- Volume 53 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Animal poisoning in Korea in 1974-June 2013
한국 동물의 중독성 질병 발생상황 (1974년~2013년 6월)
- Lee, Hyunkyoung (Animal Disease Diagnostic Division, Animal and Plant Quarantine Agency) ;
- Bae, You-Chan (Animal Disease Diagnostic Division, Animal and Plant Quarantine Agency) ;
- Lee, Boram (Animal Disease Diagnostic Division, Animal and Plant Quarantine Agency) ;
- Lee, Kyunghyun (Animal Disease Diagnostic Division, Animal and Plant Quarantine Agency) ;
- Baek, Kanghyun (Animal Disease Diagnostic Division, Animal and Plant Quarantine Agency) ;
- Lee, Myoung-Heon (Animal Disease Diagnostic Division, Animal and Plant Quarantine Agency)
- 이현경 (농림축산검역본부 질병진단과) ;
- 배유찬 (농림축산검역본부 질병진단과) ;
- 이보람 (농림축산검역본부 질병진단과) ;
- 이경현 (농림축산검역본부 질병진단과) ;
- 백강현 (농림축산검역본부 질병진단과) ;
- 이명헌 (농림축산검역본부 질병진단과)
- Received : 2013.08.05
- Accepted : 2013.08.26
- Published : 2013.09.30
Animal poisoning has been occurred in Korea. However, the lack of the data about animal poisoning in Korea makes clinicians and diagnostician difficult to obtain information on poisoning cases. In this paper, we tried to gather information about animal poisoning from 1974 to June 2013 in Korea. Animal and Plant Quarantine Agency (QIA) record database were used to examine recent trends in animal poisoning. The analysis showed that the cattle was reported to be the most common species involved in animal poisoning and botulinum toxin constituted the primary group of toxicants. Animal poisoning occurred frequently on January and in Gyenggi-do. Although the data present in this manuscript is a little, it will be helpful to understand the general trend of animal poisoning in Korea.
- Berny P, Caloni F, Croubels S, Sachana M, Vandenbroucke V, Davanzo F, Guitart R. Animal poisoning in Europe. Part 2: Companion animals. Vet J 2010, 183, 255-259. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tvjl.2009.03.034
- van der Burgt GM, Mitchell ES, Otter A, Whitaker KA, Hogg R. Seven outbreaks of suspected botulism in sheep in the UK. Vet Rec 2007, 161, 28-30. https://doi.org/10.1136/vr.161.1.28
- Caloni F, Cortinovis C, Rivolta M, Davanzo F. Animal poisoning in Italy: 10 years of epidemiological data from the Poison Control Centre of Milan. Vet Rec 2012, 170, 415-419. https://doi.org/10.1136/vr.100210
- Forrester MB, Stanley SK. Patterns of animal poisonings reported to the Texas Poison Center Network: 1998-2002. Vet Hum Toxicol 2004, 46, 96-99.
- Galey FD. Disorder caused by toxicants. In: Smith BP (ed.). Large Animal Internal Medicine: Diseases of Horses, Cattle, Sheep, and Goats. 2nd ed. pp.1974-1991, Mosby, St. Louis, 1996.
- Guitart R, Croubels S, Caloni F, Sachana M, Davanzo F, Vandenbroucke V, Berny P. Animal poisoning in Europe. Part 1: Farm livestock and poultry. Vet J 2010, 183, 249-254. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tvjl.2009.03.002
- Gupta RC. Veterinary Toxicology. 2nd ed. pp. 80-97, Academic Press, San Diego, 2012.
- Humphreys DJ. Veterinary Toxicology. 3rd ed. pp. 10-13, Bailliere Tindall, London, 1988.
- Jang JH, Bong YH, Kim DG, Kim MK, Chung GS, Son SW. Analysis of residual pesticides in dead wild birds and other animals during 2008-200 in Korea. Korean J Vet Sci 2010, 50, 197-203.
- Johnson AL, McAdams SC, Whitlock RH. Type A botulism in horses in the United States: a review of the past ten years (1998-2008). J Vet Diagn Invest 2010, 22, 165-173. https://doi.org/10.1177/104063871002200201
- Kim MK, Yun SJ, Kim DG, Bong YH, Kim H, Jang JH, Chung GS. Determination of pesticides in dead wild birds in Korea. Korean J Vet Sci 2008, 48, 131-137.
- McLean MK, Hansen SR. An overview of trends in animal poisoning cases in the United States: 2002-2010. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2012, 42, 219-228. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cvsm.2011.12.009
- Payne JH, Hogg RA, Otter A, Roest HI, Livesey CT. Emergence of suspected type D botulism in ruminants in England and Wales (2001 to 2009), associated with exposure to broiler litter. Vet Rec 2011, 168, 640-643. https://doi.org/10.1136/vr.d1846
- Raymundo DL, Von Hohendorf R, Boabaid FM, Both MC, Sonne L, Assis RA, Caldas RP, Driemeier D. Outbreak of type C botulism in captive wild birds. J Zoo Wildl Med 2012, 43, 388-390. https://doi.org/10.1638/2010-0084.1
- Sharpe RT, Livesey CT. Surveillance of suspect animal toxicoses with potential food safety implications in England and Wales between 1990 and 2002. Vet Rec 2005, 157, 465-469. https://doi.org/10.1136/vr.157.16.465
- Shin NR, Byun SH, Chun JH, Shin JH, Kim YJ, Kim JH, Rhie G, Chung HM, Mo IP, Yoo CK. An outbreak of type C botulism in waterbirds: Incheon, Korea. J Wildl Dis 2010, 46, 912-917. https://doi.org/10.7589/0090-3558-46.3.912
- Wang Y, Kruzik P, Helsberg A, Helsberg I, Rausch WD. Pesticide poisoning in domestic animals and livestock in Austria: a 6 years retrospective study. Forensic Sci Int 2007, 169, 157-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2006.08.008
- Woo GH, Kim HY, Bae YC, Jean YH, Yoon SS, Bak EJ, Hwang EK, Joo YS. Outbreak of botulism (Clostridium botulinum type C) in wild waterfowl: Seoul, Korea. J Wildl Dis 2010, 46, 951-955. https://doi.org/10.7589/0090-3558-46.3.951
- 이명헌. 최근 발생한 소 집단폐사 사례분석 및 시사점: 위생적인 사료급여와 올바른 사망관리는 필수. 대한수의사회지 2013, 49, 139-141.
- 이창업. 수의독성학. pp.7-12, 서울대학교출판부, 서울, 1993.