- Volume 39 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Identification of Toxin Gene and Antibiotic Resistance of Staphylococcus Aureus Isolated from Agricultural Product Cultivation Environments
농산물 생산 환경에서 분리된 Staphylococcus aureus의 항생제 내성 및 독소 유전자 확인
- Received : 2013.08.19
- Accepted : 2013.09.25
- Published : 2013.10.31
Objectives: This study was undertaken to analyze Staphylococcus aureus from cultivation environments for agricultural products and to confirm antibiotic resistance and enterotoxin genes for the isolated S. aureus. Methods: A total of 648 samples were collected from apple, peach, ginseng and balloon flower farms. S. aureus was isolated from soil, agricultural water, personal hygiene elements (hands, gloves and clothes) and work utensils (boxes). Results: S. aureus was detected in a total of 25 samples and 72 strains were isolated. The resistance rate of the isolated S. aureus strains was confirmed at 33.3%, with 24 resistant strains among the total of 72. Fourteen different patterns types were found, and three pattern types (NV, OX, VA) were confirmed most frequently. As result of the detection of enterotoxin gene type, four gene types (sea: 1, sed: 4, seg: all isolated S. aureus, sei: all isolated S. aureus) were analyzed among a total of nine types. Conclusions: This study demonstrates that personal hygiene techniques should be properly managed, such as washing and sterilization before or after work, because agricultural contamination by S. aureus frequently developed through improper management.
Staphylococcus aureus;antibiotic resistance;enterotoxin;cultivation environments
- Lee HM, Lee GY, Yoon EK, Kim HJ, Kang YS, Lee DH, et al. Computation of maximum edible time using monitoring data of Staphylococcus aureus in kimbap and food microModel. J Fd Hyg Safety. 2004; 19(1): 49-54.
- Food and Drug Administration. Guidance for industry. Guide to minimize microbial food safety hazard for fresh fruits and vegetables. Available: http:// www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/ GuidanceDocuments/ ProduceandPlanProducts/UCM169112.pdf [accessed 2 August. 2013].
- Ministry of Food and Drug Safty. Statistics system on Foodborne Disease, Statistics of cause bacteria. Available: http://www.mfds.go.kr/e-stat/index. do?Menu- Code =33 [accessed 2 August. 2013].
- Cho JI, Lee SH, Choi JH, Choi EJ, Hwang IG. Analysis of prevalence and survival pattern of Staphylococcus aureus from dried seasoned fishes. J Fd Hyg Safety. 2011; 26(4): 366-369.
- Yoon AR. Identification and type classification of staphylococcal enterotoxin isolated from ready-toeat foods [dissertation]. [Seoul]: Korea University; 2008
- Atanassova V, Meindl A, Ring C. Prevalence of Staphylococcus aureus and staphylococcal enterotoxin in raw pork and uncooked smoked ham-a comparision of classical culuring detection and RFLP-PCR. Int J Food Microbiol. 2001; 68(1-2): 105-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1605(01)00479-2
- Naomi B, Avraham R. Staphylococcal enterotoxins. Int J Food Microbiol. 2000; 61(1): 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1605(00)00377-9
- Lee WW. Jung BY, Kim SH, Lee SM, Lee GR, Kim GH, et al. Isolation of Staphylococcus aureus and detection of enterotoxin from pigs and cattle carcass by PCR. Korean J Vet Serv. 2010; 33(3): 255-261.
- Omoe K, Ishikawa M, Shimoda Y, Hu DL, Ueda S, Shinagawa K. Detection of seg, seh and sei genes in Staphylococcus aureus isolates and determination of the enterotoxin productivities of S. aureus isolates harboring seg, seh, or sei genes. J Clin Microbiol. 2002; 40(3): 857-862. https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.40.3.857-862.2002
- Ministry of Food and Drug Safety. Staphylococcus aureus, risk profile. Available: http://www.foodnara. go.kr/foodnara/board-list.do?boardId=series& mid=S07_05_03&page=3 [accessed 2 August 2013]
- Kim SR, Park SJ, Shim WB, Lim HK, Chung DH. Detection of Staphylococcus aureus and screening staphylococcal enterotoxin a, b, c genes in strains isolated from strawberry juice shops in jinju. J Environ Health Sci. 2005; 31(1): 23-30.
- Frazier WC, Westhoff DC. Food Microbiology, 3rd ed. New Delhi: MacGraww-Hill Book Company Press; 2007. p.432-438.
- Kim SR, Shim WB, Kim JH, Hwang SJ, Park SJ, Ha SD, et al. Screening of Staphylococcus aureus and staphylococcal enterotoxin a, b, c gene in strains isolated from strawberry farms in western gyeongnam. Korean J Food Thchnol. 2005; 37(2): 321-327.
