs.55.300
- Sola-Larranaga, C. and Navarro-Blasco, I. 2009. Chemometric analysis of minerals and trace elements in raw cow milk from the community of Navarra, Spain. Food Chemistry. 112:189-196. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.05.062
- Solomon, R., Chase, L.E., Ben-Ghedalia, D. and Bauman, D.E. 2000. The effect of nonstructural carbohydrate and addition of full fat extruded soybeans on the concentration of conjugated linoleic acid in the milk fat of dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 83:1322-1329. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(00)74998-8
- Tas, B.M., Taweel, H.Z., Smit, H.J., Elgersma, A., Dijkstra, J. and Tamminga, S. 2006. Rumen degradation characteristics of perennial ryegrass cultivars during the growing season. Animal Feed Science and Technology. 131:103-120. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2006.02.002
- Varga, G.A., Cassidy, T.W., Ishler, V., Luchini, N.D. and Broderick, G.A. 2001. Effect of replacing dietary starch with sucrose on nutrient utilization by ruminal microorganisms during continuous culture fermentation. Journal of Dairy Science. 84:290.
- Wattiaux, M.A. 1996. Raising dairy heifers. Babcock Institute for International Dairy Research and Development, University of Wisconsin.
- Weimer, P.J., Stevenson, D.M. and Mertens, D.R. 2010. Shifts in bacterial community composition in the rumen of lactating dairy cows under milk fat-depressing conditions. Journal of Dairy Science. 93:265-278. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2009-2206