- Volume 37 Issue 5
Pay-for-performance plans are some of widely used human resource practices in many firms, including shipbuilding, for productivity and motivational improvement purposes. Such plans play an important role in industries that are highly labor-intensive, and where effective management of human resources is critical to business operations, such as the shipbuilding industry. Those practices can have large impact on employee performance and ultimately company competitiveness. Research studies that show how such incentive plans improve productivity and reported pattern of adoption by firms have spurred the use and adoption in many firms. However, there are also researchers who point out that there are negative consequences to using incentive plans. Therefore it is important for companies to carefully consider the practices they use. In this paper, I discuss research findings that support the practices and critical viewpoints related to pay-for-performance plans. Research findings from Korean literature are, then, discussed. The shipbuilding industry is chosen because proper human resource management is critical in reducing turnover and increasing employee satisfaction. Through a shipbuilding company case, problems related to using pay-for-performance incentive plans and how they affect work-related issues of employee morale, cooperation, and teamwork will be discussed. While positive aspects have been emphasized to drive greater adoption among firms, the resulting consequences of the pay plans need to be seriously considered and improvements upon the plans made by firms. Improvement suggestions are discussed in the conclusions and implications.
shipbuilding;pay-for-performance evaluation practice;compensation
- Bae, J. S. and Sa, J. H.(2003), "The Effects of Human Resource Management Systems on Organizational Performance", Korean Journal of Management, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 133-169.
- Chang, E. M.(2003), "Effects of Individual Performance Based Compensation on Employees' Work Effort: In the Context of Commitment HR Bundles", Korean Journal of Management, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 133-158.
- Chang, S. I.(2006), "A Study on the MBO and BSC Performance Evaluation System- Focusing on the Orion Company", Korea Human Resource Development Journal, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 97-119.
- Cho, J. H.(2011), "Korea's Salary-Gainsharing System Since Adoption in 1997", Maeil Business Daily, September 16.
- Chung, Y. K. and Lim, E. S.(2011), "National Economic Effects of Shipbuilding Industry", Journal of Korea Port Economic Association, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 129-143.
- Gerhart, B. and Milkovich, G.(1999), "Organizational Differences in Managerial Compensation and Financial Performance", Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 663-690.
- Griffith, R. and Neely, A.(2009), "Performance Pay and Managerial Experience in Multitask Teams: Evidence from within a Firm", Journal of Labor Economics, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 49-82. https://doi.org/10.1086/596324
- Hatcher, L. and Ross, L.(1991), "From Individual Incentives to an Organization-wide Gainsharing Plan: Effects on teamwork and product quality", Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 169-183. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030120302
- Heath, C.(1999), "On the Social Psychology of Agency Relationships: Lay Theories of Motivation Overemphasize Extrinsic Incentives," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol. 78, No. 1, pp. 25-62. https://doi.org/10.1006/obhd.1999.2826
- Heneman, R. and Werner, J.(2005), Merit Pay: Linking Pay to Performance in a Changing World, Greenwich, CT, Information Age.
- Heneman, R.(1992), Merit Pay: Linking Pay Increases to Performance Ratings, Reading, MA, Addison-Wesley.
- Huselid, M. A.(1995), "The Impact of Human Resource Management Practices on Turnover, Productivity, and Corporate Financial Performance," Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 38, No. 3, pp. 635-672. https://doi.org/10.2307/256741
- Kim, J. H.(2008), "Pay-for-Performance Practice: Comparisons of Korea and Japan", Labor Review, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 41-54.
- Kim, J. T., Cho, H. H. and Shin, Y. J.(2013), "A Study on the Effect of Swift Trust on the Cohesiveness and Organizational Effectiveness of Ship Organization", Journal of Korean Navigation and Port Research, Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 429-438. https://doi.org/10.5394/KINPR.2013.37.4.429
- Kim, K. H. and Chung, C. H.(2013), "Other than the Big 3 (Hyundai, Samsung, DSME) the Shipbuilding Industry Reporting Losses", Chosun Ilbo, May 30.
- Kim, J. M. and Lee, D. H.(2011), "The Determinants of Turnover Intentions of Korean Seafarers", Journal of Korean Navigation and Port Research, Vol. 35, No. 3, pp. 219-226. https://doi.org/10.5394/KINPR.2011.35.3.219
- Kim, S. S.(2010), High Performance HR system of Korean Companies, Seoul, SNU Press.
- Kohn, A.(1999), Punished by Rewards: The Trouble with Gold Stars, Incentive Plans, A's, Praise, and Other Bribes, Boston, Houghton-Mifflin.
- Kohn, A.(1993), "Why Incentive Plans Cannot Work", Harvard Business Review, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 54-63.
- Lawler, E. E.(1981), Pay and Organization Development, Reading, MA, Addison-Wesley.
- Luksanato, S.(2013), "Determinants Affecting Thai Merchant Marine Students' Decision in Selecting a Maritime Institute in Thailand: Nautical Science Program", Journal of Korean Navigation Port Research, Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 359-366. https://doi.org/10.5394/KINPR.2013.37.4.359
- McDonaly, D. and Smith, A.(1995), "A Proven Connection: Performance Management and Business Results", Compensation and Benefits Review, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 59-64. https://doi.org/10.1177/088636879502700111
- Milkovich, G. T., Newman, J. M., and Gerhart, B.(2011), Compensation. New York, McGraw-Hill/Irwin.
- Milkovich, G. and Milkovich, C.(1992), "Strengthening the Pay-performance Relationship: The Research", Compensation & Benefits Review, Vol. 24, No. 1, 53-62.
- Pearce, J. L., Stevenson, W. B., and Perry, J. L.(1985), "Managerial Compensation Based on Organizational Performance: A Time Series Analysis of the Effects of Merit Pay", Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 261-278. https://doi.org/10.2307/256200
- Pfeffer, J.(1998), "Six Dangerous Myths about Pay", Harvard Business Review, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 109-119.
- Park, S. H. and Kim, H. N.(2012), "The Change of Productivity and Efficiency of Korean Shipbuilding Industry and Its Determinants", Journal of Korea Port Economic Association, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 155-177.
- Rodgers, R. and Hunter, J. E.(1999), "Impact of Management by Objectives on Organizational Productivity," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 76, No. 4, 322-336.
- Ryu, S. M. and Kim, S. S.(2007), "Environment, HR Involvement, HR System, HR Effectiveness, and Firms' Performance", Korean Journal of Management, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 1-43.
- Yu, G. C. and Park, W. S.(2007), "Determinants of Organizational Effectiveness of Performance-based Human Resource Management", Korean Journal of Management, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 187-224.