- Bae HJ, Park HJ. Hazard analysis of Staphylococcus aureus in ready-to-eat sandwiches. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr. 2007; 36(7): 938-943. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.7.938
- Boehme S, Werner G, Klare I, Reissbrodt R, Witte W. Occurrence of antibiotic-resistant enterobacteria in agricultural foodstuffs. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2004; 48(7): 522-531. https://doi.org/10.1002/mnfr.200400030
- Anonymous. Guidelines for efferctiveness testing of surgical hand scrub(glove juice test). Fed Regist. 1978; 43: 1242-1243.
- McPherson MJ, Taylor GR, Quire P. In PCR-A practical approach. New York: Oxford University Press; 1991. p.29-33.
- CLSI. Performance standards for antimicrobial disk susceptibility test; Approved standard, 11th ed. Wayne: Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute; 2012. p.1-50.
- Etley MJ, Mekalanos JJ. Nucleotide sequence of the type A staphylococcal enterotoxin gene. J. Bacteriol. 1988; 170(1): 34-41. https://doi.org/10.1128/jb.170.1.34-41.1988
- Jones CL, Khan S. Nucleotide sequence of the enterotoxin B gene from Staphylococcus aureus. J. Bacteriol. 1987; 166(1): 29-33.
- Bohach GA, Schlievert PM. Nucleotide sequence of the staphylococcal enterotoxin C1 gene and relatedness to other pyrogenic toxins. Mol Gen Genet. 1987; 209(1): 15-20. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00329830
- Bayles KW, Iandolo JJ. Genetic and molecular analyses of the gene encoding staphylococcal enterotoxin D. J Bacteriol. 1989; 171(9): 4799-4806. https://doi.org/10.1128/jb.171.9.4799-4806.1989
- Couch JL, Soltis MT, Betley MJ. Cloning and nucleotide sequence of the type E staphylococcal enterotoxin gene. J Bacteriol. 1988; 170(7): 2954-2960. https://doi.org/10.1128/jb.170.7.2954-2960.1988
- Munson SH, Tremaine MT, Betley MJ, Welch RA. Identification and characterization of staphylococcal enterotoxin types G and I from Staphylococcus aureus. Infect Immun. 1998; 66(7) : 3337-3348.
- Ren K, Bannan JD, Pancholi V, Cheung AL, Robbins JC, Fischetti VA et al. Characterization and biological properties of a new staphylococcal exotoxin. J Exp Med. 1994; 180(5): 1675-1683. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.180.5.1675
- Zhang S, Iandolo JJ, Stewart GC. The enterotoxin D plasmid of Staphylococcus aureus encodes a second enterotoxin determinant(sej). FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1998; 168(2): 227-233. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-6968.1998.tb13278.x
- Park JY, Choi EH, Choi JH, Shim SK, Park HS, Park KH, et al. Assessment of consumer's food safety perceptions and practices. J Fd Hyg Safety. 2009; 24(1): 1-11.
- Lee JY, Kim KD. A study on the perception of and concern for food safety among urban housewives. Korean J Food Preserv. 2009; 16(6): 999-1007.
- Kim JS, Lee JH, Kim JH, Choi JM, Kim SR, Ha SD, et al. Characteristics of enterotoxigenic genes and antibiotic susceptibility of Staphylococcus aureus isolated from tomato farms in Western Gyeongnam. Korean J Food Thchnol. 2006; 38(2): 295-303.
- Kim SR. Study on the evaluation of microbial safety of perilla leaves(perilla fructescens) and suggestion of methods to reduce microbial loads [dissertation]. [Jinju]: Gyeongsang National University; 2010
- Chung YH. antibiotic resistance and effect assessment in agricultural enviromment. Seoul: Korea Food and Drug Administration; 2009. p.28-37.
- Jung HJ, Cho JI, Park SH, Ha SD, Lee KH, Kim CH, et al. Genotypic and phenotypic characteristics of Staphylococcus aureus isolates from lettueces and raw milk. Korean J Food Thchnol. 2005; 37(1): 124-141.
- Tsen HY, Yu GK, Wang KC, Wang SJ, Chang MY, Lin LY. Comparison of the enterotoxigenic types, toxic shock syndrome toxin I(TSST-1) strains and antibiotic susceptibilities for enterotoxigenic Staphylococcus aureus strains isolated from food and clinical samples. Food microbiolgy. 1998; 15: 33-41. https://doi.org/10.1006/fmic.1997.0130
- Hazariwala A, Sanders Q, Hudson CR, Hofacre C, Thayer SG, Maurer JJ. Distribution of staphylococcal enterotoxin genes among Staphylococcus aureus isolates from poultry and humans invasive staphylococcal disease. Avian Dis. 2002; 46(1): 132-136. https://doi.org/10.1637/0005-2086(2002)046[0132:DOSEGA]2.0.CO;2
- Analysis of Contamination Sources of Staphylococcus aureus Related to Perilla Leaves Using Multi-Locus Variable Number of Tandem Repeat Analysis (MLVA) vol.29, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.13103/JFHS.2014.29.4.278
Supported by : 농촌진흥청