- Volume 26 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Effect of the Addition of Schisandra chinensis Powder on the Physico-chemical Characteristics of Sausage
- Jin, S.K. (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Park, J.H. (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2013.04.08
- Accepted : 2013.07.03
- Published : 2013.12.01
The individual and interactive effects of Schisandra chinensis powder (SCP) and sodium nitrite additions on color, pH, water holding capacity, residual nitrite, 2-thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS), volatile basic nitrogen, texture properties, fatty acids, amino acids and sensory evaluation of cooked pork sausages were investigated after 20 d of storage at
Schisandra chinensis;Sodium Nitrite;TBARS;Textural Property;Sausage
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- AOAC. 2000. Official method of analysis. 17th Edition. Association of Officail Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA.
- Aristoy, M. C. and F. Toldra. 1991. Deproteinization techniques for HPLC amino acid analysis in fresh muscle and dry-cured ham. J. Agric. Food Chem. 39:1792-1795. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00010a020
- Bordignon, L. M. T., D. Gauche, E. F. Gris, and L. D. Falcao. 2007. Colour stability of anthocyanins from Isabel grapes (Vitis labrusca L.) in model systems. LWT-Food Sci. Technol. 40:594-599. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2006.02.022
- Buege, J. A. and S. D. Aust. 1978. Microsomal lipid peroxidation methods. Meth. Enzymol. 52:302-310. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(78)52032-6
- Chung, S. Y., N. K. Kim, and S. Yoon. 1999. Nitrite scavenging effect of methanol fraction obtained from green yellow vegetable juices. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 28:342-347.
- Ha, J. U., Y. K. Ryu, and H. J. Park. 2001. Nitrite scavenging ability and antioxidative activity of water extract and ethanol extract from Cassia tora L. and Pueraria thunbergiana. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 21:1-9.
- Honikel, K. O. 2008. The use and control of nitrate and nitrite for the processing of meat production. Meat Sci. 78:68-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.05.030
- Janna, O. A., A. K. Khairul, and M. Maziah. 2007. Anthocyanin stability studies in Tibouchina semidecandra L. Food Chem. 101:1640-1646. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.04.034
- Jin, S. K., D. Shin, and I. C. Hur. 2011. Effect of Opuntia ficus-indica var. saboten powder addition on quality characteristics of sausage. J. Agr. Life Sci. 45:125-134.
- Jin, S. K., Y. J. Kim, J. H. Park, I. C. Hur, S. H. Nam, and D. Shin. 2012. Effects of purple-fleshed sweet potato (Ipomoera batatas Cultivar Ayamurasaki) powder addition on color and texture properties and sensory characteristics of cooked pork sausages during storage. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 25:1329-1337. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2012.12125
- Jung, H. J., H. C. Lee, and K. B. Jin. 2010. Effect of red beet on quality and color stability of low-fat sausages during refrigerated storage. Korean J. Food Sci. Anim. 30:1014-1023. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2010.30.6.1014
- Kang, J. O. and G. H. Lee. 2003. Effects of pigment of red beet and chitosan on reduced nitrite sausages. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 23:215-220.
- Kim, S. H., B. H. Lee, K. C. Kim, S. S. Choi, G. W. Kim, M. H. Joo, and S. H. Yoo. 2008. Compositional characterization and colorant identification of Omija (Schizandra chinensis) fruit extract. Korean Food Sci. Biotechnol. 17:787-793.
- Kim, S. H., M. H. Joo, and S. H. Yoo. 2009. Structural identification and antioxidant properties of major anthocyanin extracted from Omija (Schizandra chinensis) fruit. J. Food Sci. 74:134-140. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2009.01049.x
- Kim, S. M., Y. S. Cho, T. M. Yang, S. H. Lee, D. G. Kim, and S. K. Sung. 2000. Development of functional sausage using extracts from Schizandra chinensis. Korean J. Food Sci. Anim. Resour. 20:272-281.
- Kim, Y. S., Y. S. Kim, S. Y. Kim, J. H. Whang, and H. J. Suh. 2008. Application of Omija (Schizandra chinensis) and plum (Prunus mume) extracts for the improvement of Kimchi quality. Food Control 19:662-669. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2007.07.006
- Lee, S. H. and Y. S. Lim. 1998. Antimicrobial effects of Schizandra chinensis extract on pathogenic microorganism. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 27:239-243.
