- Volume 53 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Changes of characterization of Salmonella Typhimurium isolate following sequential exposures to porcine neutrophil
Salmonella Typhimurium의 돼지 호중구내 연속노출에 따른 특성변화
- Lee, Hee-Soo (Animal, Plant and Fisheries Quarantine and Inspection Agency) ;
- Kim, Aeran (Animal, Plant and Fisheries Quarantine and Inspection Agency) ;
- Youn, Min (Animal, Plant and Fisheries Quarantine and Inspection Agency) ;
- Lee, Ji-Youn (Animal, Plant and Fisheries Quarantine and Inspection Agency) ;
- Lim, Suk-Kyung (Animal, Plant and Fisheries Quarantine and Inspection Agency) ;
- Kang, Ho-Young (Department of Microbiology, College of Natural Sciences, Pusan National University) ;
- Yoo, Han Sang (Department of Infectious Diseases, College of Veterinary Medicine, Seoul National University) ;
- Park, Jung-Won (Animal, Plant and Fisheries Quarantine and Inspection Agency) ;
- Wee, Sung-Hwan (Animal, Plant and Fisheries Quarantine and Inspection Agency) ;
- Jung, Suk-Chan (Animal, Plant and Fisheries Quarantine and Inspection Agency)
- 이희수 (농림수산검역검사본부) ;
- 김애란 (농림수산검역검사본부) ;
- 윤민 (농림수산검역검사본부) ;
- 이지연 (농림수산검역검사본부) ;
- 임숙경 (농림수산검역검사본부) ;
- 강호영 (부산대학교 자연과학대학) ;
- 유한상 (서울대학교 수의과대학) ;
- 박중원 (농림수산검역검사본부) ;
- 위성환 (농림수산검역검사본부) ;
- 정석찬 (농림수산검역검사본부)
- Received : 2012.04.10
- Accepted : 2012.12.27
- Published : 2013.03.31
To develop a live vaccine candidate using an attenuated strain of Salmonella Typhimurium (ST), biochemical properties, plasmid profile, PFGE patterns and pathogenic analysis of the ST isolate were carried out after sequential passage of the ST isolate in porcine neutrophils. By the passage, the ability of the neutrophil-adapted isolate to utilize d-xylose was lost, while the ability of the strain to ferment trehalose was delayed after 2 or more days of the culture. Also, changes including deletion of the gene fragments were observed in PFGE analysis of the neutrophil-adapted isolates. Two plasmids, 105kb and 50kb, were cured in the strain passaged over 15 times in porcine neutrophils. The 50% of lethal dose (
- Reed LJ, Muench H. A simple method of estimating fifty percent endpoints. Am J Hyg 1938, 27, 493-497.
- Roof MB, Doitchinoff DD. Safety, efficacy, and duration of immunity induced in swine by use of an avirulent live Salmonella Choleraesuis-containing vaccine. Am J Vet Res 1995, 56, 39-44.
- Roof MB, Kramer TT. Porcine neutrophil function in the presence of virulent and avirulent Salmonella choleraesuis. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 1989, 23, 365-376. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-2427(89)90148-7
- Roof MB, Kramer TT, Roth JA, Minion FC. Characterization of a Salmonella choleraesuis isolate after repeated neutrophil exposure. Am J Vet Res 1992, 53, 1328-1332.
- Roof MB, Kramer TT, Kunesh JP, Roth JA. In vivo isolation of Salmonella choleraesuis from porcine neutrophils. Am J Vet Res 1992, 53, 1333-1336.
- Rychlik I, Gregorova D, Hradecka H. Distribution and function of plasmids in Salmonella enterica. Vet Microbiol 2006, 112, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetmic.2005.10.030
- Stabel TJ, Fedorka-Cray PJ, Gray JT. Neutrophil phagocytosis following inoculation of Salmonella choleraesuis into swine. Vet Res Commun 2002, 26, 103-109. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1014091517217
- Tang IK, Ji DD, Chou CF, Lin HC, Liao CL, Sytwu HK, Wang JJ, Liu YT. Characterization of a highly attenuated Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium mutant strain. J Microbiol Immunol Infect 2002, 35, 229-235.
