- Volume 53 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Sequential hepatic ultrastructural changes and apoptosis in rabbits experimentally infected with Korean strain of rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus (RHDVa)
국내 분리 토끼출혈병 바이러스(RHDVa)를 감염시킨 토끼 간장에서의 경시적인 초미세구조 변화와 apoptosis
- Park, Jung-Won (Animal, Plant and Fisheries Quarantine and Inspection Agency) ;
- Chun, Ji-Eun (Animal, Plant and Fisheries Quarantine and Inspection Agency) ;
- Bak, Eun-Jung (Oral Cancer Research Institute, College of Dentistry, Yonsei University) ;
- Kim, Han (Animal, Plant and Fisheries Quarantine and Inspection Agency) ;
- Lee, Myeong-Heon (Animal, Plant and Fisheries Quarantine and Inspection Agency) ;
- Hwang, Eui-Kyung (Department of Animal Science, College of Life Science and Natural Resources, Sangji University) ;
- Kim, Jae-Hoon (College of Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Medical Research Institute, Jeju National University) ;
- Lee, Chung-Bok (College of Veterinary Medicine, Konkuk University) ;
- Woo, Gye-Hyeong (Department of Clinical Laboratory Science, Semyung University)
- 박중원 (농림수산검역검사본부) ;
- 전지은 (농림수산검역검사본부) ;
- 박은정 (연세대학교 치과대학) ;
- 김한 (농림수산검역검사본부) ;
- 이명헌 (농림수산검역검사본부) ;
- 황의경 (상지대학교 동물자원학과) ;
- 김재훈 (제주대학교 수의과대학) ;
- 이중복 (건국대학교 수의과대학) ;
- 우계형 (세명대학교 임상병리학과)
- Received : 2012.08.28
- Accepted : 2012.12.11
- Published : 2013.03.31
In this study, to understand the pathogenesis of new rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus (RHDVa) serotype, we carried out to administrate RHDVa to rabbits, and to examine sequential electron microscopic changes and relationship between pathogenesis and apoptosis. TUNEL-positive cells began to be observed from 24 hours after inoculation (HAI) and the number of positive cells was slightly increased with the course of time. Whereas marked increase of positive cells was seen in the liver from the rabbits died acutely. Typical viral particles with cup-like projections and a diameter of 30~40 nm were detected in homogenized liver samples and tissues at 36 and 48, and 48 HAI, respectively. Ultrastructurally, glycogen deposition was observed from the first stage of hepatocellular degeneration by RHDVa infection and then, swelling and disruption of cristae of mitochondria by viral particles, swelling of smooth endoplasmic reticulum, vacuoles and vesicles were detected. Condensation, margination and fragmentation of chromatin were observed in degenerative hepatocytes at 36 and 48 HAI, indicating apoptotic bodies. These data offer that hepatocytic apoptosis by RHDV infection could be closely related with mitochondrial impairment in the hepatocytes.
- Park JW, Chun JE, Yang DK, Bak EJ, Kim H, Lee MH, Hwang EK, Lee CB, Woo GH. Sequential pathologic changes and viral distribution in rabbits experimentally infected with new Korean strain of rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus (RHDVa). Korean J Vet Res 2012, 52, 125-131.
- Park NY. New viral disease of rabbit; hemorrhagic pneumonia. J Korean Vet Med Assoc 1987, 23, 780-788.
- Schirrmeier H, Reimann I, Köllner B, Granzow H. Pathogenic, antigenic and molecular properties of rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus (RHDV) isolated from vaccinated rabbits: detection and characterization of antigenic variants. Arch Virol 1999, 144, 719-735. https://doi.org/10.1007/s007050050538
- Tham KM, Barnes SM, Hunter SN. Polymerase chain reaction amplification and gene sequence analysis of a calicivirus from a feral rabbit. Virus Genes 1999, 18, 235-242. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008020303036
- Thiel HJ, König M. Caliciviruses: an overview. Vet Microbiol 1999, 69, 55-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-1135(99)00088-7
- Tunon MJ, Sanchez-Campos S, Garcia-Ferreras J, Alvarez M, Jorquera F, Gonzalez-Gallego J. Rabbit hemorrhagic viral disease: characterization of a new animal model of fulminant liver failure. J Lab Clin Med 2003, 141, 272-278. https://doi.org/10.1067/mlc.2003.30
- Valicek L, Smid B, Rodak L. Immunoelectron microscopy of rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus using monoclonal antibodies. Acta Virol 1992, 36, 589-591.
