- Volume 12 Issue 3
Disassembly of discarded products takes place in the process of remanufacturing, recycling, and disposal. The disassembly lines have been taken as available choice for automated disassembly; therefore, it has become essential that it be designed and balanced to work efficiently. The multi-objective disassembly line balancing problem seeks to find a disassembly sequence which provides a feasible disassembly sequence, minimizes the number of workstations and idle time, and balances the line for the disassembly of post consumed product by considering the environment effects. This paper proposes a multi-criteria decision making technique based heuristic for assigning the disassembly tasks to the workstations. In the proposed heuristic, the PROMETHEE method is used for prioritizing the tasks to be assigned. The tasks are assigned to the disassembly workstations according to their priority rank and precedence relations. The proposed heuristic is illustrated with an example, and the results show that substantial improvement in the performance is achieved compared with other heuristics.
Heuristic;Line Balancing;MCDM;PROMETHEE Method;Product Disassembly
- Altekin, F. T., Kandiller, L., and Ozdemirel, N. E. (2008), Profit-oriented disassembly-line balancing, International Journal of Production Research, 46(10), 2675-2693. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207540601137207
- Askin, R. G. and Zhou, M. (1997), A parallel station heuristic for the mixed-model production line balancing problem, International Journal of Production Research, 35(11), 3095-3106. https://doi.org/10.1080/002075497194309
- Athawale, V. M. and Chakraborty, S. (2010), Facility location selection using PROMETHEE II Method, Proceedings of the 2010 International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 59-64.
- Avikal, S., Jain, R., and Mishra, P. K. (2013), A heuristic for U-shaped disassembly line balancing problems, MIT Journal of Mechanical Engineering, 3(1), 51-56.
- Avikal, S., Jain, R., Mishra, P. K., and Yadav, H. C. (2013), A heuristic for U-shaped assembly line balancing to improve labor productivity, Computer & Industrial Engineering, 64(4), 895-901. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2013.01.001
- Bautista, J. and Pereira, J. (2009), A dynamic programming based heuristic for the assembly line balancing problem, European Journal of Operational Research, 194(3), 787-794. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2008.01.016
- Baybars, I. (1986), An efficient heuristic method for the simple assembly line balancing problem, International Journal of Production Research, 24(1), 149-166. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207548608919719
- Boyson, N., Fliedner, M., and Scholl, A. (2007), A classification of assembly line balancing problems, European Journal of Operational Research, 183(2), 674-693. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2006.10.010
- Brans, J. P. (1982), L'ingenierie de la d ecision. Elaboration d'instruments d'aide a la decision. Methode PROMETHEE. In: Nadeau, R., Landry, M. (Eds.), L'aide a la decision: Nature, Instruments et Perspectives d'Avenir, Presses de l Universit e Laval, Quebec, Canada, 183-214.
- Brans, J. P. and Mareschal, B. (1994), The PROMCALC and GAIA decision support system for MCDA, Decision Support Systems, 12(4-5), 297-310. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-9236(94)90048-5
- Brans, J. P. and Vincke, Ph. (1985), A preference ranking organization method: the PROMETHEE method for multiple criteria decision-making, Management Science, 31(6), 647-656. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.31.6.647
- Brennan L., Gupta, S. M., and Taleb, K. N. (1994). Operations planning issues in assembly/disassembly environment, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 14 (9), 57-67. https://doi.org/10.1108/01443579410066767
- De Brucker, K., Verbeke, A., and Macharis, C. (2004), The applicability of multicriteria-analysis to the evaluation of intelligent transport systems (ITS), Research in Transportation Economics, 8(1), 151-179. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0739-8859(04)08008-4
- Ding, L. P., Feng, Y. X., Tan, J. R., and Gao, Y. C. (2010), A new multi-objective ant colony algorithm for solving the disassembly line balancing problems, International Journal of Advance Manufacturing Technology, 48(5-8), 761-771. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-009-2303-5
- Doumpos, M. and Zopounidis, C. (2004), A multi-criteria classification approach based on pair-wise comparison, European Journal of Operational Research, 158(2), 378-389. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2003.06.011
- Ghosh, S. and Gagnon, R. J. (1989), A comprehensive literature review and analysis of the design, balancing and scheduling of assembly systems, International Journal of Production Research, 27(4), 637-670. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207548908942574
- Gungor, A. and Gupta, S. M. (1999a), Issues in environmentally conscious manufacturing and product recovery: a survey, Computer & Industrial Engineering, 36(4), 811-853. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-8352(99)00167-9
- Gungor, A. and Gupta, S. M. (1999b), Disassembly line balancing, Proceedings of the 1999 Annual Meeting of the Northeast Decision Sciences Institute, Newport, RI, 193-195.
