- Volume 37 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Numerical Study of Breakup Process of Diesel Spray
디젤분무의 분열과정에 대한 수치해석 연구
- Yeom, Jeong Kuk (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Dong-A Univ.) ;
- Jung, Woo Sung (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Dong-A Univ.)
- Received : 2013.04.08
- Accepted : 2013.10.04
- Published : 2013.12.01
High-pressure flows are ubiquitous in many industrial fields. A representative application is fuel injection using a common-rail control system in diesel engines, where the injection pressure in the injector exceeds 1000 bar. In high-speed injection, the fluid injected through the nozzle undergoes breakup owing to the interaction with the ambient gas. The breakup process influences mixture formation, which in turn influences combustion in diesel engines. Therefore, it is very important to analyze the breakup process of fuel spray. The Reitz and Diwakar model and cascade atomization and breakup (CAB) model were used in this study as sub-models for the numerical analysis of the breakup process of fuel spray. This study aims to precisely analyze the breakup process of spray and to investigate the breakup frequency of the injected fuel. Consequently, it proposes a suitable sub-model for analyzing the breakup process of a diesel spray by using CFX, a commercial CFD program.
Breakup Model;Common-Rail System;CFD;Internal Combustion Engine;Spray
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Lee, S. D. and Jung, S. H., 2013, "Comparison of Combustion Characteristics Between Esterified and Non-esterified Bio-diesel Oil on CRDI Diesel Engine with Turbocharger," Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Engineering, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 53-58. https://doi.org/10.5916/jkosme.2013.37.1.53
- Lee, S. H., Kim, H. S., Park, J. H. and Cho, P. B., 2012, "On-Road Investigation of PM Emissions According to Vehicle Fuels(Diesel, DME and Bio-Diesel)," Transactions of KSAE, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 88-97. https://doi.org/10.7467/KSAE.2012.20.3.088
- Jeong, K. S., Lee, D. G., Roh, H. G. and Lee, C. S., 2011, "Effect of Pilot Injection on Combustion and Exhaust Emissions Characteristics in a Biodiesel Fueled Diesel Engine," Journal of the Korean Society of Combustion, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 1-7.
- Park, W. A., Lee, H. W. and Min, K. D., 2013, "Evaluation of Droplet Breakup Models and Application to the Diesel Engine Combustion Analysis," Transactions of KSAE, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 86-91. https://doi.org/10.7467/KSAE.2013.21.1.086
- Desantes, J. M., Payri, R., Salvador, F. J. and Gil, A., 2006, "Development and Validation of a Theoretical Model for Diesel Spray Penetration," Fuel, Vol. 85, Issues 7-8, pp. 910-917. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2005.10.023
- Park, S. H., Kim, H. J., Kim, S. H. and Lee, C. S., 2010, "Spray-Atomization Characteristics of Biodiesel Fuel with Multiple Injection," Transactions of KSAE, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 40-47.
- Yeom, J. K., 2011, "Basic Experimental Study on the Application of Biofuel to a Diesel Engine," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. B, Vol. 35, No. 11, pp. 1163-1168. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-B.2011.35.11.1163
- Lee, S. R., 1994, "Internal Combustion Engine, BOSUNGKAK, Seoul, pp. 231-233.
- Park, S. H., Youn, I. M., Lim, Y. S. and Lee, C. S., 2013, "Influence of the Mixture of Gasoline and Diesel Fuels on Droplet Atomization, Combustion and Exhaust Emission Characteristics in a Compression Ignition Engine," ELSEVIER, Vol. 106, pp. 392-401. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuproc.2012.09.004
- Liu, A. B. and Reitz, R. D., 1993, "Mechanisms of Air-assisted Liquid Atomization," Atomization and Sprays, Vol. 3, pp. 1-27. https://doi.org/10.1615/AtomizSpr.v3.i1.10
- Hossainpour, S. and Binesh, A. R., 2009, "Investigation of Fuel Spray Atomization in DI Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine and Comparison of Various Spray Breakup Models," FUEL, Vol. 88, pp. 799-805. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2008.10.036