- Volume 37 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Influence of Punch Velocity on Gas Hydrogen Embrittlement Behaviors in SA372 Steel
압력용기용 강의 가스수소 취화 거동에 미치는 펀치속도의 영향
- Bae, Kyung-Oh (Dept. of Mechanical Design Engineering, Andong Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Shin, Hyung-Seop (Dept. of Mechanical Design Engineering, Andong Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Baek, Un-Bong (Center of Energy Materials Metrology, Korea Research Institute of Standards and Science) ;
- Nahm, Seung-Hoon (Center of Energy Materials Metrology, Korea Research Institute of Standards and Science) ;
- Park, Jong-Seo (Center of Energy Materials Metrology, Korea Research Institute of Standards and Science) ;
- Lee, Hae-Moo (Center of Energy Materials Metrology, Korea Research Institute of Standards and Science)
- 배경오 (안동대학교 기계설계공학과) ;
- 신형섭 (안동대학교 기계설계공학과) ;
- 백운봉 (한국표준과학연구원 에너지소재표준센터) ;
- 남승훈 (한국표준과학연구원 에너지소재표준센터) ;
- 박종서 (한국표준과학연구원 에너지소재표준센터) ;
- 이해무 (한국표준과학연구원 에너지소재표준센터)
- Received : 2013.05.11
- Accepted : 2013.10.05
- Published : 2013.12.01
When using hydrogen gas as an ecofriendly energy sources, it is necessary to conduct a safety assessment and ensure thereliability of the hydrogen pressure vessel against hydrogen embrittlement expected in the steel materials. In this study, by applying the in-situ SP test method, the gas hydrogen embrittlement behaviors in SA372 steel, which is commonly used as a pressurized hydrogen gas storage container, were evaluated. To investigate the hydrogen embrittlement behavior, SP tests at different punch velocities were conducted for specimens with differently fabricated surfaces at atmospheric pressure and under high-pressure hydrogen gas conditions. As a result, the SA372 steel showed significant hydrogen embrittlement under pressurized hydrogen gas conditions. The effect of punch velocity on the hydrogen embrittlement appeared clearly; the lower punch velocity case indicated significant hydrogen embrittlement resulting in lower SP energy. The fractographic morphologies observed after SP test also revealed the hydrogen embrittlement behavior corresponding to the punch velocity adopted. Under this pressurized gas hydrogen test condition, the influence of specimen surface condition on the extent of hydrogen embrittlement could not be determined clearly.
in-situ SP test;Hydrogen embrittlement;SA372 steel;Punch velocity;Fractography;SP energy
- Nanninga, N. E., Levy, Y.S., Drexler, E. S., Condon, R. T., Stevenson, A. E. and Slifka A. J., 2012, "Comparison of Hydrogen Embrittlement in Three Pipeline Steels in High Pressure Gaseous Hydrogen Environments", Corrosion Sci., Vol. 59, pp. 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.corsci.2012.01.028
- Michler, T., Lee, Y., Gangloff, R. P. and Naumann, J., 2009, "Influence of Macro Segregation on Hydrogen Environment Embrittlement of SUS 316L Stainless Steel," Int,J. Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 34, pp. 3201-3209. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2009.02.015
- Zhang, L., Wen, M., Imade, M., Fukuyama, S. and Yokogawa, K., "Effect of Nickel Equivalent on Hydrogen Gas Embrittlement of Austenitic Stainless Steels based on Type 316 at Low Temperatures," Acta Mater., Vol. 56, pp. 3414-3421. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actamat.2008.03.022
- Jang, S. Y. and Yoon, K. B., 2009, "Study on Hydrogen Embrittlement for API 5L X65 Steel Using Small Punch Test I : Base Metal," Journal of Energy Engineering, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 49-55.
- Ogata, T., 2007, "Hydrogen Embrittlement Evluation in Tensile Properties of Stainless Steels at cryogenic Temperatures," Adv. Cryo. Eng., Vol. 54, pp. 124-131.
- Ogata, T., 2008, "Evaluation of Hydrogen Embrittlement by Internal High-Pressure Hydrogen Environment in Specimen," J. Jpn. Inst. Met., Vol. 72, pp. 125-131. https://doi.org/10.2320/jinstmet.72.125
- Mao, X., Takahashi, H., Kodaira, T., 1991, "Estimation of Mechanical Properties of Irradiated Nuclear Pressure Vessel Steel by Use of Subsized CT Specimen and Small Punch Specimen", Script Metallurgica, Vol. 25 (11), pp. 2487-2490. https://doi.org/10.1016/0956-716X(91)90054-5
- Kim, J. K., Lee, J. K., Yoon, K. B. and Chung, S. H., 1991, "Study on Evaluation by Small Punch Test for Material Degradation of Steam Tubes of Fossil Electric Power Plant," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng, Vol. 47, pp. 85-94.
- ASTM F2183 -02, 2008, Standard Test Method for Small Punch Testing of Ultra-High Molecular Weight polyethylene Used in Surgical Implants, ASTM International.
- JAERI-M 88-172, 1988, Recommended Practice for Small Punch (SP) Testing of Metallic Materials, Japan Atomic Energy Research Institute.
- Shin, H. S., Kim, K. H., Baek, U. B., Nahm, S. H., 2011, "Development of Evaluation Technique for Hydrogen Embrittlement Behavior of Metallic Materials Using in-situ SP Testing under Pressurized Hydrogen Gas Conditions," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol . 35, pp. 1377-1382. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2011.35.11.1377
- Shin, H. S., Kim. K. H., "Small Punch Testing Apparatus Under Corrosive Gas Environment" Korean Patent Application No. 1177429, 2012.
- ASTM A372-12, Standard Specifications for Carbon and Alloy Steel Forgings for Thin-Walled Pressure Vessels.
- Hertzberg, R. W., 1996, "Deformation and Fracture Mechanics of Engineering Materials," 4th Ed., Wiley.
- Evaluation of stress and crack behavior using the extended finite element method in the composite layer of a type III hydrogen storage vessel vol.32, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-018-0407-2