- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Impact of School Violence on Psychological Well-being: Korean Students' Happiness and Suicidal Impulse
한국 청소년의 학교폭력 경험과 심리적 안녕 -주관적 행복감과 자살충동을 중심으로-
- Received : 2013.08.26
- Accepted : 2013.09.16
- Published : 2013.09.28
This study examines the impact of school violence on South Korean students' psychological well-being. The research is designed to analyze how different types of experiences of school violence-victim, perpetrator, victim-perpetrator, and non-involvement-influence students' suicidal impulse and sense of happiness. Empirical data was gained from a national-scale survey conducted by Social Development Research Institute at Yonsei University in 2013, and was analyzed using binary logistic and multiple regression methods. Findings suggest that any types of experiences of school violence had significant effect on suicidal impulse. In particular, the likelihood of victim-perpetrator to experience suicidal impulse was 7.1 times stronger than non-involvement. However, the effect of experiences of school violence on students' sense of happiness was insignificant. While the impact of school violence on sense of happiness among victims and victim-perpetrators was significant, its impact among perpetrators proved insignificant. Rather, stress factor-in particular, stress from peers-had more significant impact on the level of students' happiness. This study contributes to understanding the multiple effect of school violence by examining both negative and positive dimensions of psychological well-being.
School Violence;Happiness;Suicidal Impulse;Psychological Well-being;Stress
Supported by : 한국방정환재단
- 연세대학교 사회발전연구소, 한국 어린이-청소년 행복지수 구축과 국제비교연구 조사결과 보고서, 2009-2012.
- 윤명숙, 조혜정, "청소년의 폭력경험 유형이 우울 및 음주행위에 미치는 영향-가정폭력, 학교폭력, 중복폭력 피해경험 중심으로", 정신보건과 사회사업, 제29권, pp.295-329, 2008.
- 청소년폭력예방재단, 학교폭력 실태조사 보고서, 2011.
- 오마이뉴스, "초중고생 자살 현 정부 들어 1.3배 증가, 왜?" 2012(10월 2일).
- R. Benbenishty and R. A. Astor, School Violence in Context: Cultural, Neighborhood, Family, School, and Gender, New York: Oxford University Press, 2005.
- J. K. Chen and R. A. Astor, "School Violence in Taiwan: Examining How Western Risk Factors Predict School Violence in an Asian Culture," J. of Interpersonal Violence, Vol.25, No.8, pp.1388-1410, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1177/0886260509354576
- J. K. Chen and H. S. Wei, "The Impact of School Violence on Self-Esteem and Depression among Taiwanese Junior High School Students," Social Indicators Research, Vol.100, pp.479-498, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-010-9625-4
- 김선아, "중학생의 스트레스와 애착이 폭력가해와 피해경험에 미치는 영향: 가해-피해 중첩집단과 일반집단을 중심으로", 한국청소년연구, 제16권, 제2호, pp.5-36, 2005.
- A. Baldry, "'What about Bullying?' An Experimental Field Study to Understand Students' Attitudes towards Bullying and Victimisation in Italian Middle Schools," British Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol.74, pp.583-598, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1348/0007099042376391
- D. J. Flannery, K. L. Wester, and M. I. Singer, "Impact of Exposure to Violence in School on Child and Adolescent Mental Health and Behavior," J. of Community Psychology, Vol.32, pp.559-573, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcop.20019
- A. B. Klomek, F. Marrocco, M. Kleinman, I. S. Schonfeld, and M. S. Gould, "Peer Victimization, Depression, and Suicidality in Adolescents," Suicide Life-Threatening Behavior, Vol.38, pp.166-180, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1521/suli.2008.38.2.166
- 박재연, "학교폭력이 청소년 우울 및 자살에 미치는 영향에서 탄력성의 매개효과: 성별 차이를 중심으로", 사회복지연구, 제41권, 제1호, pp.345-375, 2010.
- 김준호, 박정선, 김은경, 학교주변 폭력의 실태와 대책, 한국형사정책연구원, 1997.
- 신혜섭, "중학생의 학교폭력 유형에 영향을 미치는 변인-가해경험, 피해경험, 가해.피해 중복경험에 대한 분석", 청소년학연구, 제12권, 제4호, pp.123-149, 2005.
