- Volume 22 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Removal Characteristics of Crystal Violet and Methylene Blue from Aqueous Solution using Wood-based Activated Carbon
목질계 활성탄에 의한 수중의 Methylene blue와 Crystal violet의 제거 특성
- Received : 2013.03.11
- Accepted : 2013.05.09
- Published : 2013.11.29
The adsorption ability of wood-based activated carbon to adsorb methylene blue (MB) and crystal violet (CV) from aqueous solution has been investigated. Adsorption studies were carried out on the batch experiment at different initial MB and CV concentrations (MB=150 mg/L~400 mg/L, CV=50 mg/L~350 mg/L), contact time, and temperature. The results showed that the MB and CV adsorption process followed the pseudo-second-order kinetic and intraparticle diffusion was the rate-limiting step. Adsorption equilibrium data of the adsorption process fitted very well to both Langmuir and Freundlich model. The maximum adsorption capacity (
Dye;Crystal violet;Methylene blue;Activated carbon;Adsorption
- Ahmad, R., 2009, Studies on adsorption of crystal violet dye from aqueous solution onto coniferous pinus bark powder (CPBP), J. Hazard. Mater., 171, 767-773. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.06.060
- Anirudhan, T. S., Suchithra, P. S., 2010, Heavy metals uptake from aqueous solutions and industrial wastewaters by humic acid-immobilized polymer/ bentonite composite: Kinetics and equilibrium modeling, Chem. Eng. J., 156, 146-156. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2009.10.011
- Basar, C. A., 2006, Applicability of the various adsorption models of three dyes adsorption onto activated carbon prepared waste apricot. J. Hazard. Mater. B, 135, 232-241. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2005.11.055
- Carliell, C. M., Barclay, S. J., Buckley, C. A., 1996, Treatment of exhausted reactive dye bath effluent using anaerobic digestion: Laboratory and full scale trials, Wat. Res., 22, 225-233.
- El-Sayed, G. O., 2011, Removal of methylene blue and crystal violet from aqueous solutions by palm kernel fiber, Desalination, 272, 225-232. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2011.01.025
- Farinella, N. V., Matos, G. D., Arruda, M. A. Z., 2007, Grape bagasse as a potential biosorbent of metals in effluent treatments, Bioresour. Technol., 98, 1940-1946. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2006.07.043
- Gnanasambandam, R., Proctor, A., 2000, Determination of pectin degree of esterification by diffuse reflectance Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy, Food Chem., 68, 327-332. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(99)00191-0
- Hamdaoui, O., 2006, Batch study of liquid-phase adsorption of methylene blue using cedar sawdust and crushed brick, J. Hazard. Mater. B, 135, 264-273. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2005.11.062
- Hameed, B. H., Ahmad, A. L., Latiff, K. N. A., 2007, Adsorption of basic dye (methylene blue) onto activated carbon prepared from rattan sawdust, Dyes Pigm., 75, 143-149. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dyepig.2006.05.039
- Hao, O. J., Kim, H., Chiang, P.C., 2000, Decolorization of wastewater, Crit. Rev. Environ. Sci. Technol., 30, 449-505. https://doi.org/10.1080/10643380091184237
- Ho, Y. S., Mckay, G., 1999, Pseudo second order model for sorption processes, Process Biochem., 34, 451-465. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0032-9592(98)00112-5
- Karagoz, S., Tay, T., Ucar, S., Erdem, M., 2008, Activated carbons from waste biomass by sulfuric acid activation and their use on methylene blue adsorption, Bioresour. Technol., 99, 6214-6222. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2007.12.019
- Lee, M. G., Kam, S. K., Suh, K. H., 2012, Adsorption of non-degradable eosin Y by activated carbon, J. Environ. Sci., 21, 623-631.
- Lee, S. W., Lee, M. G., Park, S. B., 2008, Comparison of surface characteristics and adsorption characteristics of activated carbons changed by acid and base modification, J. Environ. Sci., 17, 565-571.
- Malik, P. K., Saha, S. K., 2003, Oxidation of direct dyes with hydrogen peroxide using ferrous ion as catalyst, Sep. Purif. Technol., 31, 241-250. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1383-5866(02)00200-9
- Mohanty, K., Naidu, J. T., Meikap, B. C., Biswas, M. N., 2006, Removal of crystal violet from wastewater by activated carbons prepared from rice husk, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 45, 5165-5171. https://doi.org/10.1021/ie060257r
- Perkins, W. S., 1980, Renovation of dyebath water by chlorination and ozonation Part 3, J. Am. Assoc. Text. Chem. Colour., 12(10), 262-272.
- Seki, Y., Yurdakoc, K., 2009, Equilibrium, kinetics and thermodynamic aspects of promethazine hydrochloride sorption by iron rich smectite, Colloids Surf. A, 340, 143-148. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2009.03.020
- Senthilkumaar, S., Kalaamani, P., Subburaam, C. V., 2006, Liquid phase adsorption of crystal violet onto activated carbons derived from male flowers of coconut tree, J. Hazard. Mater., 136, 800-808. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2006.01.045
- Tan, I. A. W., Ahmad, A. L., Hameed, B. H., 2008, Adsorption of basic dye on high surface area activated carbon prepared from coconut husk: Equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic studies, J. Hazard. Mater., 154, 337-346. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2007.10.031
- Weber, W. J., Morris, J. C., 1963, Kinetics of adsorption on carbon from solution, J. Sanit. Eng. Div. ASCE, 89, 31-60.
- Yang, J., Qiu, K., 2010, Preparation of activated carbons from walnut shells via vacuum chemical activation and their application for methylene blue removal, Chem. Eng. J., 165, 209-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2010.09.019