- Volume 3 Issue 3
Environmental problems like global warming have now become important issues that should be considered in all industries, including construction. In South Korea, many studies have been conducted to achieve the government's goals of reduction in environmental impacts. However, the research on buildings has only focused on CO2 emission as a research target despite the fact that other environmental impacts resulting from ozone depletion and acidification should also be considered, in addition to global warming. In this regard, this study attempted to propose assessment criteria and methods to evaluate the environmental performance of the structures from various aspects. The environmental impact category can be divided into global impacts, regional impacts, and local impacts. First, global impacts include global warming, ozone layer depletion, and abiotic resource depletion, while regional impacts include acidification, eutrophication, and photochemical oxidation. In addition, noise and vibration occurring in the building construction phase are defined as local impacts. The evaluation methods on the eight environmental impacts will be proposed after analyzing existing studies, and the methods representing each environmental load as monetary value will be presented. The methods presented in this study will present benefits that can be obtained through green buildings with a clear quantitative assessment on structures. Ultimately, it is expected that if the effects of green buildings are clearly presented through the findings of this study, the greening of structures will be actively expanded.
Life Cycle Assessment;Life Cycle Impact Assessment;Environmental Impact Category;Monetary valuation
- J.B. Guinee, et al., "Life cycle assessment: An operational guide to the ISO standards", Ministry of Housing, Spatial planning and the Environment (VROM) and Centre of Environmental Science - Leiden University (CML), 2001.
- R.H. Crawford, "Life Cycle Assessment in the Built Environment", New York: Spon Press, 2011.
- Y. Kim, H. Cha, K. Kim, D. Shin, "Evaluation Method of Green Construction Technologies Using Integrated LCC and LCA Analysis", Korea Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 10, 2011. https://doi.org/10.6106/KJCEM.2011.12.3.91
- W. Trusty, "Integrating LCA into LEED - Working group A Interim Report #1", US Green Building Council, p. 11. 2006.
S. Tae, C. Baek, S. Shin, "Life cycle
$CO_2$evaluation on reinforced concrete structures with high-strength concrete", Environmental Impact Assessment Review, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 253-260, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eiar.2010.07.002
- T. Hong, C. Ji, H. Park, "Integrated model for assessing the cost and CO2 emission (IMACC) for sustainable structural design in ready-mix concrete", Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 103, pp. 1-8, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2012.02.034
C. Baek, S. Tae, S. Roh, J. Lee, S. Shin, "A Study on the Requisite Elements of
$LCCO_2$Evaluation System at Planning Stage of Building", Korea Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 11, 2011. https://doi.org/10.6106/KJCEM.2011.12.3.31
- ILCD, "International reference life cycle data system handbook. Framework and requirements for life cycle impact assessment (LCIA) models and indicators", in The International reference life cycle data system hand book, 1st ed., Joint Research Centre, 2010.
- American National Standards Institute, "Environmental management - Life cycle assessment - Principles and framework", ANSI/ISO 14040 - 1997, 1997.
- J.M.C. Teixeira, "Construction site environmental impact in civil engineering education", European Journal of Engineering Education, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 51-58, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1080/03043790512331313831
- Z. Chen, H. Li, C. Wong, "Environmental Management of Urban Construction Projects in China", Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, vol. 126, no. 4, pp. 320-324, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(2000)126:4(320)
- Z. Chen, H. Li, C. Wong, "Environal Planning: Analytic Network Process Model for Environmentally Conscious Construction Planning", Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, vol. 131, no. 1, pp. 92-101, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(2005)131:1(92)
- R.J. Cole, "Building environmental assessment methods: assessing construction practices", Construction Management and Economics, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 949-957, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1080/014461900446902
- L.Y. Shen, V.W.Y. Tam, "Implementation of environmental management in the Hong Kong construction industry", International Journal of Project Management, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 535-543, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-7863(01)00054-0
- T. Hong, C. Ji, K. Jeong, "Environmental Impact Assessment of Buildings based on Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) Methodology", The Korean journal of construction engineering and management, vol. 13, no. 5, p. 9, 2012. https://doi.org/10.6106/KJCEM.2012.13.5.084
- American National Standards Institute, "Environmental Management-Life Cycle Assessment-Life Cycle Impact Assessment", ANSI/ISO 14042-2000, 2000.
- J.C. Bare, P. Hofstetter, D.W. Pennington, H.A. Udo de Haes, "Life cycle impact assessment workshop summary. Midpoints versus endpoints: The sacrifices and benefits", International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 319-326, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02978665
- O. Jolliet, M. Margni, R. Charles, S. Humbert, J. Payet, G. Rebitzer, R. Rosenbaum, "IMPACT 2002+: A new life cycle impact assessment methodology", The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 324-330, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02978505
- J.C. Bare, G.A. Norris, D.W. Pennington, T. McKone, "TRACI: The tool for the reduction and assessment of chemical and other environmental impacts", Journal of Industrial Ecology, vol. 6, no. 3-4, pp. 49-78, 2003.
- M. Hauschild, J. Potting, "Spatial differentiation in Life Cycle impact assessment - The EDIP 2003 methodology", Danish Ministry of the Environment; Environmental Protection Agency, 2005.
- J. Bare, "TRACI 2.0: the tool for the reduction and assessment of chemical and other environmental impacts 2.0", Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 687-696, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10098-010-0338-9
- H.J. Althaus, et al. "Implementation of Life Cycle Impact Assessment Methods", Dubendorf: Swiss Centre for Life Cycle Inventories, 2007.
- M. Goedkoop, R. Spriensma, "The Eco-indicator 99 A damage oriented method for Life Cycle Impact Assessment", 3rd ed., PRe Consultants B.V., 2001.
- B. Steen, "A systematic approach to environmental priority strategies in product development (EPS). version 2000 - models and data of the default method", Centre for Environmental Assessment of Products and Material Systems, 1999.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), "IPCC fourth assessment report: Climate Change 2007", IPCC, 2007.
- J.S. Daniel, G.J.M. Velders (Lead Authors), A.R. Douglass, P.M.D. Forster, D.A. Hauglustaine, I.S.A. Isaksen, L.J.M. Kuijpers, A. McCulloch, T.J. Wallington, "Halocarbon scenarios, ozone depletion potentials, and global warming potentials", Chapter 8 in Scientific Assessment of Ozone Depletion: 2006, Global Ozone Research and Monitoring Project-Report No. 50, pp. 572, World Meteorological Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2007.
- H.S. Sun, Y.M. Park, J.H. Lee, Y.H. KIm, J.C. Bang, "Study of improving Noise Level and Vibration level compution method by investigating environmental dispute case", National Environmental Dsipute Resolution Comission of South Korea, 2007.
- H. Amick, "Frequency-dependent soil propagation model", Proceedings of SPIE Conference on Current Developments in Vibration Control for Optomechanical Systems, Denver, Colorado, 1999.
- H.J. Hwang, "Problems and measures of Noise and Vibration permission criteria by analyzing blast works associated civil", Korean Society of Civil Engineers (KSCE), vol. 44, no. 11, pp. 36-42, 1996.
- Integrated CO2, cost, and schedule management system for building construction projects using the earned value management theory vol.103, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2014.05.031