- Volume 35 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Design of Dual-Band MIMO Antenna with High Isolation for WLAN Mobile Terminal
- Lee, Jung-Nam (Communications Internet Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Lee, Kwang-Chun (Communications Internet Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Park, Nam-Hoon (Communications Internet Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Park, Jong-Kweon (Department of Radio Wave Engineering, Hanbat National University)
- Received : 2012.04.23
- Accepted : 2012.09.13
- Published : 2013.04.01
In this paper, we propose a dual-band multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) antenna with high isolation for WLAN applications (2.45 GHz and 5.2 GHz). The proposed antenna is composed of a mobile communication terminal board, eight radiators, a coaxial feed line, and slots for isolation. The measured -10 dB impedance bandwidths are 10.1% (2.35 GHz to 2.6 GHz) and 3.85% (5.1 GHz to 5.3 GHz) at each frequency band. The proposed four-element MIMO antenna has an isolation of better than 35 dB at 2.45 GHz and 45 dB at 5.2 GHz between each element. The antenna gain is 3.2 dBi at 2.45 GHz and 4.2 dBi at 5.2 GHz.
Grant : Development of B4G Mobile Communication Technologies for Smart Mobile Services
Supported by : MKE/KEIT
- M. Karaboikis et al., "Compact Dual-Printed Inverted-F Antenna Diversity Systems for Portable Wireless Devices," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., vol. 3, no. 1, 2004, pp. 9-14. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2004.825106
- Y. Gao et al., "Modified PIFA and Its Array for MIMO Terminals," IEE Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag., vol. 152, Aug. 2005, pp. 255-259. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-map:20045180
- K. Chung and J.H. Yoon, "Integrated MIMO Antenna with High Isolation Characteristic," Electron. Lett., vol. 43, Feb. 2007, pp. 199-201. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:20070012
- C.C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C.G. Parini, "A Compact Four-Element Diversity-Antenna Array for PDA Terminals in a MIMO System," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., vol. 44, Mar. 2005, pp. 408-412. https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.20650
- K.L. Wong et al., "Three-Antenna MIMO System for WLAN Operation in a PDA Phone," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., vol. 48, July 2006, pp. 1238-1242. https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.21665
- M. Manteghi and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "A Novel Miniaturized Triband PIFA for MIMO Applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., vol. 49, Mar. 2007, pp. 724-731. https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.22239
- D. Sievenpiper et al., "High-Impedance Electromagnetic Surfaces with a Forbidden Frequency Band," IEEE Trans. Microw Theory Techniques, vol. 47, Nov. 1999, pp. 2059-2074. https://doi.org/10.1109/22.798001
- J. Thaysen and K.B. Jakobsen, "Design Considerations for Low Antenna Correlation and Mutual Coupling Reduction in Multiantenna Terminals," European Trans. Telecommun., vol. 18, 2007, pp. 319-326. https://doi.org/10.1002/ett.1111
- B. Lindmark and S. Garcia-Garcia, "Compact Antenna Array for MIMO Applications at 1800 and 2450 MHz," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., vol. 48, Oct. 2006, pp. 2034-2037. https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.21843
- Ansys, High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS), ver. 10, 2005.
- F. Yang and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip Antennas Integrated with Electromagnetic Band-Gap (EBG) Structures: A Low Mutual Coupling Design for Array Applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., vol. 51, Oct. 2003, pp. 2936-2946. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2003.817983
- L. Li et al., "Locally Resonant Cavity Cell Model for Electromagnetic Band Gap Structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., vol. 54, Jan. 2006, pp. 90-100. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2005.861532
- A. Diallo et al., "Study and Reduction of the Mutual Coupling Between Two Mobile Phone PIFAs Operating in the DCS 1800 and UMTS Bands," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., vol. 54, Nov. 2006, pp. 3063-3074. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2006.883981
- A. Chebihi et al., "A Novel Isolation Technique for Closely Spaced PIFAs for UMTS Mobile Phones," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., vol. 7, 2008, pp. 665-668. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2008.2009887
- K.L. Wong and W.Y. Chen, "Small-Size Printed Loop-Type Antenna Integrated with Two Stacked Coupled-Fed Shorted Strip Monopoles for Eight-Band LTE/GSM/UMTS Operation in the Mobile Phone," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., vol. 52, July 2010, pp. 1471-1476. https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.25257
- Z. Jin, J.H. Lim, and T.Y. Yun, "Small-Size and High-Isolation MIMO Antenna for WLAN," ETRI J., vol. 34. no. 1, Feb. 2012, pp. 114-117.
- K.S. Min, D.J. Kim, and Y.M. Moon, "Improved MIMO Antenna by Mutual Coupling Suppression between Elements," European Conf. Wireless Technol., Paris, France, Oct. 2005, pp. 125-128.
- R.G. Vaughan and J.B. Andersen, Channels, Propagation and Antennas for Mobile Communications, Stevenage, England: IET, Jan. 2003. http://www.theiet.org/resources/books/electro/19103.cfm
- Z. Li, Z. Du, and K. Gong, "A Dual-Slot Diversity Antenna with Isolation Enhancement Using Parasitic Elements for Mobile Handsets," Asia Pacific Microw. Conf., Singapore, Dec. 2009, pp. 1821-1824.
- Computer Simulation Technology (CST), Microwave Studio (MWS), 3D EM simulation software.
- R.G. Vaughan and J.B. Andersen, "Antenna Diversity in Mobile Communications," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., vol. 36, Nov. 1987, pp. 149-172. https://doi.org/10.1109/T-VT.1987.24115
- S. Blanch, J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact Representation of Antenna System Diversity Performance from Input Parameter Description," Electron. Lett., vol. 39, no. 9, 2003, pp. 705-707. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:20030495
- IEC, "Human Exposure to Radio Frequency Fields from Hand- Held and Body-Mounted Wireless Communication Devices - Human Models, Instrumentation, and Procedures - Part 1: Procedure to Determine the Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) for Hand-Held Devices Used in Close Proximity to the Ear (Frequency Range of 300 MHz to 3 GHz)," IEC 62209-1, Feb. 2005.