- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Policy Rate Adjustments in US on the Korean Bond
미국 연방정책금리 조정효과가 국내 국고채시장에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2013.06.19
- Accepted : 2013.08.27
- Published : 2013.09.28
The objective of this study is to investigate the effects of FRB's policy rate adjustments on the 10 years Korea Treasury Bond (KTB) market. Our results are summarized as follows. First, it is found that the FRB's policy rate adjustments are statistically significant positive impact on the 10 years KTB yield. Based on projection, the 10bp increases in FRB's policy rate generates 7bp higher in 10 years KTB yield. Second, the result from after the Lehman bankruptcy in '08 is found to be statistically significant, while that of before financial crisis is not. Third, the variable, in which consistent with yield difference between the 10 years UTB(US Treasury Bond) and the 10 years KTB, is found that is statistically significant positive impact in 1% significance level. And also given that Brunner(2000) exhibited that the Federal Fund Rate innovations are found to impact on other economic variables through the impulse response, the 10 years KTB yield is found to respond to innovation in the Federal Fund Rate up to about 12 months.
- 김한준, "국내 금융기관들의 신용부도스왑 스프레드에 대한 재무적 결정요인 분석", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제12권, 제11호, pp.338-357, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.11.338
- 이효찬, "국내 증시에 대한 미 기준금리 조정효과 분석", 국제통상연구, 제17권, 제1호, pp.101-126, 2012.
- B. Bernanke and A. Blinder, "The Federal Funds Rate and the Channels of Monetary Policy Transmission," American Economic Review, Vol.82, pp.901-921, 1992.
- A. D. Brunner, "On the Derivation of Monetary Policy Shocks: Should We Throw the VAR out with the Bath Water?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Vol.32, pp.254-279, 2000. https://doi.org/10.2307/2601242
- L. Christiano and M. Eichenbaum, "Liquidity Effects, Monetary Policy, and the Business Cycle," American Economic Review, Vol.82, pp.346-353, 1992.
- L. Christiano, M. Eichenbaum, and C. Evans, "Identification and the Effects of Monetary Policy Shocks," in Financial Factors in Economic Stabilization and Growth, edited by M. Blejer, Z. Eckstein, Z. Hercowitz and L. Leiderman, pp.36-74, 1996.
- T. Cook and T. Hahn, "The Effect of Changes in the Federal Funds Rate Target on Market Interest Rates in the 1970s," Journal of Monetary Economics, Vol.24, pp.331-351, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3932(89)90025-1
- W. Edelberg and D. Marshall, "Monetary Policy Shocks and Long-Term Interest Rates," Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago Economic Perspectives, Vol.20, pp.2-17, 1996.
- C. Evans and D. Marshall, "Monetary Policy and the Term Structure of Nominal Interest Rates: Evidence and Theory," Carnegie- Rochester Conference Volume on Public Policy, Vol.49, pp.53-111, 1998.
- S. Ghosh, "Announcement Effects of the Federal Funds Rate Changes on Exchange Traded Funds and Bond Yields," European Journal of Economics, Vol.24, pp.147-156, 2010.
- G. Giorgio and S. Nistico, "Monetary Policy and Stock Prices in an Open Economy," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Vol.39, 2007.
- D. Gordon and E. Leeper, "The Dynamic Impacts of Monetary Policy: An Exercise in Tentative Identification," Journal of Political Economy, Vol.102, pp.1228-1247, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1086/261969
- J. Krueger and K. Kuttner, "The Fed Funds Future Rate as a Predictor of Federal Reserve Policy," Journal of Futures Markets, Vol.16, pp.865-879, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9934(199612)16:8<865::AID-FUT2>3.0.CO;2-K
- K. Kuttner, "Monetary Policy Surprises and Interest Rates: Evidence from the Fed Funds Futures Market," Journal of Monetary Economics, Vol.47, No.3, pp.523-544, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3932(01)00055-1
- E. Leeper and D. Gordon, "In Search of Liquidity Effect," Journal of Monetary Economics, Vol.29, pp.341-369, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3932(92)90031-V
- L. Radecki and V. Reinhart, The Financial Linkages in the Transmission of Monetary Policy in the U.S., National Differences in Interest Rate Transmission, BIS, Basel, 1994.
- W. Reichenstein, "The Impact of Money on Short-Term Interest Rates," Economic Inquiry, Vol.25, pp.67-82, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1465-7295.1987.tb00723.x
- V. Roley and G. H. Sellon, "Monetary Policy Actions and Long-Term Interest Rates," Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City Economic Quarterly, Vol.80, pp.77-89, 1995.
- S. Strongin, "The Identification of Monetary Policy Disturbances: Examining the Liquidity Effect," Journal of Monetary Economics, Vol.35, pp.463-497, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3932(95)01197-V