- Volume 14 Issue 6
In recent years there has been increasing international interest about designing structures that cost less to repair after they have been subjected to strong earthquakes. Considering this interest, an innovative repairable fuse device has been developed for dissipative beam-to-column connections in moment-resisting composite steel and concrete frames. The seismic performance of the device was assessed through an extensive experimental program comprising ten cyclic and two monotonic tests. These tests were conducted on a single beam-to-column specimen with different fuse devices for each test. The devices varied in terms of the chosen geometric and mechanical parameters. The tests showed that the devices were able to concentrate plasticity and to dissipate large amounts of energy through non-linear behavior. Numerical models were developed with Abaqus and simplified design models are also proposed.
welded fuse device;reparability;cyclic tests;hysteretic behavior;plate buckling;energy dissipation;numerical models;design models
- Adany, S., Calado, L. and Dunai, L. (2001), "Experimental study on the cyclic behaviour of bolted end-plate joints", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 1(1), 33-50. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2001.1.1.033
- Agatino, M.R. (1995), "Criteri di collasso e modelli di danneggiamento per dettagli strutturale in acciaio soggetti a carichi ciclici", MSc Thesis, Politecnico di Milano. (in Italian)
- Bruneau, M., El-Bahey, S., Fujikura, S. and Keller, D. (2010), "Structural fuses and concrete-filled steel shapes for seismic- and multi-hazard resistant design", Proceedings of the 2010 NZSEE Annual Technical Conference, Wellington, New Zealand, March.
- Calado, L. and Castiglioni, C.A. (1996), "Steel beam-to-column connections under low-cycle fatigue: Experimental and numerical research", Proceedings of 11th WCEE, Acapulco, Mexico, August.
- Castiglioni, C.A. and Pucinotti, R. (2009), "Failure criteria and cumulative damage models for steel components under cyclic loading", J. Constr. Steel Res., 65(4), 751-765. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2008.12.007
- Castiglioni, C.A., Kanyilmaz, A. and Calado, L. (2012), "Experimental analysis of seismic resistant composite steel frames with dissipative devices", J. Constr. Steel Res., 76(1), 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2012.03.027
- Chan, R.W.K., Albermani, F. and Williams, M.S. (2009), "Evaluation of yielding shear panel device for passive energy dissipation", J. Constr. Steel Res., 65(2), 260-268 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2008.03.017
- Dubina, D., Ciutina, A.L. and Stratan, A. (2002), "Cyclic tests on bolted steel double-sided beam-to-column joints", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 2(2), 147-160. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2002.2.2.147
- European Convention for Constructional Steelwork (ECCS) Technical Committee 13 (1986), Recommended testing procedures for assessing the behaviour of structural steel elements under cyclic loads, No. 45.
- Comite Europeen de Normalisation (CEN) EN 1993-1-1 (2004), Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures - Part 1-1: General rules and rules for buildings, Brussels, Belgium.
- Comite Europeen de Normalisation (CEN) EN 1993-1-5 (2004), Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures - Part 1-5: Plated structural elements, Brussels, Belgium.
- Comite Europeen de Normalisation (CEN) EN 1993-1-8 (2004), Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures - Part 1-8: Design of joints, Brussels, Belgium.
- Comite Europeen de Normalisation (CEN) EN 1998-1 (2004), Eurocode 8: Design of structures for earthquake resistance - Part 1: General rules, seismic actions and rules for buildings, Brussels, Belgium.
- Engelhardt, M.D. and Sabol, T. (1997), "Seismic-resistant steel moment connections: Developments since the 1994 Northridge earthquake", Prog. Struct. Eng. Mat., 1(1), 68-77. https://doi.org/10.1002/pse.2260010112
- Espinha, M. (2011), "Hysteretic behaviour of dissipative welded devices for earthquake resistant steel frames", MSc Thesis, Instituto Superior Tecnico, Technical University of Lisbon.
