- Volume 21 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Antinociceptive, Immunomodulatory and Antipyretic Activity of Nymphayol Isolated from Nymphaea stellata (Willd.) Flowers
- Pandurangan, Subash-Babu (Molecular Biology Research Lab, Department of Food science and Nutrition, College of Food and Agricultural Science, King Saud University) ;
- Paul, Antony Samy (Division of Ethnopharmacology, Entomology Research Institute, Loyola College) ;
- Savarimuthu, Ignacimuthu (Division of Ethnopharmacology, Entomology Research Institute, Loyola College) ;
- Ali, Alshatwi A (Molecular Biology Research Lab, Department of Food science and Nutrition, College of Food and Agricultural Science, King Saud University)
- Received : 2013.03.05
- Accepted : 2013.07.02
- Published : 2013.09.30
In the present study, we aimed to analyze the antinociceptive, immunomodulatory and antipyretic activities of nymphayol were investigated in wistar rats and mice. Antinociceptive effect was evaluated by acetic acid induced writhing, formalin induced paw licking and hot-plate tests. Immunomodulatory activity was assessed by neutrophil adhesion test, humoral response to sheep red blood cells, delayed-type hypersensitivity, phagocytic activity and cyclophosphamide induced myelosuppression. Antipyretic activity was evaluated by yeast induced hyperthermia in rats. Nymphayol produced significant (p<0.05) antinociceptive activity in acetic acid induced writhing response and late phase of the formalin induced paw licking response. Pre-treatment with nymphayol (50 mg/kg, oral) evoked a significant increase in neutrophil adhesion to nylon fibres. The augmentation of humoral immune response to sheep red blood cells by nymphayol (50 mg/kg) was evidenced by increase in antibody titres in rats. Oral administration of nymphayol (50 mg/kg) to rats potentiated the delayed-type hypersensitivity reaction induced by sheep red blood cells. Treatment with nymphayol showed a significant (p<0.05) reduction in pyrexia in rats. The results suggest that nymphayol possesses potent anti-nociceptive, immunomodulatory and antipyretic activities.
- Benacerraf, B. (1978) A hypothesis to relate the specificity of T lymphocytes and the activity of I region specific Ir genes in macrophages and B lymphocytes. J. Immunol. 120, 1809-1832.
- Dale, M. M. and Foreman, J. C. (1984) Textbook of Immunopharmacology. Blackwell, London.
- Das, D. R., Sachan, A. K., Mohd, S. and Gangwar, S. S. (2012) Nymphaea stellata: a potential herb and its medicinal importance. J. Drug Deliv. Ther. 2, 41-44.
- Futaki, N., Takahashi, S., Yokoyama, M., Arai, I., Higuchi, S. and Otomo, S. (1994) NS-398, a new anti-inflammatory agent, selectively inhibits prostaglandin G/H synthase/cyclooxygenase (COX-2) activity in vitro. Prostaglandins 47, 55-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/0090-6980(94)90074-4
- Halliwell, B. (2002) Effect of diet on cancer development: is oxidative DNA damage a biomarker?. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 32, 968-974. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(02)00808-0
- Hudson, L. and Hay, F. C. (1980) Practical Immunology. 2nd ed. Blackwell, London.
- Hunskaar, S. and Hole, K. (1987) The formalin test in mice: dissociation between inflammatory and non-inflammatory pain. Pain 30, 103-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(87)90088-1
- Kianbakht, S. and Ghazavi. A. (2011) Immunomodulatory effects of saffron: a randomized double - blind placebo - controlled clinical trial. Phytother. Res. 25, 1801-1805. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.3484
- Lin, C. C. and Huang, P. C. (2002) Antioxidant and hepatoprotective effects of Acathopanax senticosus. Phytother. Res. 14, 489-494.
- Miller L. E. (1991) In Manual of Laboratory Immunology (H. R. Ludke, J. E. Peacock, R. H. Tomar, Eds.), pp. 1-18, Lea and Febiger, London.
- Milton, A. S. (1982) Prostaglandins and fever. Trends Pharmacol. Sci. 3, 490-492. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-6147(82)91250-0
- Mungantiwar, A. A., Nair, A. M., Shinde, U. A., Dikshit, V. J., Saraf, M. N. and Thakur, V. S. (1999) Studies on the immunomodulatory effects of Boerhaavia diffusa alkaloidal fraction. J. Ethanopharmacol. 65, 125-131. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-8741(98)00153-6
- Nadkarni, K. M. (1954) Indian Materia Medica, Vol. I. 3rd ed. pp. 860. Popular Book Depot, Dhoot Papeshwar: Bombay.
- Nelson, D. A. and Mildenhall, P. (1967) Studies on cytophilic antibodies: The production by mice of macrophage cytophilic antibodies to sheep erythrocytes: relationship to the production of other antibodies and development of delayed type hypersensitivity. Aus. J. Exp. Biol. Med. Sci. 45, 113-130. https://doi.org/10.1038/icb.1967.9
- Ojewole, J. A. (2005) Antinociceptive, anti-inflammatory and antidiabetic effects of Bryophyllum pinnatum (Crassulaceae) leaf aqueous extract. J. Ethnopharmacol. 99, 13-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2005.01.025
- Parkhouse, J. and Pleuvry, B.J. (1979) Analgesic Drug. Blackwell, Oxford.
- Puri, A., Saxena, R. P. and Saxena, K.C. (1993) Immunostimulant agents from Andrographis peniculata. J. Nat. Prod. 56, 995-999. https://doi.org/10.1021/np50097a002
- Reisine, T. and Pasternack, G. (1996) Opioid analgesics and antagonists. In Goodman and Gilman's, the Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics (J. G. Hardman, L. E. Limbird, Eds.). 9th ed. Mc-Graw-Hill, New York.
- Subash-Babu, P., Ignacimuthu, S., Agastian, P. and Varghese, B. (2009) Partial regeneration of beta-cells in the islets of Langerhans by Nymphayol a sterol isolated from Nymphaea stellata (Willd.) flowers. Bioorg. Med. Chem. 17, 2864-2870. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bmc.2009.02.021
- Tallarida, R. J. and Murria, R. B. (1987) Manual of pharmacologic calculations with computer programs. 2nd ed. Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Vane, J. (1987) The evolution of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and their mechanisms of action. Drugs 33, 18-27. https://doi.org/10.2165/00003495-198700331-00005
- Vogel, H. G. and Vogel, W. H. (1997) Drug discovery and evaluation: pharmacological assays. In (H. G. Vogel, W. H. Vogel, Eds.). Springer-Verlag, Berlin; New York.
- Wagner, H. (1984) In Economic and Medicinal Plant Research (Hiroshi Hikino, N. R., Farnsworth, Eds.), pp. 113-53. vol. I. Academic Press, London.
- Wilkinson, P. C. (1978) Neutrophil adhesion test. In Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology (J. K. Vane, S.H. Ferreria, Eds.). 1st ed. Springer Verlag, Berlin.
- Ziauddin, M., Phansalkar, N., Patki, P., Diwanay, S. and Patwardhan, B. (1996) Studies on the immunomodulatory effects of Ashwagandha. J. Ethnopharmacol. 50, 69-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-8741(95)01318-0
- A mechanistic approach to anti-nociceptive potential of Artemisia macrocephala Jacquem vol.16, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12906-016-1114-0
- Gastroprotective effect of nymphayol isolated from Nymphaea stellata (Willd.) flowers: Contribution of antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-apoptotic activities vol.224, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbi.2014.09.020
- Scientific investigation of crude alkaloids from medicinal plants for the management of pain vol.16, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12906-016-1157-2