- Volume 29 Issue 2
An attempt was made on pulp production from the fast growing plant, Acacia hybrid to determine the total yield, screened yield, Kappa number, and fibre morphology of organosolv Acacia hybrid pulp. Uniform-sized chips were taken to undergo pulping in a digester with five different concentrations of ethanol, 50%, 60%, 70%, 80% and 90% (v/v) with 1 M of sodium hydroxide as catalyst. All chips were digested in a temperature-controlled digester with constant amount of water added and temperature of
organosolv pulping;ethanol;sodium hydroxide;Acacia hybrid;pulp yield
- Akgul M, Kirci H. 2009. An environmentally friendly organosolv (ethanol-water) Pulping of Poplar Wood. JEBIDP 30: 735-740.
- ASTM D 2395-07. 1997. Standard Test Methods for Specific Gravity of wood and Wood-Based Materials.
- Ates S, YH Ni, M Akgul, Tozluoglu. 2008. Characterization and evaluation of Paulownia elongata as a raw material for paper production. Afr J Biotechnol 7: 4153-4158.
- Bowyer JL, Shmulsky R, Haygreen JG. 2003. Forest Products and Wood Science: An Introduction. Blackwell Publishing.
- Copur Y, Makkonen H, Amidon TE. 2005. The prediction of pulp yield using selected fibre properties. Holzforchung 59: 477-480.
- Florence AS. 2009. Government needs to provide more incentives for more paper mills. The STAR, 16 January.
- Haygreen JG, Bowyer JL. 1996. Forest Products and Wood Science: An Introduction. Third edition. Iowa University Press, Ames.
- ISO 3130. 1975. Wood Determination of moisture content for physical and mechanical tests.
- Muurinen E. 2000. Organosolv Pulping- A Revie and Distillation Study Related to Peroxyacid Pulping. OULU University, Finland.
- Ona T, Sonoda T, Ito K, Shibata M, Tamai Y, Kojima Y, Ohshima J, Yokota S, Yoshizawa N. 2001. Investigation of relationship between cell and pulp properties in Eucalyptus by examination of within-tree property variations. Wood Sci Technol 35: 363-375. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002260100099
- Saberikhah E, Mohammadi RJ, Rezayati-Chanrani P. 2011. Organosolv pulping of wheat straw by glycerol. Cellulose Chem. Technol 45: 67-75.
- Safdari V, Mohammad RNS, Moinuddin A. 2011. Identification of fibers of woody and non-woody plant species in pulp and papers. Pak J Bot 43: 2127-2133.
- TAPPI (Technical Association ofthe Pulp and Paper Industry). 1994. Tappi Test Methods 1994. Tappi Press, Atlanta.
- Sridach W. 2010. The environmentally benign pulping process of non-wood fibers. Suranaree J Sci Technol 17: 105-123.
- Yahya R, Sugiyama J, Silsia D, Gril J. 2010. Some Anantomical Features of an Acacia hybrid, A. mangium, and A. auriculiformis grown in Indonesia. JTF+S 22: 343-351.
- Yamamoto K, Sulaiman O, Kitingan C, Choon LW, Nhan NT. 2003. Moisture distribution in stems of Acacia mangium, A. auriculiformis and hybrid Acacia trees. JARQ 37: 207-212. https://doi.org/10.6090/jarq.37.207
- Zobel BJ. 1992. Silvicultural effects on wood properties. IPEF International Piracicaba 2: 31-38.