- Volume 37 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Heat Transfer and Radiation Shielding Analysis for Optimal Design of Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator
방사성동위원소 열전 발전기 최적설계를 위한 차폐 및 열전달 해석
- Son, Kwang Jae (Dept. of Research Reactor Applications, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Hong, Jintae (Dept. of Research Reactor Applications, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Yang, Young Soo (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Jeonnam Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2013.07.19
- Accepted : 2013.09.05
- Published : 2013.12.01
To supply electric power in certain extreme environments such as a spacecraft or in military applications, a radioisotope thermoelectric generator has been highlighted as a useful energy source owing to its high energy density, long lifetime, and high reliability. A radioisotope thermoelectric generator generates electric power by using the heat energy converted from the radioactive energy of a radioisotope. In this study, FE analyses such as radiation shield analysis, heat transfer analysis, and power recovery rate analysis have been carried out to achieve an optimal design for a radioisotope thermoelectric generator using
Radioisotope;Radioisotope Thermo-Electric Generator;Heat Transfer Analysis;Radiation Shielding
Supported by : 산업통상자원부
- George R., Thomas J. and Leonard A. Dudzinski, "Radioisotope Power: A Key Technology for Deepspace Mission," www.intechopen.com, pp. 419-456.
- Leopold Summerer, Jean Pierre Roux, Alexey Pustovalov, Viacheslav Gusev and Nikolai Rybkin, 2009, "Technology-Based Design and Scaling Laws for RTGs for Space Exploration in the 100 W Range," ICA-09, C4.7-C3.5.5.
- Bennett, G. L., Lombardo, J. J., Hemler, R. J., Silverman, G., Whitmore, C.W., Amos, W. R., Johnson, E.W., Schock, A., Hagen, J. C. and Englehart, R. W., 2006, "Mission of Daring: The General-Purpose Heat Source Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator," 4th IECEC, AIAA 2006-4096.
- El-Genk, M. S. and Saber, H. H., 2006, "Thermal and Performance Analyses of Efficient Radioisotope Power Systems," Energy Conversion and Management, Vol.47, pp.2290-2307. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2005.11.022
- Richard, R. and Furlong, J., 1999, "U.S. Space Mission Using Radioisotope Power System," Nuclear News, pp. 26-34.
- Anderson, D. J., 2005, "NASA Radioisotope Power Conversion Technology NRA," NASA/TM. 2005-213981.
- Cassady, R. J., Frisbee, R. H., Gilland, J. H., Houts, M. G., LaPointe, M. R., Maresse-Reading, C. M., Oleson, S. R., Polk, J. E., Russell, D. and Sengupta, A., 2008, "Recent Advances in Nuclear Powered Electric Propulsion for Space Exploration," Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 49, pp. 412-435. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2007.10.015
- Fleurial, J.-P., Snyder, G.J., Patel, J., Herman, J.A., Caillat, T., Nesmith, B. and Kolawa, E.A., 2000, "Miniaturized Radioisotope Solid State Power Sources, Space Technology and Applications International Forum Proceedings," Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Balint, T. S., 2005, "Comparison of Power System Options Between Future Lunar and Mars Missions," International Lunar Conference 2005 Proceedings.