- Gungor, A. and Gupta, S. M. (1999c), A systematic solution approach to the disassembly line balancing problem, Proceedings of the 25th International Conference on Computers and Industrial Engineering, New Orleans, LA, 70-73.
- Gungor, A. and Gupta, S. M. (2001), A solution approach to the disassembly line problem in the presence of task failures, International journal of production research, 39(7), 1427-1467. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207540110052157
- Guo, J., Ko, Y. D., and Hwang, H. (2010), A manufacturing/ remanufacturing system with the consideration of required quality of end-of-used products, Industrial Engineering and Manufacturing System, 9(3), 204-214. https://doi.org/10.7232/iems.2010.9.3.204
- Gupta, S. M., McGovern, S. M., and Kamarthi, S. V. (2003), Solving disassembly sequence planning problems using combinatorial optimization, Proceedings of the 2003 Northeast Decision Sciences Institute Conference, Providence, RI, 178-180.
- Gupta, S. M. and Taleb, K. N. (1994), Scheduling disassembly, International Journal of Production Research, 32(8), 1857-1866. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207549408957046
- Hajkowicz, S. and Higgins, A. (2008), A comparison of multiple criteria analysis techniques for water resource management, European Journal of Operational Research, 184(1), 255-265. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2006.10.045
- Ilgin, M. A. and Gupta, S. M. (2011), Recovery of sensor embedded washing machines using a multi-kanban controlled disassembly line, Robotics and Computer- Integrated Manufacturing, 27(2), 318-334. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rcim.2010.07.016
- Koc, A., Sabuncuoglu, I., and Erel, E. (2009), Two exact formulations for disassembly line balancing problems with task precedence diagram construction using an AND/OR graph, IIE Transactions, 41(10), 866-881. https://doi.org/10.1080/07408170802510390
- Lambert, A. J. D. (2003), Disassembly sequencing: a survey, International Journal of Production Research, 41(16), 3721-3759. https://doi.org/10.1080/0020754031000120078
- Lambert, A. J. D. and Gupta, S. M. (2005), Disassembly Modeling for Assembly, Maintenance, Reuse, and Recycling, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Liu, S. B., Ong, H. L., and Huang, H. C. (2003), Two bidirectional heuristics for heuristics for the assembly line type II problem, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 22(9-10), 656-661. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-002-1504-y
- Matsumoto, T., Yahata, Y., and Shida, K. (2009), Design of a method for disassembly works on recycle products, Industrial Engineering and Manufacturing System, 8(1), 66-71.
- McGovern, S. M. and Gupta, S. M. (2003), 2-Opt heuristic for the disassembly line balancing problem, Proceedings of the SPIE International Conference on Environmentally Conscious Manufacturing III, Providence, RI, 71-84.
- McGovern, S. M. and Gupta, S. M. (2006), Ant colony optimization for disassembly sequencing with multiple objectives, International Journal of Advance Manufacturing Technology, 30(5-6), 481-496. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-005-0037-6
- McGovern, S. M. and Gupta, S. M. (2007), Combinatorial optimization analysis of the unary NP-complete disassembly line balancing problem, International Journal of Production Research, 45(18-19), 4485-4511. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207540701476281
- Scholl, A. and Klein, R. (1999), ULINO: optimally balancing U-shaped JIT assembly lines, International Journal of Production Research, 37(4), 721-736. https://doi.org/10.1080/002075499191481
- Taleb, K. N., Gupta, S. M., and Brennan, L. (1997), Disassembly of complex product structures with parts and materials commonality, Production Planning & Control: The Management of Operations, 8(3), 255-269. https://doi.org/10.1080/095372897235316
- Tang, Y. and Zhou, M. C. (2006), A systematic approach to design and operation of disassembly lines, IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, 3(3), 324-329. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASE.2005.860989
- Torres, F., Gil, P., Puente, S. T., Pomares, J., and Aracil, R. (2004), Automatic PC disassembly for component recovery, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 23(1-2), 39-46. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-003-1590-5
- Tsai, C. Y. and Nagaraj, S. E. (2011), Waste disposal models for manufacturing firm and disposal firm, Industrial Engineering and Manufacturing System, 10(2), 115-122. https://doi.org/10.7232/iems.2011.10.2.115
- Turcksin, L., Bernardini, A., and Macharis, C. (2011), A combined AHP-PROMETHEE approach for selecting the most appropriate policy scenario to stimulate a clean vehicle fleet, Procedia: Social and Behavioral Sciences, 20, 954-965. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2011.08.104
- 2-Stage Optimal Design and Analysis for Disassembly System with Environmental and Economic Parts Selection Using the Recyclability Evaluation Method vol.13, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7232/iems.2014.13.1.052
- Disassembly line balancing problem: a review of the state of the art and future directions pp.1366-588X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2018.1428775