- Volume 35 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Performance Analysis of Compressed Sensing Given Insufficient Random Measurements
- Rateb, Ahmad M. (Telecommunications Research Group, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia) ;
- Syed-Yusof, Sharifah Kamilah (Telecommunications Research Group, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia)
- Received : 2012.05.22
- Accepted : 2012.10.26
- Published : 2013.04.01
Most of the literature on compressed sensing has not paid enough attention to scenarios in which the number of acquired measurements is insufficient to satisfy minimal exact reconstruction requirements. In practice, encountering such scenarios is highly likely, either intentionally or unintentionally, that is, due to high sensing cost or to the lack of knowledge of signal properties. We analyze signal reconstruction performance in this setting. The main result is an expression of the reconstruction error as a function of the number of acquired measurements.
- D.L. Donoho, "Compressed Sensing," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, vol. 52, no. 4, 2006, pp. 1289-1306. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIT.2006.871582
- C.R. Berger et al., "Sparse Channel Estimation for Multicarrier Underwater Acoustic Communication: From Subspace Methods to Compressed Sensing," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., vol. 58, no. 3, 2010, pp. 1708-1721. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSP.2009.2038424
- M. Lustig, D. Donoho, and J.M. Pauly, "Sparse MRI: The Application of Compressed Sensing for Rapid MR Imaging," Magn. Resonance Medicine, vol. 58, no. 6, 2007, pp. 1182-1195. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrm.21391
- J. Bobin, J.L. Starck, and R. Ottensamer, "Compressed Sensing in Astronomy," IEEE J. Sel. Topics Signal Process., vol. 2, no. 5, 2008, pp. 718-726. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSTSP.2008.2005337
- M.A. Herman and T. Strohmer, "High-Resolution Radar via Compressed Sensing," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., vol. 57, no. 6, 2009, pp. 2275-2284. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSP.2009.2014277
- J. Ma, "Single-Pixel Remote Sensing," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sensing Lett., vol. 6, no. 2, 2009, pp. 199-203. https://doi.org/10.1109/LGRS.2008.2010959
- E. Candès, J. Romberg, and T. Tao, "Stable Signal Recovery from Incomplete and Inaccurate Measurements," Commun. Pure Appl. Mathematics, vol. 59, no. 8, 2006, pp. 1207-1223. https://doi.org/10.1002/cpa.20124
- S.S. Chen, D.L. Donoho, and M.A. Saunders, "Atomic Decomposition by Basis Pursuit," SIAM J. Sci. Computing, vol. 20, no. 1, 1999, pp. 33-61.
- E. Candès and T. Tao, "Decoding by Linear Programming," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, vol. 51, no. 12, 2005, pp. 4203-4215. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIT.2005.858979
- E. Candès, "The Restricted Isometry Property and Its Implications for Compressed Sensing," Comptes Rendus Mathematique, vol. 346, no. 9-10, 2008, pp. 589-592. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.crma.2008.03.014
- J. Tropp and A.C. Gilbert, "Signal Recovery from Random Measurements via Orthogonal Matching Pursuit," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, vol. 53, no. 12, 2007, pp. 4655-4666. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIT.2007.909108
- S. Boyd and L. Vandenberghe, Convex Optimization, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004.
- R. Hecht-Nielsen, "Context Vectors: General Purpose Approximate Meaning Representations Self-Organized from Raw Data," Computational Intelligence: Imitating Life, J. Zurada, R. Marks, and C. Robinson, Eds., IEEE Press, 1994, pp. 43-56.
- E. Candès and T. Tao, "Near Optimal Signal Recovery from Random Projections: Universal Encoding Strategies?" IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, vol. 52, no. 12, 2006, pp. 5406-5425. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIT.2006.885507
- R. Baraniuk et al., "A Simple Proof of the Restricted Isometry Property for Random Matrices," Constructive Approximation, vol. 28, no. 3, 2008, pp. 253-263. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00365-007-9003-x
- J. Tropp et al., "Beyond Nyquist: Effcient Sampling of Sparse, Bandlimited Signals," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, vol. 56, no. 1, 2010, pp. 520-544. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIT.2009.2034811
- D. Achlioptas, "Database-Friendly Random Projections," Proc. Symp. Principles Database Syst., Santa Barbara, CA, USA, May 2001, pp. 274-281.
- J.G. Proakis and D.K. Manolakis, Digital Signal Processing, 4th ed., Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, 2006.
- S.M. Ross, Introduction to Probability Theory, New York: Academic Press, 1981.
E. Candes and J. Romberg,
$\ell$1-Magic: reconstruction of sparse signals. Available: http://users.ece.gatech.edu/-justin/l1magic/