- Volume 16 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Market Taxonomy Approach for the Export of Korean Railway Systems
한국 철도시스템의 해외진출을 위한 시장유형론적 접근
- Choi, Sung-Ho (Graduate School of Public Administration, Kyonggi University)
- Received : 2013.08.11
- Accepted : 2013.10.10
- Published : 2013.10.31
The market taxonomy approach may lead to the most effective strategy to promote the export of Korean Railway Systems. By prioritizing opportunities in the global marketplace and subsequently identifying market segments, this approach will reveal the most effective market strategies for Korean rail exporters. This study suggests the market potential index. In addition, it also introduces how market segmentation should be done for the global rail supply market. Applying the market taxonomy to derive strategic implications, this study portrays several export projects currently being undertaken by the Korean rail industry.
- UNIFE (2010) and Boston Consulting (2010) UNIFE World Market Study; Status Quo and Outlook 2020.
- Akizki and Gonagai (2010) Scenario of Japanese Rail Businesses' Going Overseas by way of the Alliance with Foreign Operators, Creation of Intellectual Property, July 2010, pp.26-41.
- Y.S. Lee, D.S. Moon (2008) A Case Study on the Competitive System of EU Railway Transport Market, Journal of the Korean Society for Rail, 11(5), pp.455-464.
- Ozawa Sigeki (2010) New Viewpoint on the Export of the Railway: Emergence of New Rivals, Japanese Bureau of Transportation Survey.
- Papadopoulos, N., O.M. Martín (2011) International Market Selection and Segmentation: Perspectives and Challenges, International Marketing Review, 28(2), pp.132-149. https://doi.org/10.1108/02651331111122632
- Brouthers, L.E., S. Mukhopadhyay, T.J. Wilkinson, K.D. Brouthers (2009) International Market Selection and Subsidiary Performance: A Neural Network Approach, Journal of World Business, 44(3), pp. 262-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwb.2008.08.004
- Martín, O. and N. Papadopoulos (2007) Internationalization and Performance: Evidence from Spanish Firms, Journal of Euromarketing, 16(1/2), pp. 87-103. https://doi.org/10.1300/J037v16n01_07
- de Mooij, M. (2004) Consumer Behavior and Culture: Consequences for Global Marketing and Advertising, Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA.
- Cavusgil, S.T. (1997) Measuring the Potential of Emerging Markets: An Indexing Approach, Business Horizons, 40(1), pp. 87-91.
- GlobalEdge (2011) Market Potential Index (MPI) for Emerging Markets 2010, International Business Center at Michigan State University, February 14, http://globalEDGE.msu.edu/knowledge-tools/mpi/.
- Mullen, M.R. and S.Y. Sheng (2007) Extending and Comparing Cavusgil's Overall Market Opportunity Indexes, Advances in International Marketing, 17, pp. 219-249.
- Smith, W.R. (1956) Product Differentiation and Market Segmentation as Alternative Marketing Strategies, Journal of Marketing, 21, pp.3-8. https://doi.org/10.2307/1247695
- Y. Wind (1978) Issues and Advances in Segmentation Research. Journal of Marketing Research, 15, pp.317-337. https://doi.org/10.2307/3150580
- S.P. Kalafatis, V. Cheston (1997) Normative models and practical applications of segmentation in business markets. Industrial Marketing Management 26, pp. 519-530. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0019-8501(97)00032-1
- K. Sausen, T. Tomczak, A. Herrmann (2005) Development of a Taxonomy of Strategic Market Segmentation: a Framework for Bridging the Implementation Gap between Normative Segmentation and Business Practice, Journal of Strategic Marketing, 13(3), pp. 151-173. https://doi.org/10.1080/09652540500171340
- Analysis of Influence Factors and Current Conditions for Korean Railway Export vol.19, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2016.19.3.363