- Volume 37 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Structural Optimization for Hybrid Vertical-Axis Wind Turbine Blade using Response Surface Method
반응표면법을 이용한 양항력형 수직축 풍력발전기 블레이드의 구조 최적 설계
- So, Ki-Sung (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Kunsan Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Choi, Chan-Woong (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Kunsan Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Lee, Dong-Chul (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Kunsan Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Kang, Ki-Weon (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Kunsan Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2013.03.10
- Accepted : 2013.09.14
- Published : 2013.11.01
This study deals with the structural optimization of hybrid vertical-axis wind turbine blades using a response surface method (RSM). The structural analysis results suggest that the stress of hybrid vertical-axis wind turbine blades exceeds the yield strength. Optimization techniques are then applied to structural design to ensure a safe structure. First, the design factors that strongly influence the structural response are identified. The RSM was applied based on the design of experiments. The objective function and constraint terms set the weight and allowable stress, respectively. Furthermore, sensitivity analysis was conducted to indicate the effects of the design factors on the stress and weight. Finally, structural design was performed for the hybrid vertical-axis wind turbine blade.
Blade;Response Surface Method;Structural Design;Vertical-Axis Wind Turbine;Optimal Design
Supported by : 한국연구제단(NRF)
- Kim, H. K., Lee, J. H., Jang, S. M. and Kang, K. W., 2010, "Structural Analysis and Testing of 1.5 kW Class Wind Turbine Blade," Journal of Fluid Machinery, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 51-57.
- Lee, D. C., Jun, H. J., Jin, J. W. and Kang, K. W., 2012, "Structural Test for Hybrid Type Vertical Axis Wind Turbine Blade Using Aerodynamic and Centrifugal Force," Journal of Korea Wind Energy Association, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 47-53.
- Kong, C. D., Lee, H. S., Kim, M. W. and Lee, K. S., 2010, "Study on Design, Manufacturing and Structural Test of 500W Class Vertical Axis Wind Turbine Blade," Journal of Korea Society for Aeronautical & Space Sciences, pp. 212-215.
- Jang, Y. J., Jeong, J. H., Lee, J. H. and Kang, K. W., 2011, "Structural Integrity Through Aerodynamic Analysis and Structural Test for Small Wind Turbine Composite Blade," Journal of Fluid Machinery, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 63-68.
- International Standard, IEC 61400-2, 2006, "Design Requirements for Small Wind Turbines," Second edition.
- Lee, J. H. and Yun, T. W., 2010, "Optimum Design Criteria of 250kW Premium Efficiency Traction Induction Motor Using RSM & FEM," Journal of the Korean Magnetics Society, Vol. 20, No. 6, pp. 239-243. https://doi.org/10.4283/JKMS.2010.20.6.239
- Sun, H. S. and Lee, S. G., 2004, "Aerodynamic Design of Helicopter Rotor Airfoil in Forward Flight Using Response Surface Method," The Korean Society for Aeronautical & Space Sciences, Vol. 32, No. 7, pp. 13-18. https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2004.32.7.013
- Lee, C. H., Min, S. Y., Park, C. J. and Kim, S. J., 2012, " Optimal Design of Cycloidal Vertical Axis Wind Turbine," The Korean Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 249-252.
- Mayers, R. and Montgomery, D. C., 1995, "Response Surface Methodology - Process and Product Optimization Using Designed Experiments," John Wiley & Sons.
- ABAQUS Version 6.10-1, 2010, Dassault Systems Simulia. Inc.
- MINITAB Version 16, 2010, Minitab. Inc.