- Volume 35 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A New Modified MPPM for High-Speed Wireless Optical Communication Systems
- Rouissat, Mehdi (Department of Electronic, Laboratory of Telecommunications (LTT), Abou Bekr Belkaid University) ;
- Borsali, Riad A. (Department of Electronic, Laboratory of Telecommunications (LTT), Abou Bekr Belkaid University) ;
- Chikh-Bled, Mohammad E. (Department of Electronic, Laboratory of Telecommunications (LTT), Abou Bekr Belkaid University)
- Received : 2012.03.29
- Accepted : 2013.01.09
- Published : 2013.04.01
Previous work proposed combining multipulse pulse position modulation (MPPM) with pulse amplitude modulation to form multipulse amplitude and position modulation (MPAPM), which is a hybrid modulation that results in an improvement in bandwidth efficiency but a degradation in power efficiency. In this paper, to achieve greater power efficiency and a better data rate, we propose multipulse dual amplitude-width modulation, based on MPAPM and pulse width modulation. The proposed scheme shows a remarkable improvement in data rate and a 1.5-dB improvement in power efficiency over MPAPM, while sustaining the bandwidth efficiency. After introducing symbol structure, we present the theoretical expressions of spectral efficiency, the power requirements, and the normalized data rate, as well as the results of comparing the proposed modulation to MPPM and MPAPM.
- S. Sabi and N. Vijayakumar, "Simulation of a Modem Using Digital Pulse Interval Modulation for Wireless Optical Links," 10th National Conf. Technol. Trends, Nov. 2009.
- H. Sugiyama and K. Nosu, "MPPM: A Method for Improving the Band-Utilization Efficiency in Optical PPM," J. Lightw. Technol., vol. 7, 1989, pp. 465-472. https://doi.org/10.1109/50.16882
- Y. Fan, B. Bai, and R.J. Green, "PPMPWM: A New Modulation Format for Wireless Optical Communications," 7th Int. Symp. Commun. Syst. Netw. Digital Signal Process., July 2010, pp. 604- 609.
- Y. Zeng, R. Green, and M. Leeson, "Multiple Pulse Amplitude and Position Modulation for the Optical Wireless Channel," 10th Anniversary Int. Conf. Transparent Opt. Netw., June 2008, pp. 193-196.
- J.M. Budinger et al., "Combinatorial Pulse Position Modulation for Power-Efficient Free-Space Laser Communications," Proc. SPIE, vol. 1866, Jan. 1993.
- H. Park and J.R. Barry, "Modulation Analysis for Wireless Infrared Communications," Proc, IEEE Int. Conf. Commun., Seattle, WA, USA, June 1995. pp. 1182-1186.
- M. Rouissat, A.R Borsali, and M. Chick-Bled, "AH-MPPM a New Modulation Scheme for Free Space Optical Communication Systems," IEEE Conf. High Capacity Opt. Netw. Enabling Technol., Dec. 2011, pp. 106-110.