- Leparge, G. and C. C. Roy. 1986. Direct transesterification of all classes of lipids in a one-step reaction. J. Lipid Res. 27:114-120.
- Marco, A., J. L. Navarro, and M. Flores. 2006. The influence of nitrite and nitrate on microbial, chemical and sensory parameters of slow dry fermented sausage. Meat Sci. 73:660-673. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.03.011
- Maqsood, S., S. Benjakul, and A. K. Balange. 2012. Effect of tannic acid and kiam wood extract on lipid oxidation and textural properties of fish sausages during refrigerated storage. Food Chem. 130:408-416. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.07.065
- Meilgaard, M., G. V. Civille, and B. T. Carr. 1991. Affective tests: Consumer tests and in-house panel acceptance tests. In: Sensory evaluation techniques. 3rd edn, CRC Press Inc, Boca Ranton, FL, pp. 211-222.
- Moon, Y. J., S. Park, and C. K. Sung. 2003. Effect of ethanolic extract of Schizandra chinensis for the delayed ripening Kimchi preparation. Korean J. Food Nutr. 16:7-14.
- Osada, K., S. Hoshina, S. Nakamura, and M. Suqano. 2000. Cholesterol oxidation in meat products and its regulation by supplementation of sodium nitrite and apple polyphenol before processing. J. Agric. Food Chem. 48:3823-3829. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf991187k
- Park, J. W. 2005. Codex code for frozen surimi. In: Surimi and surimi seafood (Ed. J. W. Park), Boca Raton: Taylor and Francis Group, 869-885.
- Pearson, D. 1976. The chemical analysis of foods. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, London, pp. 487-573.
- Pegg, R. B. and F. Shahidi. 2000. Nitrite curing of meat: The N-nitrosamine problem and nitrite alternatives. Trumbull (CT): Food and Nutrition Press Inc.
Seoung, P. N., J. H. Kim, S. H. Cho, D. W. Kang, G. H. Kang, B. Y. Park, J. M. Lee, J. H. Jung, and D. H. Kim. 2010. The effects of salt and
$NaNO_2$on fatty acid composition, free amino acids, Microbial counts and sensory characteristics of dry-cured ham processed under Korean environment. Korean J. Food Sci. Anim. 30:435-442. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2010.30.3.435
- Seyfert, M., D. H. Kropf, and M. C. Hunt. 2004. Final cooked temperature effects of ground pork on its ability to react with nitrite. J. Food Sci. 69:506-510.
- Shin, S. C., K. H. Hyun, and K. Y. Lee. 1998. Comparison of the composition of free sugars, amino acids and mineral in black Omija (Schizandra nigra Max.). Korean J. Plant Res. 11:47-50.
- Stahnke, L. H. 1995. Dried sausages fermented with Staphylococcus xylosus at different temperatures and with different ingredient levels-Part I. Chemical and bacteriological data. Meat Sci. 41:179-191. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(94)00070-N
- Toda, S., M. Kimura, M. Ohnish, K. Nakashima, Y. Ikeya, H. Taquchi, and H. Mitsuhashi. 1988. Natural Antioxidative compounds isolated from Schisandra fruit. Jpn. J. Pharmacogn. 42:156-159.
- Wang, J. J., Y. Chen, M. Lin, G. R. Fan, W. Q. Zhao, Y. T. Wu, C. Yan, and J. M. Wang. 2007. Development of a quality evaluation method for Fructus schisandrae by pressurized capillary electrochromatography. J. Sep. Sci. 30:381-390. https://doi.org/10.1002/jssc.200600332
- Zarringhalami, S., M. A. Sahari, and Z. Hamidi-Esfehani. 2009. Partial replacement of nitrite by annatto as a colour additive in sausage. Meat Sci. 81:281-284. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2008.08.003
- Zubillaga, M. P., G. Maerker, and T. A. Foglia. 1984. Antioxidant activity of sodium nitrite in meat. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 61:772-776. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02672133
- Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects of Schisandra and Paeonia extracts in the treatment of asthma vol.8, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3892/etm.2014.1948
- Sensory Evaluation of Different Packaged Roast Beef Treatments Designed for the Extension of Its Shelf Life vol.07, pp.11, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4236/fns.2016.711101
- Potency of Purple Sweet Potato’s Anthocyanin as Biosensor for Detection of Chemicals in Food Products vol.147, pp.1755-1315, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/147/1/012007