- van de Bildt MW, van Bolhuis GH, van Zijderveld F, van Riel D, Drees JM, Osterhaus AD, Kuiken T. Confirmation and phylogenetic analysis of rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus in free-living rabbits from the Netherlands. J Wildl Dis 2006, 42, 808-812. https://doi.org/10.7589/0090-3558-42.4.808
- Yang DK, Kim BH, Lee KW, Kim JY, Kim HJ, Choi SS, Chun JE, Son SW. Identification and molecular characterization of a rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus variant (KV0801) isolated in Korea. Korean J Vet Res 2009, 49, 207-213.
- Alonso C, Oviedo JM, Martín-Alonso JM, Diaz E, Boga JA, Parra F. Programmed cell death in the pathogenesis of rabbit hemorrhagic disease. Arch Virol 1998, 143, 321-332. https://doi.org/10.1007/s007050050289
- Belz K. Rabbit hemorrhagic disease. Semin Avian Exot Pet Med 2004, 13, 100-104. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.saep.2004.01.006
- Bok K, Prikhodko VG, Green KY, Sosnovtsev SV. Apoptosis in murine norovirus-infected RAW264.7 cells is associated with downregulation of survivin. J Virol 2009, 83, 3647-3656. https://doi.org/10.1128/JVI.02028-08
- Capucci L, Fallacara F, Grazioli S, Lavazza A, Pacciarini ML, Brocchi E. A further step in the evolution of rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus: the appearance of the first consistent antigenic variant. Virus Res 1998, 58, 115-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1702(98)00106-3
- Farnos O, Rodriguez D, Valdes O, Chiong M, Parra F, Toledo JR, Fernandez E, Lleonart R, Suarez M. Molecular and antigenic characterization of rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus isolated in Cuba indicates a distinct antigenic subtype. Arch Virol 2007, 152, 1215-1221. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00705-006-0926-5
- Ferreira PG, Costa-E-Silva A, Monteiro E, Oliveira MJ, Aguas AP. Liver enzymes and ultrastructure in rabbit haemorrhagic disease (RHD). Vet Res Commun 2006, 30, 393-401. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11259-006-3297-1
- Jaeschke H, Gores GJ, Cederbaum AI, Hinson JA, Pessayre D, Lemasters JJ. Mechanisms of hepatotoxicity. Toxicol Sci 2002, 65, 166-176. https://doi.org/10.1093/toxsci/65.2.166
- Jung JY, Lee BJ, Tai JH, Park JH, Lee YS. Apoptosis in rabbit haemorrhagic disease. J Comp Pathol 2000, 123, 135-140. https://doi.org/10.1053/jcpa.2000.0403
- Kanno T, Fujita H, Muranaka S, Yano H, Utsumi T, Yoshioka T, Inoue M, Utsumi K. Mitochondrial swelling and cytochrome c release: sensitivity to cyclosporin A and calcium. Physiol Chem Phys Med NMR 2002, 34, 91-102.
- Le Gall-Recule G, Zwingelstein F, Laurent S, de Boisseson C, Portejoie Y, Rasschaert D. Phylogenetic analysis of rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus in France between 1993 and 2000, and the characterisation of RHDV antigenic variants. Arch Virol 2003, 148, 65-81. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00705-002-0908-1
- Matiz K, Ursu K, Kecskemeti S, Bajmócy E, Kiss I. Phylogenetic analysis of rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus (RHDV) strains isolated between 1988 and 2003 in eastern Hungary. Arch Virol 2006, 151, 1659-1666. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00705-006-0730-2
- McIntosh MT, Behan SC, Mohamed FM, Lu Z, Moran KE, Burrage TG, Neilan JG, Ward GB, Botti G, Capucci L, Metwally SA. A pandemic strain of calicivirus threatens rabbit industries in the Americas. Virol J 2007, 4, 96. https://doi.org/10.1186/1743-422X-4-96
- Moss SR, Turner SL, Trout RC, White PJ, Hudson PJ, Desai A, Armesto M, Forrester NL, Gould EA. Molecular epidemiology of rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus. J Gen Virol 2002, 83 (Pt 10), 2461-2467. https://doi.org/10.1099/0022-1317-83-10-2461