- Volume 38 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Case Report : TMJ Osteoarthritis in a Patient with Renal Osteodystrophy
턱관절의 골관절염을 동반한 신성골이영양증 환자 증례보고
- Lee, Gi-Ho (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Dankook University)
- 이기호 (단국대학교 치과대학 구강내과학교실)
- Received : 2013.06.22
- Accepted : 2013.08.26
- Published : 2013.09.30
Renal osteodystrophy(RO) is characterized by skeletal changes in patients with renal disease and developed as a result of alterations in the metabolism of calcium, phosphate and secondary hyperparathyroidism. Bony changes in the craniofacial region include decreased bone density, radiolucent lesions(brown tumors), depletion of cortical bone and loss of lamina dura, but such changes rarely occur in the temporomandibular joint(TMJ). We report an uncommon case of bony changes and pain of both TMJs in a patient with RO. A 41-year-old man with RO came to our clinic due to TMJ pain and sounds. Occlusal change was also reported. Radiographs revealed degenerative changes of the both condyles. The patient had medical history of renal cancer therapy and hemodialysis. The patient was diagnosed with TMJ arthritis of RO and referred for systemic management through medication of calcium and vitamin D and parathyroidectomy. At 15-month follow-up, most of TMD symptoms disappeared and second radiographs revealed that bone density and cortical thickness of the mandible increased and the skeletal outline of the both condyles became relatively clear. As bony changes may begin in the early stage of the renal disease, dentists should be alert to detect the sign of the disease. In addition, it is important to differentiate TMJ arthritis of systemic cause because the treatment protocol is quite different.
- Fishman MC. Medicine. 4th ed. Philadelphia, 1996, Lippincott. Raven Publishers; pp 187-196.
- Syrjanen S, Lampainen E. Mandibular changes in panoramic radiographs of patients with end stage renal disease. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 1983;12:51-56. https://doi.org/10.1259/dmfr.1983.0010
- Kanis J.A., Cundy T.F., Hamdy N.A.T. Renal osteodystrophy. Bailliere's Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 1988;2:193-241. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-351X(88)80013-2
- John E.Z., Caner, John L. Decker. Recurrent acute (? Gouty) arthritis in chronic renal failure treated with periodic hemodialysis. Am J Med 1964;36:571-582. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9343(64)90105-6
- Koch Nogueira PC, David L, Cochat P. Evolution ofsecondary hyperparathyroidism after renal transplantation. Pediatr Nephrol 2000;14:342-346. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004670050772
- Drueke TB. The pathogenesis of parathyroid gland hyperplasia in chronic renal failure. Kidney Int 1995;48:259-272. https://doi.org/10.1038/ki.1995.292
- Spolnik KJ, Maxwell DR, Patterson SS, Kleit SA, Cockerill EM, Dental radiographic manifestations of end-stage renal disease. Dent Radiogr 1981;54:21-31.
- Eastwood JB. Renal osteodystrophy: a radiological review. CRC Crit Rev Diagn Imaging 1977;9:77-104.
- A.J. Sidebottom, R. Salha. Management of the temporomandibular joint in rheumatoid disorders. Br J oral Maxillofac Surg 2013;51:191-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjoms.2012.04.271
- Silverman S, Gordan G, Grant T, et al. The dental structures in primary hyperparathyroidism: studies in 42 consecutive dentulous patients. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1962;15:426-436. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-4220(62)90375-4
- John R, Timothy L. : Oral manifestations of renal osteodystrophy : case report and review of the literature. Spec Care Dentist 2003;23:28-34. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1754-4505.2003.tb00286.x
- Johnson, C., Benjamin Graham, C., Kingsbury Curtis, F. Roentgenographic manifestations of chronic renal disease treated by periodic haemodialysis. American Journal of Roentgenology 1967;101:915-926. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.101.4.915
- L Lamazza, F Guerra, M Pezza, AM Messina, A Galluccio, M Spink, A De Biase. The use of etanercept as a non-surgical treatment for temporomandibular joint psoriatric arthritis: a case report. Australian Dental Journal 2009;54:161-165. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1834-7819.2009.01110.x
- Roland Jonsson, Ann-Marie Lindvall, Gudrun Nyberg. Temporomandibular joint involvement in systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis and Rheumatism 1983;26:1506-1510. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.1780261213
- Ferit Tovi, Albert Gatot, Dan Fliss. Temporomandibular arthritis in familial mediterranean fever. HEAD & NECK 1992;14:492-495. https://doi.org/10.1002/hed.2880140613
- Zsuzsanna Suba, Daniel Takacs, Szabolcs Gyulai Gaal et al. Tophaceous gout of the temporomandibular joint: A report of 2 cases, J Oral Maxilofac Surg 2009;67:1526-1530. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2008.12.019
- Vivino FB, Katz WA. Sjogren's syndrome: clinical picture and diagnostic tests. J Musc Med 1995;12: 40-52.
- Dick R., Jones D. N. Temporomandibular joint changes in patients undergoingchronic haemodialysis. Clin Radiol 1973;24:72-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-9260(73)80120-5
- Al-Hashimi I, Khuder S, Haghighat N, Zipp M. Frequency and predictive value of the clinical manifestations in Sjogren's syndrome. J Oral Pathol Med 2001;30:1-6. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0714.2001.300101.x
- Lighterman, L. Renal osteodystrophy with oral manifestations. J Oral Surg 1952;10:233.
- Alvin Sellers, Alan C. Winfield, Shaul G. Massry. Resorption of condyloid process of mandible. An unusual manifestation of renal osteodystrophy. Arch Intern Med 1973;131:727-728. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.1973.00320110111017
- Hartmut H. Malluche, Hanna Mawad, Marie-Claude Monier-Faugere. Effects of treatment of renal oseodystrophy on bone histology. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2008;3:S157-S163. https://doi.org/10.2215/CJN.02500607