- Volume 37 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Spherical Indentation Techniques for Creep Property Evaluation Considering Transient Creep
천이크리프를 고려한 구형압입 크리프 물성평가법
- Lim, Dongkyu (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Sogang Univ.) ;
- Lee, Jin Haeng (Reactor Mechanical Engineering Division, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Minsoo (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Sogang Univ.) ;
- Lee, Hyungyil (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Sogang Univ.)
- Received : 2013.03.12
- Accepted : 2013.08.07
- Published : 2013.11.01
Creep through nanoindentations has attracted increasing research attention in recent years. Many studies related to indentation creep tests, however, have simply focused on the characteristics of steady-state creep, and there exist wide discrepancies between the uniaxial test and the indentation test. In this study, we performed a computational simulation of spherical indentations, and we proposed a method for evaluating the creep properties considering transient creep. We investigated the material behavior with variation of creep properties and expressed it using regression equations for normalized variables. We finally developed a program to evaluate the creep properties considering transient creep. By using the proposed method, we successfully obtained creep exponents with an average error less than 1.1 and creep coefficients with an average error less than 2.3 from the load-depth curve.
Transient Creep;Material Property;Spherical Indentation;FEA
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Lamanna, J. A., 2006, "A Study of the Relationship Indentation Creep and Uniaxial Creep," PhD Thesis, University of Tennessee.
- Lee, J. H., Zhou, C., Su, C. J., Gao, Y. F. and Pharr, G. M., 2010, "Similarity Relationships in Creep Contacts and Applications in Nanoindentation Tests," Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, Vol. 1224, 209-214.
- Bower, A. F., Fleck, N. A., Needleman, A. and Ogbonna, N., 1993, "Indentation of a Power Law Creeping Solid," Proceedings of the Royal Society of London A, Vol. 441, 97-124. https://doi.org/10.1098/rspa.1993.0050
- Lamanna, J. A., Oliver, W. C. and Pharr, G. M., 2005, "On the Measurement of Material Creep Parameters by Nanoindentation," Materials Research Society, Vol. 841, 147-152.
- Stone, D. S., Jakes, J. E., Puthoff, J. and Elmustafa, A. A., 2010, "Analysis of Indentation Creep," Journal of the Institute of Metals, Vol. 89, 7-12.
- Mulhearn, T. O. and Tabor, D., 1960, "Creep and Hardness of Metals : a Physical Study," Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 30, 601-610
- Sargemt, P. M. and Ashby M. F., 1992, "Indentation Creep," Materials Science and Technology, Vol. 8, 594-601. https://doi.org/10.1179/026708392790171107
- Lucas, B. N. and Oliver, W. C., 1999, "Indentation Power-Law Creep of High-Purity Indium," Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 30, 601-610 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11661-999-0051-7
- Ogbonna, N., Fleck, N. A. and Cocks, C. F., 1995, "Transient Creep Analysis of Ball Indentation," International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 37, 1179-1202. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7403(95)00016-Q
- Goodall, R. and Clyne, T. W., 2006, "A Critical Appraisal of the Extraction of Creep Parameters from Nanoindentation Data Obtained at Room Temperature," Acta Materialia, Vol. 54, 5489-5499. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actamat.2006.07.020
- Poisl, W.H., Oliver, W.C. and Fabes, B.D., 1995, "The Relationship Between Indentation and Uniaxial Creep in Amorphous Selenium," Journal of Materials Research, Vol. 10, 2024-2032. https://doi.org/10.1557/JMR.1995.2024
- Wang, C. L., Lai, Y. H., Huang, J. C. and Nieh, T. G., 2010, "Creep of Nanocrystalline Nickel : A Direct Comparison Between Uniaxial and Nanoindentation Creep," Scripta Materialia, Vol. 60, 175-178.
- Lee, J. H. and Lee, H., 2012, "Transient Creep Analysis in Indentation Tests," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 36, 81-90. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2012.36.1.081
- Sohn, S. J., 2007, "A Study of Indentation Creep Using the Finite Element Method," PhD Thesis, University of Tennessee.
- ABAQUS User's Manual, Version 6.10, 2010, Dassault Systemes Simulia Corp., Providence, RI, USA