- Volume 37 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Design of Rotary Atomizer Using Characteristics of Thin Film Flow on Solid Surfaces
완전접촉 경계면 위의 박막유동 특성을 이용한 회전무화기의 형상 설계
- Park, Boo Seong (School of Mechanical Engineering, University of Ulsan) ;
- Kim, Bo Hung (School of Mechanical Engineering, University of Ulsan)
- Received : 2013.02.18
- Accepted : 2013.10.12
- Published : 2013.12.01
A disc-type rotary atomizer affords advantages such as superior paint transfer efficiency, uniformity of paint pattern and particle size, and less consumption of compressed air compared to a spray-gun-type atomizer. Furthermore, it can be applied to all types of painting materials, and it is suitable for large-scale processes such as car painting. The painting quality, which is closely related to the atomizer performance, is determined by the uniformity and droplet size in accordance with the design of the bell disc surface. This study establishes the basics of how to design a surface by modeling the operating bell disc's RPM, diameter, surface angle, and film thickness considering dye characteristics such as the viscosity, density, and surface affinity.
Rotary Atomizer;Parametric Study;Design Technique;Surface Modeling;Film Thickness
- Heo, J. H. and Kim, D. S, 2012, "Development and Performance Evaluation of a Liquid Particle Generator," Journal of Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp. 4334-4340. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.9.4334
- Ju, E. S., Choi, J. H. and Park, Y. H., 1999, "A Study on the Ultrasonic Application for the Atomization of Liquid Fuels," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. B, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 540-547.
- Choi, H. K., Lee, D. H., You, G. W. and Choi, S. M., 2008, "Spray Characteristics of the Rotary Atomizer for the Slinger Combustor," Journal of ILASS-Korea, Vol. 13, No 3, pp. 149-155.
- Mellor, A. M., 1990, Design of Modern Turbine Combustors, Academic Press, London, pp. 306-314.
- Lee, D. H., Choi, H. K., Choi, S. M., You, G. W. and Huh, H. I., 2008, "The Atomization Mechanism and Spray Characteristics of Drum Type Rotary Atomizer," Journal of The Korean Society of Propulsion Engineers, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 57-65.
- Jang, S. H., Lee, D. H., You, G. W. and Choi, S. M., 2008, "Atomization of the High Speed Rotary Nozzle with Orifice Diameter," Journal of ILASS-Korea Academic Lectures, Vol. 2008, pp. 61-65.
- Asakawa, N. and Takeuchi, Y., 1997, "Teachingless Spray-Painting of Sculptured Surface by an Industrial Robot," Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol. 3, pp. 1875-1879.
- Hinze, J. O. and Milborn, H., 1950, "Atomization of Liquids by Means of Rotating Cup," ASME J. Appl. Mech., Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 145-153.
- Colbert, S. A. and Cairncross, R. A., 2006, "A Discrete Droplet Transport Model for Predicting Spray Coating Patterns of an Electrostatic Rotary Atomizer," Journal of Electrostatics, Vol. 64, No. 3, pp. 234-246. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elstat.2005.06.003
- Alaa A. Elmoursi, 1989, "Laplacian Fields of Bell-Type Electrostatic Painting Systems," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 234-240. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.25537
- Im, K. S., Lai M. C. and Yoon, S. J., 2003, "Spray Characteristics on the Electrostatic Rotating Bell Applicator," KSME International Journal, Vol. 17, No. 12, pp. 2053-2065.
- Fukuta K., Murate M., Ohashi Y. and Toda K., 1993, "New Rotary Bell for Metallic Paint Application," Metal Finishing, Vol. 91, No. 10, pp. 39-42.
- Cha, S. W., Lee, C. and Ko, Y. S., 2002, "Effect of Serrated Disk of Electrostatic Rotary Atomizer on Transfer Characteristics," Journal of The Korean Society of Clean Technology, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 45-51.
- Lee, C., Cha, S. W. and Ho, K. I., 2004, "Development of the Rotary Electrostatic Painting Equipment with High Transfer Efficiency," Journal of Fluid Machinery, Vol. 7, No. 6, pp. 7-14.
- Park, W. H. and Kim, T. K., 2000, "Solutions of the Navier-Stokes equation in slip flow region," KSME Fall Annual Meeting 2000, pp. 597-602.
- Lee, C. and Cha, S. W., 2003, "Study on the RPM Characteristics of Rotary Atomizer for Various Air Turbine and Nozzle Types," Journal of The Korean Society of Clean Technology, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 163-168.
- Young, Munson, Okiishi and Huebsch, 2007, "A Brief Introduction to FLUID MECHANICS," 4th, John Wiley & Sons, NewYork, pp. 256-259.
- Design of Reduced Shear Stress with High-Viscosity Flow Using Characteristics of Thin Film Flow on Solid Surfaces vol.38, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-B.2014.38.12.1027
- Vibration Characteristics of High Speed Rotary Bell Cup vol.25, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVE.2015.25.11.771
- Vibration Characteristics Analysis of High Speed Rotary Bell Cup with Different Shapes and Dimensions vol.26, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVE.2016.26.7.857