- Gomes, A. and Appleton, J. (1997), "Nonlinear cyclic stress-strain relationship of reinforcing bars including buckling", Eng. Struct., 19(10), 822-826. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(97)00166-1
- Hsu, H.-L., Juang, J.-L. and Chou, C.-H. (2011), "Experimental evaluation on the seismic performance of steel knee braced frame structures with energy dissipation mechanism", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 11(1), 77-91. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2011.11.1.077
- Hu, Y., Davison, B., Burgess, I. and Plank, R. (2009), "Component modelling of flexible end-plate connections in fire", Int. J. Steel Struct., 9(1), 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03249475
- Koetaka, Y., Chusilp, P., Zhang, Z., Ando, M., Suita, K., Inoue, K. and Uno, N. (2005), "Mechanical property of beam-to-column moment connection with hysteretic dampers for column weak axis", Eng. Struct., 27(1), 109-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.09.002
- Krawinkler, H. (2009), "Loading histories for cyclic tests in support of performance assessment of structural components", Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Advances in Experimental Structural Engineering, San Francisco, US, October.
- Li, H.-N. and Li, G. (2007), "Experimental study of structure with "dual function" metallic dampers", Eng. Struct., 29(8), 1917-1928. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.10.007
- Mazza, I. and Pedrazzoli, F. (2008), "Numerical modeling for innovative type of seismic moment resistant frames with dissipative, easy replaceable, joints", MSc Thesis, Politecnico di Milano.
- Mazzolani, F.M. (2000), Moment Resistant Connections of Steel Frames in Seismic Areas: Design and Reliability, E & FN Spon, London-New York.
- Mele, E., Calado, L. and De Luca, A. (2001), "Cyclic behaviour of beam-to-column welded connections", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 1(3), 323-330. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2001.1.3.269
- Oh, S.-H., Kim, Y.-J. and Ryu, H.-S. (2009), "Seismic performance of steel structures with slit dampers", Eng. Struct., 31(9), 1997-2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.03.003
- Pachoumis, D.T., Galoussis, E.G., Kalfas, C.N. and Efthimiou, I.Z. (2010), "Cyclic performance of steel moment-resisting connections with reduced beam sections - experimental analysis and finite element model simulation", Eng. Struct., 32(9), 2683-2692. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.04.038
- Plumier, A. (1990), "New design for safe structures in seismic zones", Proceedings of the IABSE Symposium on Mixed Structures Including New Materials, Brussels, Belgium, 431-436.
- Plumier, A., Doneux, C., Castiglioni, C., Brescianini, J., Crespi, A., Dell'Anna, S., Lazzarotto, L., Calado, L., Ferreira, J., Feligioni, S., Bursi, O., Ferrario, F., Sommavilla, M., Vayas, I., Thanopoulos, P. and Demarco, T. (2004), Two Innovations for Earthquake Resistant Design - The INERD Project, Final report of research program CECA-7210-PR-316, Publication Nr 22044, Office des Publications des Communautes Europeennes, Luxembourg Research Fund for Coal and Steel (RFCS).
- Yu, Q.-S. K. and Uang, C.-M., (2001), "Effects of near fault loading and lateral bracing on the behavior of RBS moment connections", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 1(1), 145-158. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2001.1.1.145
- 1. Numerical investigations of repairable dissipative bolted fuses for earthquake resistant composite steel frames vol.131, 2017, doi:10.12989/scs.2013.14.6.547
- 2. Dissipative devices for earthquake resistant composite steel structures: bolted versus welded solution vol.14, pp.12, 2016, doi:10.12989/scs.2013.14.6.547
- 3. I.11.00: Innovative systems for seismic resistance: The INNOSEIS Project vol.1, pp.2-3, 2017, doi:10.12989/scs.2013.14.6.547
- 4. Energy dissipation of steel-polymer composite beam-column connector vol.18, pp.5, 2015, doi:10.12989/scs.2013.14.6.547
- 5. Welded fuses for dissipative beam-to-column connections of composite steel frames: Numerical analyses vol.128, 2017, doi:10.12989/scs.2013.14.6.547
- 6. Research on anti-seismic property of new end plate bolt connections - Wave web girder-column joint vol.22, pp.1, 2016, doi:10.12989/scs.2013.14.6.547
- 7. Energy-factor-based damage-control evaluation of steel MRF systems with fuses vol.22, pp.3, 2016, doi:10.12989/scs.2013.14.6.547