- Volume 22 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Numerical Simulation on Hydrodynamic Characterization Changes Associated with the Construction of Dikes and Dredging Operations in Saemangeum Lake
새만금호 내 방수제 공사 및 준설에 의한 수리동역학적 특성 변화 수치 모델링
- Received : 2013.02.14
- Accepted : 2013.05.08
- Published : 2013.09.30
The study area is located on the western coast, and the inner development construction has been ongoing since 2011. The purposes of current study are to effectively simulate and quantitatively predict a temporal and spatial distributions of water temperature and salinity due to the stages of inner development construction in saemangeum reclaimed area. The transient-state numerical modeling using EFDC model is done, and the numerical simulation results are validated reasonably by repetitive numerical model calibration procedures with respect to field measurements of water temperature and salinity. The spatial distributions of water temperature and salinity show similar trends before and after construction of the dikes. In spring season, the salinity has maximum value of 21 psu, while, in summer season, the salinity shows 7 psu in a whole modeling domain. Thus, it is clearly observed that salt water is replaced by freshwater. However, the salinity and temperature reach their initial conditions at the end of the year. The salinity after construction of the dikes is lower than that before construction of them at Mankyeong area. On the other hands, after construction of the dikes, the salinity after dredging operations is higher than that before dredging. Because drastical increasing of water volume in Saemangeum Lake leads to increasing of stagnation time at bottom layer, and salt water is easily intruded to the two estuaries. Therefore, it may be concluded that hydrodynamic characteristics on Saemangeum are dominated by either Mankyeong and Dongjin discharge or sluice gates in/out-flow amounts, and thus they must be properly considered when rigorous and reasonable predictions of water temperature and salinity according to the stages of inner development construction.
Saemangeum reclaimed area;EFDC model;Calibration;Numerical simulation;Temperature and salinity distributions
- ASCE, 1993, Task committee on definition of criteria for evaluation of watershed models, Criteria for evaluation of watershed models, J. of Irrigation Drainage Eng., 119(3), 429-442. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9437(1993)119:3(429)
- Bicknell, B. R., Imhoff, J. C., Kittle, Jr., A. S., Jobes, T. H., Donigian, Jr., A. S., United States Environmental Protection Agency, 2011, Version 12.2 of HSPF User's Manual, http://water.epa.gov/scitech/datait/ models/basins/bsnsdocs.cfm#hspf/.
- Donigian, Jr. A. S., 2000, HSPF Training Workshop Handbook and CD. Lecture #19. Calibration and Verification Issues, Slide #L19-22, EPA Headquarters, Washington Information Center, 10-14 January, 2000, Presented and prepared for U.S. EPA, Office of Water, Office fo Science and Technology, Washington, D.C.
- Hamrick, J. M., 1992, A three-dimensional environmental fluid dynamics computer code : theoretical and computational aspects, SRAMSOE #317, The college of William and Mary, Gloucester Point, VA.
- Jeon, J. H., Chung, S. W., 2012, A sensitivity analysis on numerical grid size of a three-dimensional hydrodynamic and water quality model (EFDC) for the Saemangeum reservoir, J. of Korean Soc. of Water Env., 28(1), 26-37.
- Jeon, J. H., Chung, S. W., Park, H. S., Jang, J. R., 2011, Evaluation of EFDC for the simulations of water quality in Saemangeum reservoir, J. of Korean Soc. on Water Quality, 27(4), 445-460.
- Jung, J. Y., Shin, Y. R., Choi, J. H., Choi, I. K., Yoon, C. G., Son, Y. K., 2011, Characteristics of pollutant loads in Saemangeum watershed using HSPF, J. of Korean National Committee on Irrigation and Drainage, 18(2), 54-65.
- Knauss, J. A., 1997, Introduction to Physical Oceanography, 2/e, Prentice-Hall, Inc, New Jersey, USA.
- KMA, 2012, Observation data of Gunsan meteorological station, http://www.kma.go.kr.
- KRC, 2009, Water quality study for the Saemangeum reclaiming area(IV), KRC publication No. SM-01- 01-08-09.
- KRC, 2011a, Model study on water quality for Saemangeum water area, KRC publication No. SH-01-11-05-11.
- KRC, 2011b, Report for monitoring of salinity and water quality in Saemangeum reservoir.
- KRC, 2012, Model study on water quality for Saemangeum water area, KRC publication No. SH-01-11-06-12.
- K-Water, 2011, Analysis on water quality for evaluation of dredging amounts in Saemangeum reservoir.
- Paul M. Craig, P. E., 2011, User's Manual for EFDC_ Explorer6: A Pre/Post Processor for the Environmental Fluid Dynamic Code, June 6, 2011, Dynamic Solution International LLC.
- Shin, Y. R., Jung, J. Y., Choi, J. H., Jung, K. W., 2012, Hydrodynamic modeling of Saemangeum reservoir and watershed using HSPF and EFDC, J. of Korean Soc. of Water Env., 28(3), 384-393. https://doi.org/10.5572/KOSAE.2012.28.4.384
- Suh, S. W., Lee, H. Y., 2008, Water quality simulations after completion of Saemangeum reservoir construction, J. of Korean Soc. of Civil Eng., 28(1B), 79-93.
- Suh, S. W., Lee, H. Y., Yoo, S. C., 2010, Simulation of water quality changes in the Saemangeum reservoir induced by dike completion, J. of Korean Soc. of Coastal and Ocean Eng., 22(4), 258-271.
- US EPA, 2000. BASINS Technical Note 6, Estimating hydrology and hydraulic parameters for HSPF. EPA-823-R00-012.
- Yoo, S. C., Suh, S. W., Lee, H. Y., 2012, Impacts on residence time and water quality of the Saemangeum reservoir caused by inner development, J. of Korean Soc. for Mar. Env. Eng., 15(3), 186-197. https://doi.org/10.7846/JKOSMEE.2012.15.3.186
- Zhen G. J., 2007, Hydrodynamics and water quality, modeling rivers, reservoirs, and estuaries, Wileyinterscience, 45-55.
- Prediction of desalination time of saemangeum reservoir vol.65, pp.15310353, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/ird.2033