- Volume 16 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Emotional Burnout and Empowerment, and Organizational Commitment on Cooperation Behavior and Safety Behavior: Focus on Railway Controllers and Railway Engineers
감정소진과 임파워먼트, 조직몰입이 협력행동 및 안전행동에 미치는 영향: 철도 관제사 및 기관사를 중심으로
- Hwang-Bo, Jak (Department of railway management Administration, Dongyang University)
- Received : 2013.07.05
- Accepted : 2013.10.07
- Published : 2013.10.31
An empirical study on railway controller and railway engineer who work in a domestic railway corporation was undertaken to verify the effects of emotional burnout and empowerment and organizational commitment on cooperation and safety behavior. The results of the analysis confirmed that the relations between emotional burnout, empowerment and organizational commitment as well as the relations between cooperation and safety behavior had negative effects. In contrast, the results of the analysis confirmed that empowerment and organizational commitment had positive effects on safety behavior and cooperation, and were effective because of all interactions among emotional burnout, safety behavior and cooperation. In conclusion this study convincingly demonstrates that emotional control, empowerment and organizational commitment of controller and engineer are important factors to secure safe operation of trains based on high safety behavior and cooperation behavior.
- C. Cherniss (1980) Staff burnout: Job stress in the human services, Berverley hills; Sage publication.
- T.A. Wright, S.E. Hobfoll (2004) Commitment, psychological well-being and job performance, an resources theory and job burnout, Journal of Businesses and Management, 9(4), pp.389-406.
- C. Maslach (1982) Burnout: the cost of caring, englewood cliffs, N. J: Prentice-Hill.
- M.H. Roh, S.S. Kwon, J.H. Park (2009) A Study on an Antecedent and Consequences of Emotional Labor in Bureaucratic Organization: Relations among Self-Consciousness, Emotional Labor Strategies and Attitudes, Korea Corporation Management Association[A research business administration], 16(3), pp.105-123.
- Katariina, Jari-Erik (2004) Employees' motivational orientation and well-being at work: a person-oriented approach, Journal of organizational change management, 17(5), pp. 471-489. https://doi.org/10.1108/09534810410554498
- S.J. Moon (2010) Structural model of nurses' intentions of changing workplaces, PhD Thesis, Kyunghee University.
- T.S. Kim, C.Y. Hur, J. Hwang-Bo (2013) Effect of KTX attendants' emotional labor on emotional exhaustion and turnover intention, Journal of The Korean Society for Railway, 16(1), pp. 71-77. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2013.16.1.071
- M. Leiter, C. Maslach (1988), The impact of interpersonal environment on bumout and organizational commitment, Journal of Organizational Behavior, 9(4), pp. 297-308. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030090402
- R. M. Kanter (1983) The change masters, New York: Simon & schuster.
- S.D. Ashford, R.T. Lee, P. Bobko (1989) Content, causes and consequences of job insecurity: A theory-based measure and substantive test, Academy of Management Journal, 32, pp. 803-829. https://doi.org/10.2307/256569
- L. Shore, S.J. Wayne (1993) Commitment and employee behavior: Comparison of effective commitment and continuance commitment with perceived organizational support, Journal of Applied Psychology, 78, pp. 774-780. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.78.5.774
- J. Hwang-Bo, C.Y. Hur, Y.J. Ju (2011) A Study on Labor-Management Cooperation and Corporation Performance resulted from Integrated Human Resource Management Types: Focus on Urban Railroad Corporations, Journal of The Korean Society for Railway 14(3), pp. 300-311. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2011.14.3.300
- G.M. Spreitzer (1995) Psychological empowerment in the workplace: Dimensions, Measurement and validation, Academy of Management Journal, 38, pp. 1442-1465. https://doi.org/10.2307/256865
- R.A. Steers, L.W. Porter (1979) Motivation and Work Behavior, 2nd ed., New York: McGraw-Hill.
- C. Maslach, S.E. Jackson (1986) Maslach burnout inventory manual, 2th ed., Palo alto, C.A.: Consulting psychologists press.
- L. Becky, Omdahl, O'Donnell. Carol (1999) Emotional contagion, empathic concern and communicative responsiveness as variables affecting nurses stress and occupational commitment, Journal of Advanced Nursing, 29(6), pp. 1351-1359. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.1999.01021.x
- K.T. Jung (2012) A study on the effect of empathy oriented behavior on the organizational of junior leaders in the military, PhD Thesis, Hannam University.
- R.T. Mowday, R.M. Steers, L.W. Poter (1979) The measurement of organizational commitment, Journal of Vocational Behavior, 14, pp. 224-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-8791(79)90072-1
- K.L. Moon (2009) A study of safety behavior, A Master's Thesis, Catholic University.
- W.Y. Lee (2004) Influence of job insecurity, organizational commitment, and safety climate on safety behavior and accidents, PhD Thesis, Korea University.
- W.C. Liao, C.C. Tsai (2001) A study of cockpit crew teamwork behavior: Team performance management, The International Journal, 7(1), pp. 21-26.
- D.J. Choi (2002) Relationships of organizational environment, Trust and cooperation behavior in virtualized organization, A Master's Thesis, Korea University.
- D.Y. Kim (2009) Amos A to Z, Hakhyunsa, Gyeonggi-do, pp. 38-52.
- A Study on the Effect of Metro Employees' Perceived ISO Quality Management Employees on Customer Satisfaction Performance vol.17, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2014.17.6.443
- The Effect of Railway Corporation Leadership of Middle Manager Employees' on Empowerment and Innovative Behavior vol.18, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2015.18.6.609