- Tukel C, Raffatellu M, Chessa D, Wilson RP, Akcelik M, Bäumler AJ. Neutrophil influx during non-typhoidal salmonellosis: who is in the driver's seat? FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 2006, 46, 320-329. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-695X.2006.00051.x
- Van der Walt ML, Vorster JH, Steyn HC, Greeff AS. Auxotrophic, plasmid-cured Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium for use as a live vaccine in calves. Vet Microbiol 2001, 80, 373-381. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-1135(01)00325-X
- Barrow PA, Lovell MA. Functional homology of virulence plasmids in Salmonella Gallinarum, S. Pullorum, and S. Typhimurium. Infect Immun 1989, 57, 3136-3141.
- Bauer AW, Kirby WM, Sherris JC, Turck M. Antibiotic susceptibility testing by a standardized single disk method. Am J Clin Pathol 1966, 45, 493-496.
- Buchmeier NA, Heffron F. Induction of Salmonella stress proteins upon infection of macrophages. Science 1990, 248, 730-732. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1970672
- Christman MF, Morgan RW, Jacobson FS, Ames BN. Positive control of a regulon for defenses against oxidative stress and some heat-shock proteins in Salmonella typhimurium. Cell 1985, 41, 753-762. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(85)80056-8
- Clarke RC, Gyles CL. Salmonella. In: Gyles CL, Thoen CO (eds.). Pathogenesis of Bacterial Infections in Animals. 2nd ed. pp. 133-153, Iowa State University Press, Ames, 1993.
- García-Quintanilla M, Prieto AI, Barnes L, Ramos- Morales F, Casadesús J. Bile-induced curing of the virulence plasmid in Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium. J Bacteriol 2006, 188, 7963-7965. https://doi.org/10.1128/JB.00995-06
- Garmory HS, Brown KA, Titball RW. Salmonella vaccines for use in humans: present and future perspectives. FEMS Microbiol Rev 2002, 26, 339-353.
- Gulig PA, Curtiss R 3rd. Plasmid-associated virulence of Salmonella typhimurium. Infect Immun 1987, 55, 2891-2901.
- Hackett J, Kotlarski I, Mathan V, Francki K, Rowley D. The colonization of Peyer's patches by a strain of Salmonella typhimurium cured of the cryptic plasmid. J Infect Dis 1986, 153, 1119-1125. https://doi.org/10.1093/infdis/153.6.1119
- Jones GW, Rabert DK, Svinarich DM, Whitfield HJ. Association of adhesive, invasive, and virulent phenotypes of Salmonella typhimurium with autonomous 60-megadalton plasmids. Infect Immun 1982, 38, 476-486.
- Kado CI, Liu ST. Rapid procedure for detection and isolation of large and small plasmids. J Bacteriol 1981, 145, 1365-1373.
- Kramer TT, Roof MB, Matheson RR. Safety and efficacy of an attenuated strain of Salmonella choleraesuis for vaccination of swine. Am J Vet Res 1992, 53, 444-448.
- Lee HS, Kim SJ, Kim KS, Mo IP, Woo YK, Kwon YK, Kim TJ. Immunogenicity of outer membrane protein extracted from Salmonella gallinarum in chickens. Korean J Vet Res 1997, 37, 555-568.
- Lee HS, Lim SK, Cho YS, Joo YS, Kim JH, Kim JM. Protective effects of mix-crude outer membrane protein Salmonella vaccine against salmonellosis in chickens and pigs. Korean J Vet Res 2007, 47, 147-155.
- Miller SI, Mekalanos JJ. Constitutive expression of the PhoP regulon attenuates Salmonella virulence and survival within macrophages. J Bacteriol 1990, 172, 2485-2490. https://doi.org/10.1128/jb.172.5.2485-2490.1990