- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Impact of Current Density, Operating Time and pH of Textile Wastewater Treatment by Electrocoagulation Process
- Hossain, Md. Milon ;
- Mahmud, Md. Iqbal ;
- Parvez, Md. Shohan ;
- Cho, Haeng Muk
- Received : 2013.01.07
- Accepted : 2013.06.28
- Published : 2013.09.30
Treatment of textile wastewater by the electrocoagulation (EC) process is being investigated by this experimental study. The objective of this experiment is to observe the efficiency of the EC process in removing chemical oxygen demand (COD) and turbidity. In this experiment an iron electrode is used in the EC process, and different working parameters such as pH, current density and operating time were studied in an attempt to achieve a higher removal capacity. The results show that the maximum COD removal occurred at neutral pH at operating time 30 min. COD and turbidity removal reaches at maximum, with optimum consumption of electrodes, between current density 85-95
Chemical oxygen demand;Electrocoagulation;Electrode;Textile wastewater;Treatment
- Lin SH, Lin CM. Treatment of textile waste effluents by ozonation and chemical coagulation. Water Res. 1993;27:1743-1748. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1354(93)90112-U
- Gurnham CF. Industrial wastewater control, a textbook and reference work. New York: Academic Press; 1965.
- Benefield LD, Judkins JF, Weand BL. Process chemistry for water and wastewater treatment. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall; 1982.
- Chu W. Dye removal from textile dye wastewater using recycled alum sludge. Water Res. 2001;35:3147-3152. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(01)00015-X
- El-Geundi MS. Colour removal from textile effluents by adsorption techniques. Water Res. 1991;25:271-273. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1354(91)90006-C
- Janos P, Buchtova H, Ryznarova M. Sorption of dyes from aqueous solutions onto fly ash. Water Res. 2003;37:4938- 4944. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2003.08.011
- Meshko V, Markovska L, Mincheva M, Rodrigues AE. Adsorption of basic dyes on granular activated carbon and natural zeolite. Water Res. 2001;35:3357-3366. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(01)00056-2
- Shammas NK, Pouet M, Grasmick A. Wastewater treatment by electrocoagulation-flotation. Flotat. Technol. 2010;12:199-220.
- Lin SH, Chen ML. Treatment of textile wastewater by chemical methods for reuse. Water Res. 1997;31:868-876. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(96)00318-1
- Lin SH, Peng CF. Treatment of textile wastewater by electrochemical method. Water Res. 1994;28:277-282. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1354(94)90264-X
- Butler E, Hung YT, Yeh RY, Al Ahmad MS. Electrocoagulation in wastewater treatment. Water 2011;3:495-525. https://doi.org/10.3390/w3020495
- Mollah MY, Morkovsky P, Gomes JA, Kesmez M, Parga J, Cocke DL. Fundamentals, present and future perspectives of electrocoagulation. J. Hazard. Mater. 2004;114:199-210. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2004.08.009
- Othman F, Sohaili J, Ni'am MF, Fauzia Z. Enhancing suspended solids removal from wastewater using Fe electrodes. Malays. J. Civil Eng. 2006;18:138-149.
- Babu RR, Bhadrinarayana NS, MeeraSheriffa Begum KM, Anantharaman N. Treatment of tannery wastewater by electrocoagulation. J. Univ. Chem. Technol. Met. 2007;42:201-206.
- Murthy ZV, Raina A. Treatment of wastewater of navy blue- 3G by electrocoagulation. Int. J. Chem. React. Eng. 2008;6 Note S2. http://dx.doi.org/10.2202/1542-6580.1631.
- Xu X, Zhu X. Treatment of refectory oily wastewater by electro- coagulation process. Chemosphere 2004;56:889-894. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2004.05.003
- Flagship Ecosystems. TRIDENT water systems: electro contaminant removal unit (series T-20) operating manual. Singapore: Flagship Ecosystems Pte. Ltd.: c2013.
- US Environmental Protection Agency. Profile of the textile industry. Washington: US Environmental Protection Agency; 1997.
- Chen X, Chen G, Yue PL. Separation of pollutants from resand taurant wastewater by electrocoagulation. Sep. Purif. Technol. 2000;19:65-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1383-5866(99)00072-6
- Gurses A, Yalcin M, Dogar C. Electrocoagulation of some reactive dyes: a statistical investigation of some electrochemical variables. Waste Manag. 2002;22:491-499. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0956-053X(02)00015-6
- Kobya M, Can OT, Bayramoglu M. Treatment of textile wastewaters by electrocoagulation using iron and aluminum electrodes. J. Hazard. Mater. 2003;100:163-178. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3894(03)00102-X
- Do JS, Chen ML. Decolourization of dye-containing solutions by electrocoagulation. J. Appl. Electrochem. 1994;24:785-790. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00578095
- Tsai CT, Lin ST, Shue YC, Su PL. Electrolysis of soluble organic matter in leachate from landfills. Water Res. 1997;31:3073- 3081. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(96)00297-7
- Bayramoglu M, KobyaM, Can OT, Sozbir M. Operating cost analysis of electrocoagulation of textile dye wastewater. Sep. Purif. Technol. 2004;37:117-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2003.09.002
- Environmental Engineering Research in September 2013 pp.2005-968X, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4491/eer.2013.18.3.115
- Preparation of reusable conductive activated charcoal plate as a new electrode for industrial wastewater treatment vol.32, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11814-015-0021-2
- Combination of TiO2-photocatalytic process and biological oxidation for the treatment of textile wastewater vol.32, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11814-014-0345-3
- On the positive role of doping Cu and N2 on TiO2 in improving dye degradation efficiency: Providing reaction mechanisms vol.32, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11814-014-0380-0
- Coral-associated viruses and bacteria in the Ha Long Bay, Vietnam vol.76, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3354/ame01775
- Fouling and cleaning of reverse osmosis membrane applied to membrane bioreactor effluent treating textile wastewater vol.21, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4491/eer.2015.090
- Degradation of azo dye C.I. Acid Red 18 using an eco-friendly and continuous electrochemical process vol.33, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11814-015-0175-y
- Removal Efficiency of Electrocoagulation Treatment Using Aluminium Electrode for Stabilized Leachate vol.140, pp.1755-1315, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/140/1/012049
Supported by : Kongju National University