- Volume 38 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Classification Index and Grade Levels for Energy Efficiency Classification of Agricultural Heaters in Korea
- Shin, Chang Seop (Research Institute for Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Jang, Ji Hoon (Department of Biosystems and Biomaterial Science and Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Young Tae (Foundation of Agricultural Technology Commercialization & Transfer) ;
- Kim, Kyeong Uk (Research Institute for Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2013.08.24
- Accepted : 2013.10.09
- Published : 2013.12.01
Purpose: This study was carried out to develop a classification index and grade levels to rate agricultural heaters for energy efficiency classification. Methods: The classification index was developed mainly by taking simplicity of calculation and easy access to relevant data into consideration. The grade levels were developed on the basis of a 5-grade classification system in which graded heaters are to be normally distributed over the grades. The value of each grade level were determined in terms of the classification index values calculated using the published performance data of agricultural heaters tested at the FACT in Korea over the past 12 years. Results: The thermal efficiency of agricultural heaters based on the enthalpy method was proposed as a reasonable classification index. The grade levels were proposed in equation form for three types of agricultural heaters: fossil fuel heaters, wood pellet heaters and wood pellet boilers. A reasonable energy efficiency classification of agricultural heaters could be performed using the proposed classification index and grade levels. Conclusions: It is expected that energy saving programs will be extended to agricultural machines in the near future. The classification index and grade levels to rate agricultural heaters for energy efficiency classification were developed and proposed for such near future to come.
Grant : Cooperative Research Program for Agriculture Science & Technology Development
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- Shin, C. S., K. U. Kim and K. W. Kim. 2012. Energy Efficiency Classification of Agricultural Tractors in Korea. Journal of Biosystems Engineering 37(4):215-224. https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2012.37.4.215
- FACT. 2012. Testing method of agricultural heaters. Foundation of Agricultural Technology Commercialization and Transfer. Suwon, Korea. Available at: http://lab.fact.or.kr/front/analysis/AgriMachMethodAction.do?method=view&buSeqNo=1630.
- Ministry of Knowledge Economy. 2012. Standard Operating Procedure for Efficiency Management Equipments.
- National Agricultural Cooperative Federation. 2011. Tax free fuel by machine('07-'10). Seoul, Korea.
- Rural Development Administration National Academy of Agricultural Science. 2010. New Agricultural Energy Saving Technology. Publication registration number: 11-1390802-000306-01.
- Kim, Y. J., G. C. Kang, Y. J. Kim, C. K. Kim and J. W. Seo. 2012. Energy Efficiency Classification for Agricultural Heater. Journal of Materials Science and Engineering B 2 (6) (2012) 1149-1154.
- Classification Index and Grade Levels for Energy Efficiency Classification of Agricultural Dryers in Korea vol.39, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2014.39.2.096