- Volume 29 Issue 3
The correlation between disturbance intensity and stand development was evaluated on the basis of natural forest community type classification in areas of Baekhaksan (more disturbed area) and Hwangaksan (less disturbed area). The vegetation data were collected by point-centered quarter sampling method, and they were subjected to cluster analysis for classifying community types and to analysis of species composition and species diversity for reviewing ecological characteristics. By the method of cluster analysis, natural forests of Baekhaksan were classified into Quercus forest community, Pinus densiflora community, Q. variabilis community, and Q. mongolica community. Those of Hwangaksan were divided into P. densiflora community, Q. mongolica community, Q. forest community, and Mixed mesophytic community. It is presumed that more developed and less disturbed forest area shows multiple species community pattern and more diversified structure than less developed and more disturbed forest area. In Korean peninsula, the abundance of red pine may play an important indicator to estimate the developmental pattern of the forest after artificial disturbance. The overall evaluation indicated that less disturbed Hwangaksan area had more developed stand pattern with mixed mesophytic community, more complicated species composition, and higher species diversity than Baekhaksan area.
point sampling;cluster analysis;species composition;species diversity;secondary succession
- Barbour MG, Billings WD. 1988. North americal terrestrial vegetation. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp 434.
- Bazzaz FA. 1979. The physiological ecology of plant succession. Ann Rev Ecol Syst 10: 351-371. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.es.10.110179.002031
- Braun EL. 1950. Deciduous forests of eastern north america. Blakiston Company, Philadelphia, PA. pp 596.
- Brower JE, Zar JH. 1977. Field and laboratory methods for general ecology. Wm. C. Brown Company Publishers, Dubuque, Iowa, USA. pp 136.
- Curtis JT, McIntosh RP 1951. An upland forest continuum in the prairie-forest border region of Wisconsin. Ecology 32: 476-496. https://doi.org/10.2307/1931725
- Everitt B. 1973. Cluster Analysis. Jhon Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York.
- Forestry Research Institute. 1996. Hardwood Forest Inventory Report. Res Rep. No. 122.
- Hartigan JA. 1975. Clustering algorithms. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York.
- Kim JH. 1993. The estimation of climax index for broadleaved tree species by analysis of ecomorphological properties. J Korean For Soc 82: 176-187.
- Kim JH. 2002. Community ecological view of the natural deciduous forest in Korea. In: Ecology of Korea. Bumwoo Publishing Company, Seoul, Korea. pp 93-104.
- Korean Forest Research Institute. 2012. Korean Forests Based on Vegetation Map. Bull For Sci No. 12-07.
- Lee DK, Kwon KW, Kim JH, Kim GT. 2010. Silviculture-- Sustaiable Ecological maintenance of the forest. Hyangmoonsa, Seoul. pp 334.
- Lee JM. 2013. The classification of forest communities and the evaluation of species diversity in natural forests of six mts. in Gangwon-do Baekdudaegan MS Thesis. Department of Forest Management, College of Forest & Environmental Sciences, Kangwon National University. pp 85.
- Lee KJ, Han SS, Kim JH, Kim ES. 1996. Forest Ecoligy. Hyangmoonsa, Seoul. pp 395.
- Loucks O. 1970. Evolution of diversity, efficiency and community stability. Am Zool 10: 17-25. https://doi.org/10.1093/icb/10.1.17
- Odum EP. 1969. The strategy of ecosystem development. Science 164: 262-270. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.164.3877.262
- Oliver CD, Larson BC. 1996. Forest stand dynamics. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, pp 520.
- Orloci L. 1967. An agglomerative method for classification of plant communities. J Ecol 55: 193-206. https://doi.org/10.2307/2257725
- Shannon CE, Weaver W. 1949. The mathematical theory of Communication Univ. Illinois Press, Urbana Illinois.
- Vankat JL. 1979. The natural vegetation of North America. An introduction. John Wiley & Sons, New York, pp 261.
- Yang HM, Kang SK, Kim JH. 2001. Selection of desirable species and estimation of composition ratio in a natural deciduous forest. J Korean For Soc 90: 465-475.
- Yun JW, Han SS, Kim JH. 1987. Structure and environment conditions in a virgin forest. Res Bull Exp For KNU 7: 3-26.
- 1. Spectral Mixture Analysis Using Modified IEA Algorithm for Forest Classification vol.30, pp.2, 2014, doi:10.7747/JFS.2013.29.3.219
- 2. The Classification and Species Diversity of Forest Cover Types in the Natural Forest of the Middle Part of Baekdudaegan vol.104, pp.1, 2015, doi:10.7747/JFS.2013.29.3.219
- 3. Forest Type Classification and Ecological Characteristics for Areas of Cheonwangbong, Songnisan vol.104, pp.3, 2015, doi:10.7747/JFS.2013.29.3.219
- 4. Forest Type Classification and Successional Trends in the Natural Forest of Mt. Deogyu vol.105, pp.2, 2016, doi:10.7747/JFS.2013.29.3.219
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 산림청