- 김재엽, 이근영, "학교폭력 피해 청소년의 자살 생각에 대한 연구", 청소년학연구, 제17권, 제5호, pp.121-149, 2010.
- 김준호, 황지태, "학교폭력 피해자 조사의 문제점과 개선방안", 피해자학연구, 제10권, 제2호, pp.81-100, 2002.
- A. M. O' Moore and C. Kirkham, "Self-Esteem and Its Relationship to Bullying Behavour," Aggressive Behavior, Vol.27, pp.269-283, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1002/ab.1010
- Y. S. Kim, B. Leventhal, Y. J. Koh, and W. T. Boyce, "Bullying Increased Suicide Risk: Prospective Study of Korean Adolescents," Archives of Suicide Research, Vol.13, No.1, pp.15-30, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/13811110802572098
- W. M. Reynolds, Suicidal Ideation Questionnaire: Professional Mannual. Odessa, FL: Psychological Assessment Resources, 1988.
- K. Rigby and P. Slee, "Suicidal Ideation among Adolescent School Children, Involvement in Bully-Victim Problems, and Perceived Social Support," Suicide Life-Threatening Behavior, Vol.29, pp.119-130, 1999.
- M. F. van der Wal, C. A. de Wit, and R. A. Hirasing, "Psychosocial Health among Young Victims and Offenders of Direct and Indirect Bullying," Pediatrics, Vol.111, pp.1312-1317, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.111.6.1312
- S. Cleary, "Adolescent Victimization and Associated Suicidal and Violent Behaviors," Adolescence, Vol.35, pp.671-682, 2000.
- C. Mills, S. Guerin, F. Lynch, I. Daly, and C. Fitzpatrick, "The Relationship between Bullying, Depression and Suicidal Thoughts/Behaviour in Irish Adolescents," Irish Journal of Psychological Medicine, Vol.21, pp.112-116, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0790966700008521
- R. Kaltiala-Heino, M. Rimpela, M. Marttunen, A. Rimpela, and P. Rantanen, "Bullying, Depression, and Suicidal Ideation in Finnish Adolescents: School Survey," BMJ: British Medical Journal, Vol.319, pp.348-351, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.319.7206.348
- E. Roland, "Bullying, Depressive Symptoms and Suicidal Thoughts," Educational Research, Vol.44, pp.55-67, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1080/00131880110107351
- Y. S. Kim, Y. J. Koh, and B. Leventhal, "School Bullying and Suicidal Risk in Korean Middle School Students," Pediatrics, Vol.115, pp.357-363, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2004-0902
- R. Forero, L. McLellan, C. Rissel, and A. Bauman, "Bullying Behavior and Psychosocial Health among School Students in New South Wales, Australia: Cross Sectional Survey," BMJ: British Medical Journal, Vol.319, pp.344-348, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.319.7206.344
- D. Seals and J. Young, "Bullying and Victimization: Prevalence and Relationship to Gender, Grade Level, Ethnicity, Self-Esteem, and Depression," Adolescence, Vol.38, pp.735-747, 2003.
- J. H. Phillips, J. Corcoran, and C. Grossman, "Implementing a Cognitive-Behavioral Curriculum for Adolescents with Depression in the School Setting," Children Schools, Vol.25, No.3, pp.147-158, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1093/cs/25.3.147
- 고성은, 홍혜영, "중학생의 생활스트레스가 자살 생각에 미치는 영향: 사회적 지지의 매개 효과를 중심으로", 청소년연구, 제16권, 제11호, pp.97-124, 2009.
- 김현순, "청소년의 스트레스, 자기효능감, 우울과 자살생각의 관계", 한국청소년연구, 제20권, 제1호, pp.203-225, 2009.
- 박종일, 박찬웅, 서효정, 염유식, "한국 어린이-청소년 행복지수 연구와 국제비교", 한국사회학, 제44권, 제2호, pp.121-154, 2010.
- 김지수, "성별에 따른 청소년의 자살생각과 관련 요인", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제12권, 제12호, pp.261-268, 2012.