- Volume 14 Issue 3
Traffic Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) is designed to enhance safety in aircraft operations, by reducing the incidences of mid-air collision between aircraft. The current version of TCAS provides only vertical resolution advisory to the pilots, if an aircraft's collision with another is predicted to be imminent, while efforts to include horizontal resolution advisory have been made, as well. This paper introduces a collision resolution algorithm, which includes both vertical and horizontal avoidance maneuvers of aircraft. Also, the paper compares between the performance of the proposed algorithm and that of algorithms with only vertical or horizontal avoidance maneuver of aircraft.
Traffic Collision Avoidance System (TCAS);Traffic Advisory (TA);Resolution Advisory (RA);Conflict Detection and Resolution (CD&R);Closest Point of Approach (CPA);Vertical Resolution;Horizontal Resolution;3-Dimensional Resolution
- Federal Aviation Administration, Accident and Incident Data. URL : http://www.faa.gov
- Integrated Work Plan for the Next Generation Air Transportation System, Version FY13, Joint Planning and Development Office.
- Prandini, M., Hu, J., Lygeros, J., and Sastry, S., "A Probabilistic Approach to Aircraft Conflict Detection," IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol. 1, No. 4, 2000, pp. 199-220. https://doi.org/10.1109/6979.898224
- Hwang, I., Hwang, J., and Tomlin, C., "Flight-Mode-Based Aircraft Conflict Detection using a Residual-Mean Interacting Multiple Model Algorithm," AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, Austin, TX, 2003.
- Trapani, A., Erzberger, H., and Dunbar, W., "Performance Analysis of a Horizontal Separation Assurance Algorithm for Short-Range Conflict Detection and Resolution," AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, Chicago, Illinois, 2009.
- Ford, R. L., "The Conflict Resolution Process for TCAS II and Some Simulation Results," The Journal of Navigation, Vol. 40, Issue. 03, 2009, pp. 283-303.
- Bilimoria, K. D., Lee, H. Q., Mao, Z., and Feron, E., "Comparison of Centralized and Decentralized Conflict Resolution Strategies for Multiple-aircraft Problems," AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, Denver, CO, 2000.
- Kuchar, J. K., Yang, L. C., "A Review of Conflict Detection and Resolution Modeling Methods," IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol. 1, No. 4, 2000, pp. 179-189. https://doi.org/10.1109/6979.898217
- Kuchar, J. K., and Drumm, A. C., "The Traffic Alert and Collision Avoidance System," Lincoln Laboratory Journal, Vol. 16, No. 2, 2007, pp.277-296.
- Jun, B. K, Performance Improvement of the Collision Avoidance Algorithm for TCAS-II System with Safety Critical Software, Master Thesis, Korea Aerospace University, 2011.
- Paielli, R., and Erzberger, H., "Conflict Probability Estimation for Free Flight," Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 20, No. 3, 1997, pp. 588-596. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.4081
- CPA Calculation Method based on AIS Position Prediction vol.69, pp.06, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2013.14.3.272