- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Building an Integrated Governance Model and Finding Management Measures for Nonpoint Source Pollution in Watershed Management of Korea
Ban, Yong Un;Woo, Hye Mi;Han, Kyung Min;Baek, Jong In
- Received : 2013.03.08
- Accepted : 2013.07.22
- Published : 2013.09.30
This study intended to develop an integrated governance model and find measures to manage nonpoint source (NPS) pollutions in watershed management. To reach this goal, this study has analyzed NPS pollution management policies in Korea and has employed statistical methods such as expert Delphi survey, analysis of variance, and factor analysis. As a result, this study has found that the favored basic organization form was a private-public cooperative council. The necessary governance-based NPS pollution management measures determined through this study are as follows: to build collaboration mechanisms including those related to motivation provision, trust building, capacity building, and making optimal regulations; to employ financial resources based on principles such as 'polluter-pays', 'recipient-pays', and 'general-tax-source'; and to develop several programs, including system improvement, pilot and management projects, and publicity.
Analysis of variance;Factor analysis;Governance model;Nonpoint source pollution management;Watershed management
- Lebel L, Daniel R, Badenoch N, Garden P, Imamura M. A multi-level perspective on conserving with communities: experiences from upper tributary watersheds in montane mainland Southeast Asia. Int. J. Commons 2008;2:127-154.
- Mander U, Forsberg C. Nonpoint pollution in agricultural watersheds of endangered coastal seas. Ecol. Eng. 2000;14:317-324. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-8574(99)00058-0
- Choi JY. Study on connection strengthening measures for nonpoint source pollution projects by governmental departments. Seoul: Korea Environment Institute; 2008.
- Hermans LM. Dynamic actor network analysis for diffuse pollution in the province of North-Holland. Water Sci. Technol. 2004;49:205-212.
- Pahl-Wostl C, Tabara D, Bouwen R, et al. The importance of social learning and culture for sustainable water management. Ecol. Econ. 2008;64:484-495. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolecon.2007.08.007
- Lubell M. Collaborative watershed management: a view from the grassroots. Policy Stud. J. 2004;32:341-361. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1541-0072.2004.00069.x
- Hardy SD, Koontz TM. Reducing nonpoint source pollution through collaboration: policies and programs across the U.S. States. Environ. Manag. 2008;41:301-310. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00267-007-9038-6
- Kerr J. Watershed management: lessons from common property theory. Int. J. Study Commons 2007;1:89-109. https://doi.org/10.18352/ijc.8
- Smolko BA, Huberd RR, Tam-Davis N. Creating meaningful stakeholder involvement in watershed planning in pierce county, Washington. J. Am. Water Resour. Assoc. 2002;38:981-994. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-1688.2002.tb05539.x
- Bell AR, Lemos MC, Scavia D. Cattle, clean water, and climate change: policy choices for the Brazilian Agricultural Frontier. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2010;44:8377-8384. https://doi.org/10.1021/es101729z
- Demetropoulou L, Nikolaidis N, Papadoulakis V, et al. Water framework directive implementation in Greece: introducing participation in water governance. The case of the Evrotas River Basin management plan. Environ. Policy Governance 2010;20:336-349. https://doi.org/10.1002/eet.553
- Durant RF, Fiorino DJ, O'Leary R. Environmental governance reconsidered: challenges, choices and opportunities. Cambridge: MIT Press; 2004.
- John D. Civic environmentalism: alternatives to regulation in states and communities. Washington: CQ Press; 1994.
- Koontz TM, Thomas CW. What do we know and need to know about the environmental outcomes of collaborative management? Public Adm. Rev. 2006;66:111-121. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6210.2006.00671.x
- Korea Ministry of Environment. Nonpoint pollution management: necessity and techniques. Seoul: Ministry of Environment; 2003.
- US Environmental Protection Agency. National water quality inventory 2000 report. Washington: US Environmental Protection Agency; 2000.
- Dowd BM, Press P, Los Huertos M. Agricultural nonpoint source water pollution policy: the case of California's Central Coast. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 2008;128:151-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2008.05.014
- Lopez-Gunn E, Jarvis WT. Groundwater governance and the law of the hidden sea. Water Policy 2009;11:742-762. https://doi.org/10.2166/wp.2009.021
- Marks G, Hooghe L. Contrasting visions of multi-level governance. In: Bache I, Flinders MV, eds. Multi-level governance. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2004. p. 15-30.
