- Volume 12 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Construction stage effect on the dynamic characteristics of RC frame using operational modal analysis
- Arslan, Mehmet Emin (Department of Civil Engineering, Karadeniz Technical University) ;
- Durmus, Ahmet (Department of Civil Engineering, Karadeniz Technical University)
- Received : 2012.08.01
- Accepted : 2013.01.11
- Published : 2013.07.01
In this study, dynamic characteristics such as natural frequencies, mode shapes and damping ratios of RC frame is determined for different construction stages using Operational Modal Analyses method under ambient vibration. Full scaled, one bay and one story RC frames are selected as an application for different construction stages such as plane, brick in-filled and brick in-filled with plaster. The RC frame is vibrated by natural excitations with small impact effects and the response signals are measured using sensitive accelerometers during ambient vibration tests. Measurement time-frequency span and effective mode number are determined by considering similar studies in literature. Sensitive seismic accelerometers are used to collect signals obtained from the experimental tests. To obtain experimental dynamic characteristics, output-only system identification technique is employed namely; Enhanced Frequency Domain Decomposition technique in the frequency domain. It is demonstrated that the ambient vibration measurements are enough to identify the most significant modes of RC frames.
- Altunisik, A.C., Bayraktar, A., Sevim, B. and Ozdemir, H. (2011), "Experimental and analytical system identification of eynel arch type steel highway bridge". J. Struct. Steel Res., 67, 1912-1921. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2011.06.008
- Bayraktar, A., Altunisik, A.C., Sevim, B., Turker, T., Akkose, M. and Coskun, N. (2006), "Modal analysis, experimental validation, and calibration of a historical masonary minaret", J. Test. Eval., 36(6), 516-524.
- Bayraktar, A., Altunisik, A.C., Sevim, B. and Turker, T. (2007), "Modal testing and finite element model calibration of an arch type steel footbridge", Steel Compos. Struct., 7(6), 487-502. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2007.7.6.487
- Bayraktar, A., Sevim, B., Altunisik, A.C. and Turker, T. (2009), "Analytical and operational modal analyses of Turkish style reinforced concrete minarets for structural identification", Exper. Techniq., 33(2), 65-75.
- Bayraktar, A.,Turker, T., Altunisik, A.C., Sevim, B., Sahin, A. and Ozcan, D.M. (2010), "Determination of dynamic parameters of buildings by operational modal analysis", IMO Tech. J., 5185-5205.
- Bendat, J.S. and Piersol, A.G. (2004), Random Data: Analysis and Measurement Procedures, John Wiley and Sons, USA.
- Brincker, R., Zhang, L. and Andersen, P. (2000), "Modal identification from ambient responses using frequency domain decomposition", Proceedings of the 18th International Modal Analysis Conference, USA.
- DBYBHY (2007), Turkish Seismic Code, Ministry of Public Works and Settlement. (in Turkish)
- Ewins, D.J. (1984), Modal Testing: Theory and Practice, Research Studies Press Ltd., England.
- FEMA 356 (2000), Pre-standard and commentary for the seismic rehabilitation of buildings, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), Washington.
- Felber, A.J. (1993), "Development of hybrid bridge evaluation system", Ph.D. Thesis, Univ. of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada.
- Gentile, C. and Saisi, A. (2007), "Ambient vibration testing of historic masonry towers for structural identification and damage assessment", Constr. Build. Mater., 21, 1311-1321. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2006.01.007
- Govindan, P., Lakshmipathy, M. and Santhakumar, A.R. (1986). "Ductility of infilled frames", ACI Struct. J., 83 (4), 567-576.
- Gunaydin, M., Adanur, S., Altunisik A.C. and Sevim, B. (2012), "Construction Stage analysis of Fatih Sultan Mehmet Suspension Bridge", Struct. Eng. Mech., 42, 489-505. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2012.42.4.489
- Juang, J.N. (1994), Applied System Identification, Prentice-Hall Inc., Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA.
- Klingner, R.E. and Bertero, V.V. (1978), "Earthquake resistance of infilled frames", ASCE J.Struct. Eng., 104, 973-989.
- Law, S.S., Li, X.Y. and Lu, Z.R. (2006), "Structural damage detection from wavelet coefficient sensitivity with model errors", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 132, 1077-1087. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2006)132:10(1077)
- Maharani, A.B., Shing, P.B., Schuller, M.P. and Noland, J.L. (1996), "Hysteretic response of reinforced concrete infilled frames", ASCE J. Struct. Eng., 122(3), 228-237. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1996)122:3(228)
- Maia, N.M.M. and Silva, J.M.M. (1997). Theoretical and Experimental Modal Analysis, Research Studies Press Ltd., England.
- Morin, P.B., Leger, P. and Tinawi, R. (2002), "Seismic behavior of post-tensioned gravity dams: shake table experiments and numerical simulations", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 128, 140-252. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2002)128:2(140)
- OMA (2006), Operational Modal Analysis, Release 4.0. Structural Vibration Solution A/S, Denmark.
- Ozsayin, B., Yilmaz, E., Ispir, M., Ozkaynak, H., Yuksel, E. and Ilki, A. (2011), "Characteristics of CFRP retrofitted hollow brick infill walls of reinforced concrete frames", Constr. Build. Mater., 25, 4017-4024. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2011.04.036
- Peeters, B. (2000), "System identification and damage detection in civil engineering", Ph.D. Thesis, Katholieke Universiteit, Leuven, Belgium.
- Ren, W.X., Zhao, T. and Harik, I.E. (2004), "Experimental and analytical modal analysis of steel arch bridge", J. Struct. Eng.-ASCE, 130, 1022-1031. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:7(1022)
- Reynolds, P., Pavic, A. and Prichard, S. (2002), "Dynamic analysis and testing of a high performance floor structure", International Conference on Structural Dynamic Modeling-Test, Analysis, Correlation and Validation, Madeira Island, Portugal.
- Sahoo, D.R. and Rai, D.C. (2010), "Seismic strengthening of non-ductile reinforced concrete frames using aluminum shear links as energy-dissipation devices", Eng. Struct., 32, 3548-3557. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.07.023
- Sasaki, T., Kanenawa, K. and Yamaguchi, Y. (2004), "Simple estimating method of damages of concrete gravity dam based on linear dynamic analysis", 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, B.C., Canada.
- Sevim, B., Bayraktar, A. and Altunisik, A.C. (2010), "Investigation of water length effects on the modal behavior of a prototype arch dam using operational and analytical modal analyses", Struct. Eng. Mech., 37(6), 1-23.
- Wang, H. and Li, D. (2007), "Experimental study of dynamic damage of an arch dam," Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 36, 347-366. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.637
- Zhou, J., Lin, G., Zhu, T., Jefferson, A.D. and Williams, F.W. (2000), "Experimental investigation of seismic failure of high arch dams", Struct. Eng., 126(8), 926-935. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:8(926)
- Zivanovic, S., Pavic, A. and Reynolds, P. (2006), "Modal testing and FE model tuning of a lively footbridge structure", Eng. Struct., 28, 857-868. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.10.012
- Selection of measurement sets in static structural identification of bridges using observability trees vol.15, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2015.15.5.771
- Theoretical and experimental dynamic characteristics of a RC building model for construction stages vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2016.17.4.455