- Volume 14 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Performance of cyclic loading for structural insulated panels in wall application
- Nah, Hwan-Seon (Smart Energy Lab., Korea Electric Power Corporation Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Hyeon-Ju (Smart Energy Lab., Korea Electric Power Corporation Research Institute) ;
- Choi, Sung-Mo (Architectural Engineering Department, University of Seoul)
- Received : 2013.01.15
- Accepted : 2013.05.24
- Published : 2013.06.25
There are few technical documents regulated structural performance and engineering criteria in domestic market for Structural insulated panels in Korea. This paper was focused to identify fundamental performance under monotonic loading and cyclic loading for SIPs in shear wall application. Load-displacement responses of total twelve test specimens were recorded based on shear stiffness, strength, ultimate load and displacement. Finally energy dissipation of each specimen was analyzed respectively. Monotonic test results showed that ultimate load was 44.3 kN, allowable shear load was 6.1 kN/m, shear stiffness was 1.2 MN/m, and ductility ratio was 3.6. Cyclic test was conducted by two kinds of specimens: single panel and double panels. Cyclic loading results, which were equivalent to monotonic loading results, showed that ultimate load was 45.4 kN, allowable shear load was 6.3 kN/m. Furthermore the accumulated energy dissipation capability for double panels was as 2.3 times as that for single panel. Based on results of structural performance test, it was recommended that the allowable shear load for panels should be 6.1 kN/m at least.
- ANSI/APA PRS-610.1 Draft 4 (2008), Standard for Performance-Rated Structural Insulated Panels in Wall Applications, APA-The Engineered Wood Association, Tacoma, Washington, USA.
- Ayoub, A. (2007), "Seismic analysis of wood building structures", Eng. Struc., 29(2), 213-223. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.04.011
- Borjen, Y., Thomas, W. and Edward, L.K. (2008), "Development of structural insulated panel standards", ASCE Structures Congress 2008, Vancouver, Canada, April.
- Durham, J., Lam, F. and Prion, H.G.L. (2001), "Seismic resistance of wood shear walls with large OSB panels", J. Struc. Eng. ASCE, 127(12), 1460-1466. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2001)127:12(1460)
- Edward, L.K. (2006), Standardization testing of structural insulated panels for the structural insulated panel association, APA Report T2006P-33, APA-The Engineered Wood Association, Tacoma, WA, USA.
- Filiatrault, A., Uang, C.M. and Seible, F. (2000), "Ongoing seismic testing and analysis program in the CUREE-Caltech woodframe project in California", ASCE Structures Congress 2000, Philadelphia, CA, USA, May.
- Folz, B. and Filiatrault, A. (2001), "Cyclic analysis of wood shear walls", J. Struct. Eng., 127(4), 433-441. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2001)127:4(433)
- Goodall, S.I. and Gupta, R. (2011), "Improving the performance of gypsum wallboard in wood frame shear walls", J. Perform. Constr. Facil., 25(4), 187-298.
- He, M., Magnusson, H., Lam, F. and Prion, H.G.L. (1999), "Cyclic performance of perforated wood shear walls with oversize OSB panels", J. Struc. Eng. ASCE. 125(1), 10-18. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1999)125:1(10)
- Krawinkler, H., Parisi, F., Ibarra, L., Ayoub, A. and Medina, R. (2000), Development of a Testing Protocol for Woodframe Structures, CUREE Publication, No. W-02, Richmond, CA, USA.
- Mi, H., Ni, C., Chui, Y.-H. and Karacabeyli, E.(2006), "Racking performance of tall unblocked shear walls" , J. Struc. Eng., 132(1), 145-152. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2006)132:1(145)
- Mosalam, K.M., Hagerman, J. and Kelly, H. (2008), "Seismic Evaluation of Structural Insulated Panels", 5th International Engineering and Construction Conference, Irvine, CA, USA, August.
- Nah, H.-S., Lee, H-J., Lee, C.-H., Hwang, S.-W., Cho, H.-J. and Choi, S.-M. (2012), "Evaluation on structural performance of structural insulated panels in wall application", Korean Soc. Adv. Compos. Struct., 3(2), 19-27. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.11004/kosacs.2012.3.2.019
- Lam, F., Prion, H.G.L. and He, M. (1997), "Lateral resistance of wood shear walls with large sheathing panels", J. Struc. Eng. ASCE, 123(12), 1666-1673. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1997)123:12(1666)
- Pardoen, G.C., Kazanjy, R.P., Freund, E., Hamilton, C.H., Larsen, D. and Shah, N. (2000), "Results from the city of Los Angeles-UC Irvine shear wall test program", Proceedings of the World Conference on Timber Engineering, Whistler, Canada, August.
- Sinha, A. and Gupta, R. (2009), "Strain distribution in OSB and GWB in wood frame shear walls", J. Struct. Eng., 135(6), 666-675. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2009)135:6(666)
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (2007), Prescriptive Method for Structural Insulated Panels Used in Wall Systems in Residential Construction, Office of Policy Development and Research, Washington D.C., MA, USA.
- Structural Characterization of Structural Insulated Panels(SIP) under Racking Load vol.9, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11004/kosacs.2018.9.4.040
- Structural Characterization of Structural Insulated Panels(SIP) under Eccentric Axial Loading vol.9, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11004/kosacs.2018.9.4.049