- Wagner JR, White K. Water and development in the Okanagan Valley of British Columbia. J. Enterp. Communities: People Places Glob. Econ. 2009;3:378-392. https://doi.org/10.1108/17506200910999129
- Crowfoot JE, Wondolleck JM. Environmental disputes: community involvement in conflict resolution. Washington: Island Press; 1990.
- Parker KB, Margerum RD, Dedrick DC, Dedrick JP. Sustaining watershed collaboratives: the issue of coordinator-board relationships. Soc. Nat. Resour. 2010;23:469-484. https://doi.org/10.1080/08941920802509079
- Frederickson HG. The spirit of public administration. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers; 1996.
- Lynn LE, Heinrich CJ, Hill CJ. Studying governance and public management: challenges and prospects. J. Public Adm. Res. Theory 2000;10:233-261. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.jpart.a024269
- Nikolic SJ, Koontz TM. Nonprofit organizations in environmental management: a comparative analysis of government impacts. J. Public Adm. Res. Theory 2008;18:441-463.
- Mukherji A, Shah T. Groundwater socio-ecology and governance: a review of institutions and policies in selected countries. Hydrogeol. J. 2005;13:328-345. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10040-005-0434-9
- Corporate Governance defined [Internet]. [unknown]: Corporate Governance; c2013 [cited 2013 Jul 15]. Available from: http://corpgov.net/library/corporate-governance-defined/.
- Simon JC, Poston RS, Kettinger B. Creating better governance of offshore services. Inf. Syst. Manag. 2009;26:110-122. https://doi.org/10.1080/10580530902794778
- Adams E, Gray K. Lake Roosevelt: successes and failure in building partnerships. Proceedings Watershed '96; 1996 Jun 8-12; Baltimore, MD.
- Kearney J, Berkes F, Charles A, Pinkerton E, Wiber MG. The role of participatory governance and community-based management in integrated coastal and ocean management in Canada. Coast. Manag. 2007;35:79-104. https://doi.org/10.1080/10.1080/08920750600970511
- Milward HB, Provan KG. Governing the hollow state. J. Public Adm. Res. Theory 2000;10:359-379. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.jpart.a024273
- Imperial MT. Using collaboration as a governance strategy: lessons from six watershed management programs. Adm. Soc. 2005;37:281-320. https://doi.org/10.1177/0095399705276111
- Koontz TM, Steelman TA, Carmin J, Smith Korfmacher K, Moseley C, Thomas CW. Collaborative environmental management: what roles for government?. Washington: Resource for the Future; 2004.
- Romero D, Galeano N, Molina A. Mechanisms for assessing and enhancing organisations' readiness for collaboration in collaborative networks. Int. J. Prod. Res. 2009;47:4691-4710. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207540902847280
- Christine C. Situation assessment for a consensus process. In: Getting the most out of collaborative stakeholder process: a training manual. Santa Fe: Policy Consensus Initiative; 1999.
- Carpenter S. Choosing appropriate consensus building techniques and strategies. In: Susskind L, McKearnan S, Thomas- Larmer J, eds. The consensus building handbook: a comprehensive guide to reaching agreement. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications: 1999. p. 61-97.
- Ysa T. Governance forms in urban public-private partnerships. Int. Public Manag. J. 2007;10:35-57. https://doi.org/10.1080/10967490601185724
- Cortner H, Moote MA. The politics of ecosystem management. Washington: Island Press; 1999.
- Leach WD, Pelkey NW. Making watershed partnerships work: a review of the empirical literature. J. Water Resour. Plan. Manag. 2001;127:378-385. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9496(2001)127:6(378)
- Sabatier PA, Focht W, Lubell M, Trachtenberg Z, Vedlitz A, Matlock M. Swimming upstream: collaborative approaches to watershed management. Cambridge: MIT Press; 2005.
- The Office for Government Policy Coordination; The Ministry of Public Administration and Security; The Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, et al. General management measures of four major rivers' nonpoint source pollution. Seoul: The Office for Government Policy Coordination; 2004.
- Cooper DR, Schindler PS. Business research methods. 9th ed. Boston: McGraw-Hill Irwin; 2006.
- Tabachnick BG, Fidell LS. Experimental designs using ANOVA. Independence: Cengage Learning; 2006.
Supported by : Chungbuk National University